CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 03-09-2008, 08:59 PM   #1
Richard Hancock

Profile:
Pullover anyone?

A commonly used skill in gymnastics is a pullover. It is a simple way to get from a hang to a support, on a bar.

If this term is new to you, it is a chin up, followed by pulling your legs and body upward in front, and continuing to upside down until your waist touches the bar, and continue pulling the bar towards your higher chest, rolling backward and upward to a support. Now, my explanation may be difficult to follow, but the point is that I am surprised that it has been a skill that has not been called for.

This skill, without swing or kipping, or other use of momentum, i.e. pulling the legs up quickly, will work the pull up groups and core, hard, after only a few reps. Just as in knees to elbows, but further. Throw a single bar dip or two in and you have worked.

Just an observation.
Old 03-10-2008, 07:27 AM   #2
Lenora Galitz-Pfeffer

Profile:
Re: Pullover anyone?

Sounds interesting. Can you post a video of this? I have a vision of "skin the cat" from rings.
Old 03-10-2008, 07:49 AM   #3
David Aguasca

Profile:

do it if you have the bar with the overhead clearance! most people don't.

i think it's a great gymnastic exercise. strengthens pulling and abdominal muscles, includes a support position at the top, and even includes an inversion in the middle. great stuff!
Old 03-10-2008, 09:31 AM   #4
Roger Harrell

Profile:

We utlize it all the time. Also, it's part of the CrossFit gymnastics curriculum at all seminars that I teach. It is an extraordinarily useful skill and exercise. The homepage WODs are examples of workouts that can be done in pretty sparsely outfitted gyms. Swims are not included because it's not easy for everyone to access a lap pool. Same kind of thing.
Old 03-10-2008, 10:33 AM   #5
Michael Leach

Profile:

is this the same thing as a backwards roll to support on rings?
Old 03-10-2008, 10:48 AM   #6
Richard Hancock

Profile:

It is similar, but, I think, easier than a back roll to support on rings. Effectively the same skill, but the rigid bar allows for completion without quite the biceps that a back roll requires.

I use this skill, quite often to add a dimension to my L-pull-ups, pulling through the L.
Old 03-10-2008, 01:27 PM   #7
Roger Harrell

Profile:

This is the same motion as a backward roll to support on rings, but FAR easier. Most strong folks can get a pull over straight away with a few technique pointers. Not the case for a backward roll to support by any stretch, though we've gotten a handful of CrossFitters to learn that in one session.
Old 03-10-2008, 01:33 PM   #8
Michael Leach

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Harrell View Post
This is the same motion as a backward roll to support on rings, but FAR easier. Most strong folks can get a pull over straight away with a few technique pointers. Not the case for a backward roll to support by any stretch, though we've gotten a handful of CrossFitters to learn that in one session.
Awesome. I'd like to try it, but all my pullup bars are hung like 12-14" from the ceiling; next time im at the park though; its on! I tried a backwards roll to support on my rings a couple times in the past few weeks but failed. I would absolutely love to attend your classes Roger! You rock!
Old 03-13-2008, 01:02 PM   #9
Alex J. Perez

Profile:

I did it on the bar by accident, I was just holding myself straight upside down and then tried to do a reverse upright row, and lost control somewhat, my legs leaned forward and I rolled over the bar but in a slow control, it was cool and almost scary at first.