CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 04-19-2008, 10:55 PM   #1
Luke MacDonald

Profile:
3 questions

I have a couple of questions

1. Is just doing the WOD going to get me to a high level of fitness, I feel very good after I do it, but from my past experience in excercise, I feel that I'm not spending enough time in the gym and it makes me feel guilty, will this go away?

2. I'm trying to address the nutrition aspect of it, I've always ate pretty healthy but I'm not very good at keeping track of it and knowing how much of what I'm eating. I just try to stick to the good stuff but no real routine. Idea on a plan to create / follow? zone seems interesting to me but where can I find a plan, or create one for myself?

3. This question is a little offbeat I suppose. I'm an LEO and looking for a martial art to start learning. Any suggestions by people that instruct or have experience in this? I wanted to try some from of jujitsu but don't have that in the area? Hapkido, Karate, Judo are about my only options...any input would be great.

Thanks for all the help, great site.
Old 04-19-2008, 11:16 PM   #2
Steven Low

Profile:
Re: 3 questions

1. Yes. Go all out on your WODs.

What's your strength level for DL/squat/bench/press/pullup/dip?

2. Zone or Paleo/IF. Check out nutrition forums and use the SEARCH button!

3. Check out the CrossPit forum at the bottom. There's a couple of threads where some people ask and other people recommend. Again, SEARCH!
Old 04-19-2008, 11:22 PM   #3
Wes Palmer

Profile:

After 3 rounds of the official CF warmup and then the WOD I usually am pretty spent, but you could work on some other things I suppose. I know a few guys at SoCal do some strength after the warmup and before the WOD such as 3 sets of 5 of ONE of the following- squat, bench, press, or dlift.

I am about like you when it comes to nutrition, eating proteins veggies and nuts, no breads pasta or rice and try to keep the portions small but often- 5 or 6 times a day.
Old 04-19-2008, 11:24 PM   #4
Jaime Steele

Profile:

Luke

Firstly welcome.

To answer your questions - the idea of having to spend 2 hours in the gym is totally crazy to us crossfitters. Crossfit is about attaining functional fitness. When you meet some of the girls (the metcon WODs) believe me you will want out of the gym after 20 minutes and may need to crawl out on your hands and knees. Crossfit isn't about spending 2 hours in the gym lifting the odd weight and chatting to people. A lot of the workouts only last aprrox 10-20 mins depending on how good you are, but you can spend time around it warming up well and practicing things for example olympic lift technique, skipping, gymnasatics etc.

On your nutrition question - this is going to be a very personal choice. Look at issue 21 of the Crossfit Journal - it explains the zone diet which many/most follow. This will give you a good starting point. Zone is based on a block system which is quite an easy way to weigh or measure your food so you know what proportions of Carb, pro and fat you are getting. This will seem quite strange and confusing at the start but you have to stick with it and spend a couple of weeks measuring all your food. Stick with the basic plan for a couple of months and evaluate - then you can tweak the diet to suit you e.g. some guys prefer to delete some carb blocks and increase their fat blocks (Athletes Zone). Zone is particualrly good for restricting calories if you want ot lose weight as well. Other diets talked about are Paleo (search around for it on google) and Intermittent Fasting. The zone wil allow you to eat whatever foods you want however so you can have for example a paleo zone - which is really measuring your foods but not eating anything processed or grains etc. This is what I try my best to follow. You will hear an expression "black box it" and essentially it means to give something a try and see how it works for you. So black box a few things and see how you like them!

I recommend subscribing to the Journal and also to the Norcal Performace Menu journal. Read the boards everyday - there are thousands of posts on nutrition and zone specifically and you will find nearly all your questions answered.

Your question of martial arts is a difficult one to answer. Again personal choice. I'm a big UFC fan and the most successful guys in it are generally Brazilian Ju Jitsu guys who have also got good stand up - like kickboxing.

