CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 04-26-2006, 05:57 PM   #1
George Rafael Prout

Profile:  
hey everybody this is my first post on crossfit so if this is stupid bare with me plz lol. i am currently workin on the armstrong pullup program and am on week 2 day 3. but my question is, if i am starting to experience the tear down, would it be unwise to do other excercises that use some of the same muscles??? in this case dips? i dont know if i should do them now or wait till i reach my goal with the pullups before i start doin dips and i think u guys would know alot more about this than me. thanks
Old 04-27-2006, 01:21 AM   #2
Richard Paul Ham-Williams

Profile:
Hey George

Welcome to Crossfit :-)

I have to say that I am not familiar with the program you speak of, however, if you are following it correctly - does it advise to leave off or to pair the exercises?
I would recommend going by how you feel - are you in pain? Are you over tied?sleeping ok? have you tried both the pull ups and the dips? Did it feel ok?

Unless the program specifies otherwise then do what you feel comfortable with and watch out for overtraining. Even if the program does advise something, dont obey blindly - if you feel pain/overtired both physically and/or mentally, then scale as needed.

I ams ure others will offer their thoughts too - good luck and most important of all - enjoy your training!

Ham
Old 04-27-2006, 04:12 AM   #3
Travis Hall

Profile:

dips are a pressing movement, while pullups are a pulling one.

i think if you are going to replace the pulls within the program, you should find another pulling exercise. maybe rows?

t.
Old 04-27-2006, 05:54 AM   #4
Nick Gagnon

Profile:
I was thinking about trying the Armstrong program with Muscle-ups, that would be fun. :happy:
Old 04-27-2006, 09:03 AM   #5
Motion Macivor

Profile:
George,
I think you could substitute one or two of your morning pushup sets with dips with out any problems. I think a nice gentle swim on one of your days off might help you to get by the "teardown" by loosening your back up a bit.
Let us know how the program works for you. There's a lot of people here who would like to increase their pullup numbers.