CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 04-11-2008, 08:51 AM   #11
Tirzah Harper

Profile:
Re: The Zone, Crossfit, and my wife

I definitely agree that she should not eat LESS than ten block per day, probably.
Old 04-11-2008, 08:56 AM   #12
Alberto Flosi

Profile:

She feels fine. Energy level is good. Again, she has been Zoning for a few months. If this was her first week Zoning I would be telling her to give it more time. My point in referencing Nicole is that as a top tier Crossfitter she is only eating 10 blocks or at least that is what the article said. Perhaps that has changed. So given that a top tier Crossfitter is only consuming 10 blocks why would someone with a lower activity level and similiar lean body mass consume any more that that?

I am thinking that she needs an adjustment. Not sure if more blocks are warrented and if that is the case the why. Or if increasing fat is the way to go. Increasing fat doesn't seem logical to me because she hasn't reached her desired body composition yet.
Old 04-11-2008, 08:58 AM   #13
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

Try to get her to measure herself. I have the locations to measure for men, but I can't find the same for women. Thats usually a better route. I think WHR, thigh, calves and maybe chest and arms would be good.
Old 04-11-2008, 09:12 PM   #14
Kelly Flora

Profile:

Sounds like the best bet would be for her to play with it...try a week or two increasing the block amounts....11 or 12 every day and see where she goes with that. How did you estimate her body fat percentage? Did you enter her calculations into the zone calculator? Just wonder how accurate it was and if you were sure that she hasn't lowered her body fat %?
Old 04-12-2008, 08:31 AM   #15
Eric Lester

Profile:

10 doesn't sound too far off to me. Maybe 11 or 12, who knows, but I understand her logic of going with 10.

If she is Crossfitting and being strict about the Zone then I'd say chances are she is just building enough muscle to outweigh the fat loss.
Old 04-12-2008, 11:05 AM   #16
Oliver Gould

Profile:

Nicole eats 10 blocks a day at x3-5 fat. She added the fat in because she got SCARILY lean when she started zoning. There's a huge difference in calories between 10 blocks and 10 blocks with x5 fat. If you're sure that your wife isn't just putting on muscle and dropping BF% (thus staying at the same weight), then she isn't eating enough. BF% falls really fast when you're eating x1 fat on a dialed in Zone, but under eating and Crossfit will lead to retaining fat because the body is starved for protein to rebuild itself.
Old 04-12-2008, 11:47 AM   #17
Alberto Flosi

Profile:

Oliver,

My understanding, and please correct me if I am wrong, is that once you are happy with your body composition you should add fat blocks as necessary to maintain it. Which is why Nicole is eating at 4x fat. If you are trying to lose weight and it isn't happening you would decrease the amount of blocks you consume and if you are trying to gain weight (muscle of course) you would increase the blocks you consume. Am I on the right track?
Old 04-12-2008, 03:15 PM   #18
Derek Weaver

Profile:

Alberto,
You're correct that adding fat usually comes into play once your BF % drops to a point that performance begins to suffer. We all want to be "shredded", while we will usually perform better with a little more fat on us than we'd like to see.

Back to your question with your wife though, the best thing I could suggest would be to read Robb Wolf's PMenu article "42 Ways to Skin the Zone". She could cut her carb blocks in half while adding 3 fat blocks for every deleted carb block to make up the caloric deficit. Robb covers it all in the article.

Remember that Zone is about insulin control and is calorically restrictive. There's really no magic to it, so much as it highly recommends cutting all the crap out of one's diet (rice, bread, pasta, processed foods- which makes Zone Bars that much more ironic), and the block system makes it easier.

Tweaking the carbs would probably be the best bet if everything else hasn't worked.