CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 03-12-2008, 09:26 AM   #1
Greg A Pohl

Profile:
"IF" & Diabetic

So, barring a post workout protein shake, I have been subscribing to a paleo diet for the past three weeks. I decided today that I was going to also try to do IF on occasion. I haven't eaten anything since last night, and I'm physically feeling good, but my blood sugar is currently 70, and I was about to go take a swim. I dosed myself pretty low on my long acting insulin, in preparation for a fasting day, but when I checked my blood this morning, it was high, so I took some fast acting to get it back in line. Now, unfortunately I am nervous that if I go swim I will be "low" either before and definitely after. So, do I not dose myself if I'm high in the morning, not do any additional exercise in the afternoon, or suck it up and eat something low in calories to give my blood sugar a bump?
Old 03-12-2008, 09:51 AM   #2
Adam Levenson

Profile:
Re: "IF" & Diabetic

This is something I would discuss with an experianced medical professional. Experianced being not a GP who will just tell you to eat, but rather someone experianced with the IF protical and or exercise science.
Old 03-12-2008, 09:57 AM   #3
Greg A Pohl

Profile:

The problem is that that is so much more difficult to accomplish than it should be. I'm a pharmaceutical rep, and I can tell you from every side of this relationship that the numbers are all that matters to GP's and Endo's. I understand the need to maintain a certain balance, but the desires of the patient are frequently ignored in the process. So, that being said, what kind of physician takes all of these factors into account. Also, do most people doing IF wait for rest days?? How frequently? Thank you for your help.

P.S. I had to eat a banana. I couldn't risk an event for the sake of dieting, but I will do whatever I can to avoid these kinds of situations in the future.
Old 03-12-2008, 10:31 AM   #4
Scott Allen Hanson

Profile:

Greg,

Not diabetic, but my father was. Sounds like you already decided to eat. In future, if you were to push the envelope, I think something other than swimming might be safer if there's any chance of passing out.
Old 03-12-2008, 10:45 AM   #5
Susie Rosenberg

Profile:

Right, what Scott said.

If I were insulin-dependent, and I wanted to fast and exercise, I would make sure I had an exercise partner who could recognize hypoglycemia and know what to do. I wouldn't exercise alone, and I wouldn't swim...too risky.

I would also carry injectable glucagon in the event you cannot take oral sugar in response to hypoglycemia.

You might consider fasting on your rest days rather than your exercise days.

If you test your sugar frequently through your new regime, you will get familiar with your body's response to fasting/CF workouts, etc. Make one change at a time, and see what happens. You are your own black box. Keep good records of activity, food intake, blood sugars, and insulin dose and you'll soon enough know what to do.

Susie
Old 03-12-2008, 11:03 AM   #6
Tim Luby

Profile:

If you ask me, it's just not worth it. As you know, hypos can cause lasting [and acute] damage, and even death. If there's a physician who condones IF in a diabetic population, that's a scary thing.

70 mg/dL is pretty low.

The reason your BG was high in the morning after a shot of long-acting probably has to do with the dawn phenomenon, where gluconeogenesis take place overnight, elevating your BG in the morning. With that said, I wouldn't necessarily count on a pre-bedtime long-acting shot to give you adequate coverage for the next day.

But what the hell do I know, you know your body!

BTW, I work in pharma, too. I write the sales aids!

Last edited by Tim Luby : 03-12-2008 at 11:08 AM.
Old 03-12-2008, 11:05 AM   #7
David Aguasca

Profile:

have you given thought about using the pump? it would be much more conducive to an IF schedule than shots are.

you're absolutely right about GPs and Endos. it's unfortunate that Endos, of all doctors, can be so ignorant about diet.

as far as not exercising alone and all that...i'd say it's highly personal. you know if you can sense a low coming. if you can't then maybe you shouldn't work out alone.

i've tried to do IF a couple times, mostly giving up because of my hectic schedule as a student. i HAVE been eating Paleo (mostly) for the last year or so. there's no doubt that it has kept my A1c where it is now (never had anything above 5.9).

the bottom line is, greg...there isn't much info on diabetes and IF. i communicated with Robb Wolf through the Performance Menu message boards about this:

http://performancemenu.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1696 (WFS)

basically...it's up to us to figure out a way to make it work.
Old 03-12-2008, 11:18 AM   #8
Greg A Pohl

Profile:

Thank you for the feedback. I think I'm going to attempt an IF day on the next rest period and see how that goes. I really do appreciate everyone's help. Thank you so much!
Old 03-12-2008, 11:58 AM   #9
Tim Luby

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguasca View Post
have you given thought about using the pump? it would be much more conducive to an IF schedule than shots are.

you're absolutely right about GPs and Endos. it's unfortunate that Endos, of all doctors, can be so ignorant about diet.

as far as not exercising alone and all that...i'd say it's highly personal. you know if you can sense a low coming. if you can't then maybe you shouldn't work out alone.

i've tried to do IF a couple times, mostly giving up because of my hectic schedule as a student. i HAVE been eating Paleo (mostly) for the last year or so. there's no doubt that it has kept my A1c where it is now (never had anything above 5.9).

the bottom line is, greg...there isn't much info on diabetes and IF. i communicated with Robb Wolf through the Performance Menu message boards about this:

http://performancemenu.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1696 (WFS)

basically...it's up to us to figure out a way to make it work.
5.9%! Good for you!
Old 03-12-2008, 12:03 PM   #10
Greg A Pohl

Profile:

Yeah, I range between 5.7 and 6. I hit a skid about six months ago where my a1c went insane and it turned out that I was severely under dosed, and my a1c shot up to 10. I've since righted the ship, and switched to an AM dose instead of a PM. The paleo is great for us! I never considered a pump bc I played college sports and the idea of an implant just freaked me out, but who knows what the future holds!