CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 06-18-2008, 06:44 AM   #1
Tres O Johnson

Profile:
Relatively new crossfitter taking a break. Some questions about the 'break'

Sort of crossposted from my workout log. But since no one reads that I thought it might be better to pose this question here.

After some analysis over the last week or so, I've come to the conclusion that I am overtrained (or under recovered). I say this because I haven't been "there" psychologically and it's because of being physcially exhausted BEFORE and AFTER I warm-up. At first I thought my lack of energy was due to my nutrition. But I've come to the conclusion that nutrition could not be the problem. Why? Well, I've been CrossFitting and zoning the way I've been zoning for two months and prior to the last 10 or so days I've been fine. If the diet was failing me then I think it would have happened sooner considering CrossFit's intensity level. It must be the fact that I haven't taken a single day off nor have I taken any half intensity cycles (I wasn't aware that people took them!)

Therefore, I will be taking sometime off, maybe about a week. It will give me time to try to figure out if I can afford two memberships to my local affiliate for my wife and I (which will have to be decided by Wednesday) as well as rest my CNS and mind.

The only problem I have though is that taking that much time off doing nothing (I don't really do or have any time for anything but CrossFit) will be hard. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I could use for 'active recovery'? I was thinking of running a mile or so every other day or something because I suck at running but I'm worried that I'll lose too much strength/muscle doing so. Or perhaps I just need to take the time off completely and not do anything but cut the grass, clean the garage, do stuff on my wife's 'Honey do' list, etc.

Any suggestions?
Old 06-18-2008, 06:51 AM   #2
Frederic Giraud

Profile:
Re: Relatively new crossfitter taking a break. Some questions about the 'break'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tres O Johnson View Post
Or perhaps I just need to take the time off completely and not do anything but cut the grass, clean the garage, do stuff on my wife's 'Honey do' list, etc.
That or just grab your wife for a good 1h-1h30 walk each day/evening. Good times. More active than watching a good movie with her.

Of course the best would be to play some sport at low-to-moderate intensity but since time is an issue here ( even tho 1h-1h30 walks are long) I don't know.

Just Relax. How you get into that relaxed state is up to you. Some go hiking, others meditate. Just try not to be completely lethargic
Old 06-18-2008, 08:09 AM   #3
Phillip Garrison

Profile:

In other words, do whats called "active rest" which is low intensity exericse, or less structured activities done for a while to recover the bodies CNS, but still keep you active. Go for a bike ride, go hiking, play some pick up basketball.
Old 06-18-2008, 08:22 PM   #4
Dylan Eddy

Profile:

ditto what they said above.

also running every other day for a week is fine. it takes MUCH more volume than a mile every other day to have any impact on strength or muscle mass.

shoot... if you run a hard mile 3 times a week you mught gain muscle.
the LSD/ strength loss thing takes alot more volume and alot less intensity than that.
Old 06-19-2008, 08:49 AM   #5
Brandon Head

Profile:

Maybe try some swimming....always helps me for some "active rest"...
Old 06-19-2008, 09:04 AM   #6
Steven Quadros

Profile:

If you're worried about overtraining or overreaching, then do yourself a favor, suck it up, and take it easy for a week. Easy as in walking for exercise, which is a legitimate and healthy form of exercise, and nothing else. Running a mile multiple times a week, though not hardcore in some eyes, it also not time off, especially if you're going to be working on form and your times. Just take some time off; the pursuit of fitness is a lifelong goal, and two weeks is not a significant amount of time to worry about.
Old 06-19-2008, 07:28 PM   #7
Carl Woodward

Profile:

To avoid over training...courtesy of Larry Lindenman... follow this training schedule.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Lindenman View Post
I haven't been here for a while and have not posted this for a long time, so here goes:

3 weeks hard, all out WODs

1 week half volume

1 week half volume

One week off

Repeat: forever

Half volume is whatever makes sense: half weight, half time, half distance, etc. This allows for recovery, has you coming back stronger, and give you a mental break. When your hitting it hard, you know your going to get some rest in the near future. I half volume if I'm pressed for time or sick. Most people attracted to CF are DRIVEN...take some time to rest or your not going to be in this for the long haul.