CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 05-09-2008, 10:02 AM   #1
Darin L. Deaton

Profile:
New to Crossfit WOD question

I have just started CF but I am not foreign to the concepts. I trained before adapting my workouts to the WOD, and my training was similar, but CF WOD provides more variety. After one has been doing the WOD for a while, do most people develop their own routine/WOD, continue with the WOD or what? The closest CF affiliate is to far for me to join. I am moving and plan on building my own CF gym in a detached building behind my house. Any thoughts?
Old 05-09-2008, 12:50 PM   #2
Scott Allen Hanson

Profile:
Re: New to Crossfit WOD question

Welcome to CrossFit. Basically, you name it, people do it. Some continue to do the WOD for a long time. Others decide that they want to adjust the focus toward Oly Lifting, triathlons, MMA, strength, or gymnastics, and come up with their own program to meet their goals. Many of these people will continue to do WOD's, but on a less regular basis. I'm sure there are some who quickly tire of the WOD or don't like the program and move onto the next great thing, but you don't tend to hear much about those people for obvious reasons (they quit posting).

I encourage you to just do the WOD for 3 months or so before you consider something different.
Old 05-09-2008, 01:16 PM   #3
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

To expand upon the previous post, it seems that most of the people that deviate from the WOD have a particular need (endurance, strength, speed, explosivty) for a particular end (biking, rugby, moving quickly through fires, knocking down doors and the bad guys behind them).

It seems most people stick to the WOD unless they are in the above mentioned group.
Old 05-09-2008, 03:22 PM   #4
Darin L. Deaton

Profile:

Thanks for the replies. I have enjoyed the variety and I like the fact that I don't know the workout until the day of training. It provides an element of suprise! I was a competitive gymnast, but now I'm a lot older and can't do some of the things I used to do. I am an orthopedic physical therapist with outpatient clinics. The only area that I think the program lacks in is concentrated flexibility work for more problem areas to protect the low back, hips, and shoulders. Other than that, I think the concepts are good. The nice thing is that each individual can add specific training techniques to promote meeting their individual needs. Again, thanks for the comments.
Old 05-09-2008, 04:30 PM   #5
Stephen Smith

Profile:

You'd be surprised how much Olympic lifting helps flexibility, especially lower back/hips/shoulders.
Old 05-09-2008, 04:53 PM   #6
George Mounce

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darin L. Deaton View Post
Thanks for the replies. I have enjoyed the variety and I like the fact that I don't know the workout until the day of training. It provides an element of suprise! I was a competitive gymnast, but now I'm a lot older and can't do some of the things I used to do. I am an orthopedic physical therapist with outpatient clinics. The only area that I think the program lacks in is concentrated flexibility work for more problem areas to protect the low back, hips, and shoulders. Other than that, I think the concepts are good. The nice thing is that each individual can add specific training techniques to promote meeting their individual needs. Again, thanks for the comments.
First of all, welcome!

The majority of people with bad form aren't using their flexibility or don't have it. The program when used properly requires not only perfect (or at least very good in most cases of high intensity) form, but flexibility due to needing that form.

The squat when executed correctly is one of the best hamstring stretches...ever.

Olympic lifts as before mention require flexibility (the rack position, hip flexor flexibility, hamstring flexibility) as well as the overhead squat or a correct fully extended pull-up. Its all there. No, there may not be a specific stretching sequence. Of course I have yet to see proof that stretching in and of itself does anything than improve resting length of a muscle. Do I stretch after every workout? Of course, but its no more than 10 seconds per movement, and I can do an ATG squat at will. Everyone I've known who does CrossFit without stretching has had major increases in flexibility just by doing the program.
Old 05-09-2008, 08:31 PM   #7
Darin L. Deaton

Profile:

Don't disagree that the movements performed in olympic lifting require flexibility if executed correctly, but proper execution requires an [b]underlayment of flexiblity when performing composite motions that require multiple joints. I am not so concerned about the muscle as we should be about the tendon, ligamentous and capsular structures. If heavier loads are applied to certain joints (hip,shoulder) without adequate stretching at endrange and past, spraining of those tissues can occur. With the level of dynamic fatigue created by some of the routines, the mm can no longer support the joint segment, so a tight, limited joint gets pushed past it's available excursion with a quick, heavy load and bam, there you have it. I can't tell you how many athletes I have seen from olympic lifting and plyometric training. When starting the CF program, I would recommend people just understand that if they cannot perform the movement through the full range with only body load resistance, they are asking for trouble. Most people have been so indoctrinated by "fitness america", they don't know what to think anymore. Just thoughts.