CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 09-20-2008, 01:50 PM   #1
Darren Zega

Profile:  
Plug for Starting Strength

My side project while I'm going through army engineer basic officer leader course (the second phase of army officer basic) is 12 weeks of SS with a GOMAD. I have a lot more free time than I did in the last phase, so barbell training seemed like the perfect solution! I'm just starting week three and I'm seeing great results so far.

I started at 80% of my previous 5rm and have either met or exceeded all of them at this point. The weight I'm putting up isn't much more than I have been for sets of five, but it feels MUCH easier than it ever did, REALLY easy. What used to be a really strenuous effort and would leave me sore is now not much of a strain at all. I'm forcing myself to not increase my lifts faster out of fear that itíll slow my progress in the long run.

In terms of body composition, I've gone from 170 to 178 lbs in two weeks and most of the weight appears to muscle. I was worried about getting pudgy going into the GOMAD, but itís not the case. Iím having the largest growth in my chest, lower back and thighs (Just like Rip says, training the bench press sure does give you big chesticles quickly). Using the highly scientific measurement of my eye, I would guess that I'm still at right around 13% bf, the same that I started at (Actually, probably less since I've added more muscle than fat). I should also note that I'm doing traditional army PT five days a week, but it's a traditional (read: easy and unproductive) PT program compared to the CF style I had at my last training phase.

One final note, drinking the damn milk is harder than the lifts. I have to pop one lactaid tablet for about every 10 oz of milk to prevent some rather...unpleasant lower digestive issues. I never was lactose intolerant, but a gallon of day will wreak havoc on anyone's colon, I guess. When my weight hits 190 or 195, depending how my lifts are going, I'll switch from whole to 2% and start trying to improve my strength to weight ratio. But I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

I've posted my planned progression and actual progress. If you guys have any feedback please let me know.
Attached Files
File Type: email Starting Strength Progression.xls (142.0 KB, 232 views)
Old 09-20-2008, 02:01 PM   #2
Darren Zega

Profile:  
Re: Plug for Starting Strength

Just realized I posted the wrong spreadsheet. Here's the most up to date one.
Attached Files
File Type: email Starting Strength Progression.xls (142.0 KB, 268 views)
Old 09-20-2008, 10:06 PM   #3
Gavin Harrison

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren Zega View Post
One final note, drinking the damn milk is harder than the lifts. I have to pop one lactaid tablet for about every 10 oz of milk to prevent some rather...unpleasant lower digestive issues.
You might look into something called < Moderator's Intervention: the product is called "Digestive Advantage". The link is deleted because the OP couldn't be bothered to type 3 freakin' little letters, and I'm tired of begging. Undesignated links start going down.>

It costs about as much as lactaid per cap, but you take it once a day, as opposed to # of times you drink milk in a day.

Last edited by David Wood : 09-21-2008 at 07:35 AM.
Old 09-20-2008, 11:45 PM   #4
Daniel Watts

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin Harrison View Post
You might look into something called <Link is deleted here, too>. It costs about as much as lactaid per cap, but you take it once a day, as opposed to # of times you drink milk in a day.
That's what I used when I was doing SS and I definitely recommend it.

Last edited by David Wood : 09-21-2008 at 07:36 AM.
Old 09-21-2008, 05:02 AM   #5
Alex Hain

Profile:

Why are you drinking a gallon of milk a day? You eat at the DFAC which means there are plenty of protein sources. Go to the PX (not GNC) and buy some whey, don't let anyone on here beat you up about it either.

Oh, and I'm not sure about EOBC, but don't you guys have a Pre-Ranger PT program? See if you can get one started. At AOBC I took over the Pre-Ranger program and so we just did crossfit for PT and didn't have to deal with the dumb class PT.