CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 02-02-2005, 02:13 PM   #1
Eric Miska

Profile:  
hi, im new to the boards and looking to get started with some crossfit training.

basic info about me: 21yr old student at northwestern university, been training jiujitsu for a little while now, did a body building style work out(bleh, not my style) for about 2 months this past summer(other than that, i have 0 experience lifting). i havent even been to jiujitsu since last june, so i am really out of shape and looking to get back into a good routine.

so i think crossfit sounds like a great program to do in addition to bjj. the only problem is that i have zero equipment, no knowledge of how to perform olympic lifts, very basic general lifting experience, and my school gym does not have any ropes, rings, kettlebells, medicine balls, or olympic weights. unfortunately that seems to cut out almost everything on crossfit. i would be willing to travel anywhere in the chicago area(thats accessible via public transportation) for a gym that has this stuff and someone i could learn from, but i have no idea where to even look.

my goals are to add some muscle/shed bodyfat for asthetic reasons and get stronger and improve endurance for jiujitsu. generally, my upper body is fairly strong, but i have a serious case of chicken legs that needs to be fixed ;)

does anyone here train with crossfit in the chicago area or know of a place where i could do so? it would be awesome if theres an experienced guy here who could help me out, i would even pay for semi personal training sessions.

thanks for any help.
Old 02-02-2005, 05:34 PM   #2
Lynne Pitts

Profile:
Hi Eric,
Welcome! I'm moving this to Community, where all of the "Crossfit in xxx" threads go. While you're over there, look around - you'll find several midwest/Chicago crossfitters.
Old 02-03-2005, 12:03 PM   #3
dave ojeda

Profile:
Eric,

Welcome to the boards! As for where to train you will soon find out by reading though this site that where you are now is the best place to train. In a gym, in your yard, park....etc

Take some time to read as much as you can here and ask questions after that. Use the FAQ to get started on this site. Keep reading the Community section here to keep up with potential meeting and get together.

Any questions feel free to ask.