Good luck with your new life!
Old 04-19-2008, 11:49 PM   #5
Luke MacDonald

Profile:

My thanks to the actual responses aside from "go search", I've been on this website for months, which I realize is not as long as most but still have yet to break the tip of the iceberg in the information thats out there nor would I in more months to come, so I decided to post so I could get a more focused idea on where to look.
Old 04-19-2008, 11:53 PM   #6
Steven Low

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke MacDonald View Post
My thanks to the actual responses aside from "go search", I've been on this website for months, which I realize is not as long as most but still have yet to break the tip of the iceberg in the information thats out there nor would I in more months to come, so I decided to post so I could get a more focused idea on where to look.
Searching should be your friend. You'll get waaaaaaay more information from looking through previous hashed out material rather than presenting questions and waiting for people to answer you.

Whatever though... your choice.
Old 04-20-2008, 01:34 AM   #7
Jaime Steele

Profile:

I agree with Steven. You find answers to questions you hadn't even thought of by searching.
Old 04-20-2008, 03:47 AM   #8
Scott Spencer

Profile:

i'll tackle #3

Try to find a gym that teaches MMA (mixed martial arts). this will give you a good foundation because you will be exposed to many different aspects of fighting. A boxer only deals with punches. A jui jitsu guy only deals with grappling. And most traditional martial artist (TMA) only deal with their own art and its doesnt involve real sparring. You need to be well rounded.

Bruce Lee had a quote:
"a person with one year of boxing and wrestling could defeat a martial artists with 20 years of expeirence."

Thats a rough quote but the point is both of those sports have regular sparring and have been tested in continous competition to see what works and what doesnt. Most TMA only deal in theory and kata's. They never regularly see if that "kick or punch" works in a real fight. And most of the stuff doesnt.

Brazilian Ju jitsu was founded on technique that work in a real fight. The founders use to take challenge matches against diffrent arts all the time. there are old videos on youtube of some of these. But now a days in the sport of MMA the use of pure ju jitsu is limited because they guys know how to defend against its attacks and defeat it using a good sprawl and brawl game. I personally think they the BJJ guys have lost the essence of the art. It was designed to defeat the ground and pounder. but thats another topic...

For you i think you should find a good MMA. thats the same as a BJJ that also teaches striking. Going by the bruce lee quote good kickboxing or boxing school should be your first choice in striking. Thailand Mauy Thai is very good choice for kickboxing. Second you need some kind of grappling. Brazilian Ju jitsu is a good choice. Wrestling classes are hard to find and not designed to finish a fight. Judo is your second best choice. They focus mostly on throws but do teach ground work also.

As a LEO you need to learn how to take those fighting skills and apply them to a real fight. A sport is a sport. it gives you a foundation but you need more. Look on the crossfit website and look up Tony Blaue stuff under the martial arts video section. He has a great system for real world fighting. its designed for LEO.

Also another great program is taught by Tim Larkin. i cant think of the name of his program right now but he teaches effective principles too. Both can be studied by yourself to get the basic principles down as you practice your other fighting arts. then you can learn to apply what you learn to a real fight. But the best way is to find an instucture in either to teach you.
Old 04-20-2008, 08:22 AM   #9
David Wood

Profile:

Did some of the searching for you. It's not hard to learn how to do this:

This was a search for: "choice martial art" in the "CrossPit" forum only.

all links work and family safe.

http://www.board.crossfit.com/showth...ce+martial+art

Old 04-20-2008, 08:27 AM   #10
Kevin Mack

Profile:

I only have a passing familiarity with Krav Maga but I understand it is very well suited to law enforcement. Of the martial arts I am familiar with (Tae Kwon Do, Boxing, and military self defense training) I can tell you that TKD is absolutely useless in a fight. Boxing is good to learn both how to throw a punch and more importantly how to take a punch, but obviously you won't learn how to take a fight to the ground. The stuff I got in the military was good, but really basic and kind of a hodge podge of Krav Maga and BJJ with a little Aikido thrown in. Krav Maga is designd for you, BJJ is great since most fights end up on the ground, so I would say those two should be your top choices.