CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 06-26-2008, 11:31 AM   #1
Bart Hodlik

Profile:
Heads up for anyone looking at potentially affiliating soon

This article was featured in google news today(26Jun). For anyone who has had issues with getting the exact name they would like for their website, such as myself, this article and the actions of ICANN may help with that.

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post...-new-tlds.html
Old 06-26-2008, 12:08 PM   #2
Sean Kufel

Profile:
Re: Heads up for anyone looking at potentially affiliating soon

Seems interesting. The way I'm reading it, though, it's not really for just anybody to register a top-level domain, judging from the exhaustive review process and the $100K-$500K price tag. It seems as though, once it goes into effect, an organization (say, for instance, CF HQ) could apply to purchase a new TLD (say, for instance, .crossfit). Then once it was determined that it was not offensive and that CF HQ could, either on their own or through another company, manage everything under the .crossfit domain, they'd have to pony up the dough. Only then could they begin selling domain names to individual affiliates, i.e. "www.crossfitcleveland.crossfit", "www.crossfithq.crossfit", etc.

Which would, admittedly, be cool.

Last edited by Sean Kufel : 06-26-2008 at 12:09 PM. Reason: links not real
Old 06-26-2008, 01:34 PM   #3
Bart Hodlik

Profile:

my exact thoughts. even if CF HQ didn't undertake this task, the affiliates themselves could organize and undertake this. I have no idea how many affiliates are out there, but even if 100 affiliates got together to do this, the cost per affiliate would be 1000, if the application fee was on the low side. That money could be recouped through future affiliates as well. Not sure how that would work out, but that is definitely something to consider. Not mention CF would have that much of an easier time growing as a community, culture and business entity.
Old 06-26-2008, 01:37 PM   #4
Bart Hodlik

Profile:

ohh and it would be far easier to control situations like what occurred in South Africa, with our lovely "affiliate" there.
Old 06-26-2008, 01:52 PM   #5
Roger Harrell

Profile:

My main question is why? Didn't anyone learn from the .biz/.info, etc introduction that it really does not open up the namespace much to add a new TLD. There's still trademark control, and name confusion issues. This just means more of a mess and more confusion about names.
Old 06-26-2008, 01:59 PM   #6
Bart Hodlik

Profile:

Guess it depends on how the new TLD's were regulated. I agree that such a broad expansion will create confusion, if not a lot of bookmarking. But if the individual organizations or companies were regulating their own domain, then I think the trademark infringement would be reduced, if it were set up so that registration had to flow through whatever org/company.
Old 06-26-2008, 06:21 PM   #7
Patrick Donnelly

Profile:

I think they just broke the internet.

On a slightly related note, I hate this website above all others: http://www.hotmial.com/ (WFS)
Old 06-27-2008, 05:13 PM   #8
Kylie Lindbeck

Profile:

As someone looking to affiliate here in Australia within the next week and who has NO idea about web and URLs... etc.
We are looking to get our domain name pretty soon, there is no way to dodge this really is there? i mean if its something were going to have to fork out in a year or so then so be it, but if by anyway we can avoid it from the start then id be all for it. Does anyone know?
Old 06-28-2008, 01:18 PM   #9
Bart Hodlik

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylie Lindbeck View Post
As someone looking to affiliate here in Australia within the next week and who has NO idea about web and URLs... etc.
We are looking to get our domain name pretty soon, there is no way to dodge this really is there? i mean if its something were going to have to fork out in a year or so then so be it, but if by anyway we can avoid it from the start then id be all for it. Does anyone know?
Well you won't have to pay the fee's that the article is talking about, to get a domain name. If you are starting your website, then you'll just have to figure out what domain to use, i.e. .dot, .net, .org, etc... from there its all about getting the name you want without it being taken already. To register a domain name, depending on who you go through, its roughly ten us dollars.