CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 01-23-2008, 12:56 PM   #1
Anthony Boyce

Profile:
Red face Firefighter Recruits Fitness Training

Good day to all i am a Captain in charge of Firefighters recruit fitness training and we are trying to find new and better ways to train our recruits. If someone have a proving program or a program they are working with that have some strong and good results, please could you help me out. These recruits come to class with a vast differences in their fitness level, but the goal is by the end of the 23 weeks of training their needs to be balance. If you should need more details just let me know . Thanks
Old 01-23-2008, 01:25 PM   #2
Sean McMaster

Profile:
Re: Firefighter Recruits Fitness Training

Anthony, I am no expert, but I do know many firefighters who use CrossFit. Just doing the Workout of the Day as posted on the main site would be a great program to follow. As far as accommodating people of various levels of fitness, the CrossFit workouts can be scaled to appropriate levels for those (like myself) who aren't fitness beasts yet. A great place to look would be BrandX.
(Link is WFS)
They have several levels of each workout posted there daily.
Anyway, I hope you find these forums as helpful as I did. Welcome!

Edit: Anthony, I just noticed you are in Indianapolis. My cousin is a policeman there: Damon King. I wonder if you know him?
Old 01-23-2008, 08:04 PM   #3
patrick j fleming jr

Profile:

check out parker fire they are an affiliate
Old 01-23-2008, 10:05 PM   #4
Chuck Legg

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony Boyce View Post
Good day to all i am a Captain in charge of Firefighters recruit fitness training and we are trying to find new and better ways to train our recruits. If someone have a proving program or a program they are working with that have some strong and good results, please could you help me out. These recruits come to class with a vast differences in their fitness level, but the goal is by the end of the 23 weeks of training their needs to be balance. If you should need more details just let me know . Thanks
Mr Boyce,

Try contacting affilate :http://www.crossfitorangecounty.typepad.com/ it is run by a couple of Orange County Firefighters. They can give you some help. The department uses crossfit style workouts for the recruit academy.
Old 01-24-2008, 05:26 PM   #5
Jared Ashley

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony Boyce View Post
The Mesa, Arizona Fire Department is hosting a crossfit level 1 certification course in April. I don't know any other details, but I would assume they have been/are successfully using crossfit concepts to train their firefighters and recruits.

Good luck! As a hopeful future firefighter, I'd love to see departments use or adopt this program. I found Crossfit while looking for a program for my personal fitness and to train for a career, and it has been very sucessful, far beyond all other programs I have tried to date.
Old 01-24-2008, 07:39 PM   #6
del brinson

Profile:

Hey Tony; We talked about xfit awhile back and I will be glad to help you w/ setting up a crossfit program. I've been doing it since july, dropped 22 lbs. and feel great after working my butt off on a fire. Maybe we could even do the cert. in Arizona ? see ya, DEL
Old 01-24-2008, 08:27 PM   #7
Brian Castillo

Profile:

I'm an 8 year FF/PM that has done CrossFit since 04/07. I attended the cert in Mesa held Oct. 07. I'm currently in my departments officer developement program and am working on a formal proposal to pitch to senior staff to make CF the academy PT program and to let me be the lead instructor. the presentation is Jan 31. I will be happy to share all I have, and do's and don'ts I learn the hard way.

also, Please check out our workout log titles FDAZ. it says for Arizona FF, but please consider this your invitation to join us.

be safe

Brian Castillo
Northwest Fire District
station 36C
Old 01-25-2008, 05:07 AM   #8
Timothy Walsh

Profile:

I am a recruit right now, and although i am doing Starting Strength to gain some weight/strength before i go back to crossfit. Crossfit would be the way to go, however i think a big part of it would be the diet of the recruits. Though you cant really control that.

When i was doing crossfit my PT days were cake, think the only thing i lacked in was shoulder strength. Im working on that now though.
Old 01-25-2008, 10:48 AM   #9
Barney Ring

Profile:

I have successfully sold the training staff in my department on Crossfit for the recruits. I go down once a week on shift to oversee PT. I just develop workouts that I think will help with job-related tasks.

Since starting this, one of the training officers has started to Crossfit on his own and together we are setting up a PT calendar for the next class starting Feb. 4.

Most of the work is centered on cardio-respitory endurance and muscle endurance. For this class, I have decided to try to do more strength building, but still focus on the first two goals.

I can email you what I have so far if you are interested.

I, however, cannot seem to get rid of the belief that FFs need to be able to run LSD to be fit but I'm working on it.

My background is 10 years as a Firefighter, ACE Peer Fitness Trainer and Crossfit Level 1 trainer.

Equipment is sometimes a problem for classes of 25 or more, but creative thinking will solve that for you.

Good luck with the program.