CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 08-09-2005, 05:23 AM   #51
Matt Gagliardi

Profile:
A classic sighting in my gym over the weekend. On the lat pulldown machine (shudder)...a woman is working underhand lat pulldowns. There's something wrong with this picture though. First off, the ROM is a little screwed. The bar moves from the top of her forehead (upper arms are parallel to the ground at this point) to just below her chin...so total ROM is literally the height of her head. But wait...it's even more of a disaster. Something seems to be wrong with her neck. What is it? Oh, now I see...she has cradled/pinned her cell phone between her shoulder and ear and is talking on it...while doing her pseudo-pulldowns.

Don't even get me started on the guy attempting to do C&J. He appeared to be moving in slow motion (it literally looked like ABC had slowed him down on tape).
Old 08-09-2005, 06:12 AM   #52
John Walsh

Profile:
Matt,

That's rich.:rofl: If that were my gym she would be ejected from the gym and banned.

I always tell friends I would like to have a gym. They laugh and state that it would be empty because of all the rules that would institute. Talking on the cell while lifting is one that slipped under my radar.

As for Mr C&J, you know some trainer told him to use a controled motion so he could feel the burn or something. On the bright side at least he's attempting a real lift.
Old 08-11-2005, 03:04 PM   #53
Brian White

Profile:
Had to laugh today, went into the gym here in Iraq, I call it the "cave gym" because of the quality and quantity of equipment. It's got the normal benches, bars, dumbells, etc - and strangely enough a homemade lat pulldown machine, but it's all pretty old, rusty and otherwise worn down. As I was doing the warmup for the DL workout, I caught a few Marines doing their concentration curls and front shoulder raises looking at me strangely. Once I started the overhand squats, they were absoluetly bewildered. I finished the warmup and got a couple of grudging nods and one "that looks like a tough workout." When I told him it was the warmup and moved to deadlifts, I think I cemented my status as Base Lunatic. Wait till I break out the sandbags, do some kettlebell swings with dumbells, and get acquainted with one or two of the "girls." I think I'll get my own tent then, nice and far away from the "sane" Marines. Cracks me up.
Old 08-11-2005, 05:00 PM   #54
John Walsh

Profile:
Brian,

That's hardcore. It really motivates me when I hear you guys in Iraq are grinding out workouts. It makes any excuse I could come up with for slacking off or skipping laughable. Way to keep those jarheads guessing.
Old 08-11-2005, 11:01 PM   #55
Christian Hansen

Profile:
No offense, but who gives a crap what other people do. Focus on your own desires and to the extent you can, help others.
Old 08-12-2005, 01:36 AM   #56
Eric Cimrhanzel

Profile:
Christian, we do focus on our own desires. That shows in our WOD Comments posts, or our own training logs. Most of us (I'm assuming) also like helping others.

We just like laughing at the other stuff, too.
Old 08-12-2005, 03:55 AM   #57
John Walsh

Profile:
Christian,

“No offense, but who gives a crap what other people do. Focus on your own desires and to the extent you can, help others.”

Following your logic: No offense but who gives a crap about what others give a crap about what others do. Focus on your own…ad nauseum. What’s the point brother?
:crazy:
Old 08-12-2005, 05:02 AM   #58
Don Stevenson

Profile:
Well my time working at the local health club continues to be pretty interesting and is actually turning out to be more enjoyable and interesting than I expected.

I've taken over a bunch of clients from another trainer who left and have moved them all across to crossfit workouts from some very standard pec dec and leg press workouts.

None of them seem to think that mixing rowing and thrusters or running and chinups is strange and in fact i've been getting rave reviews from the clients.

I've also started to uncover some hidden gems within the members of the gym. So far i've found a full contact karate fighter preparing for her first big fight, a pretty serious soccer player and my best find, an ex US Navy Officer with some experience with olympic lifting!

I was going over the basics of the power clean and the overhead squat with her today and she is going to practice them in her workouts.

Coming soon, rings, kettlebells and HSPU practice
Old 08-12-2005, 07:08 AM   #59
Brian White

Profile:
Well, "Nancy" did it. We're now officially the base lunatics. The same guys were in the cave gym from yesterday, and had an air of expectation when I walked in with my workout partner. We went through the warmup, and then as we got the bars ready for the OHS, you could see necks craned to see what insanity we were into this time. When we walked outside and came back a couple of minutes later, then did OHS and walked BACK outside, one guy followed at a distance to see what it was all about. He must have reported back to the barbell curls crew, because we're now given a wide berth when walking through the gym. I think they're afraid we'll just spring onto a machine with no warning and start cranking out reps or something. I'm waiting for the first time someone asks exactly what it's all about, as by then end of the deployment next month I hope to have at least two more converts. CF is perfect for this line of work, I want to get the word out as wide as I can.
Old 08-12-2005, 02:44 PM   #60
David Wood

Profile:

Surely Brian needs an "Infidel" shirt . . .