CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 08-02-2005, 02:04 PM   #41
Patrick Walsh

Profile:
in the time that it took me to warm up, do a pretty slow Elizabeth, and cool down I saw one guy working nothing but his biceps. Most of his time was spent at the preacher curl station with a whopping 20# loaded on the bar. He'd switch back and forth between the regular seated position, and then face the other way, with the weights resting on the seat. As I left he was starting to work the DB curl.

at least he wasn't wearing gloves.
Old 08-02-2005, 05:14 PM   #42
Jon Gary

Profile:
Elizabeth:

DL guy was there... "you deadlifting today?" No.

L-sit, KTE guy from last Thurs... "Hey" (as he does a few reps of leg raises in the dip station). I guess that means the L-sits didn't go over too well.

Must admit, however that the people running the place have been pretty tolerant for every WOD.

Old 08-02-2005, 05:29 PM   #43
Brendan Melville

Profile:
Well that's no fun. I think it's time for a FGB coach! Liven that place up quite nicely.
Old 08-02-2005, 09:49 PM   #44
Don Stevenson

Profile:
Brendan, funny you should mention FGB!

This was the one that finally got a response from the PT manager today.

He didn't have a problem with the exercises, just the fact that i'd dragged a rower out of the cardio area to put it next to the power rack.

I was politely asked not to do that in future because the clients would copy me.

Old 08-03-2005, 05:58 AM   #45
Fiona Muxlow

Profile:
Don
The gym i work at got rearranged today while i wasn't there, we now have a space to hang my power rings :-)
Colin (the Gym owner)is happy to have them up, and tonight he has asked if he can join in with me when i do my crossfit WOD's.

Next task get a wall ball target painted on the wall.
Old 08-04-2005, 10:03 AM   #46
Joe Miller

Profile:
One of the last times I was at my local gym, a huge guy came up to me and told me that I was working out "way too fast." He seemed really concerned, and told me that weightlifting should always be done slowly enough that your heart-rate does not become elevated at all, because this is "very dangerous" and "very hard on your heart." He said it was *essential* to keep strength-training and "cardio" strictly separate.

If he is correct we are all in deep trouble.
Old 08-04-2005, 10:58 AM   #47
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:
He'd last about ten seconds in a Strong Man comp....
Old 08-04-2005, 01:01 PM   #48
Jim Aldridge

Profile:
Most of the time my wife and I work out in our garage, but with heat indexes here in Memphis of 100+ degrees occasionally we will go to the local gym. About a week ago, we did the WOD at the gym. I can't remember which one it was, but when I finished it felt like I had been poking Pukie the clown with a stick and he was about to pounce on me with both feet. Anyway, I was sitting on a bench, hunched over, gasping for air, sweat dripping off the end of my nose onto the floor (looking generally like hammered sh!#) and some guy comes up to me, looks down and says, "Man, are you o.k.?" as if workouts were never meant to have that effect on anyone.

I just told him "no" and went back to panting.
Old 08-08-2005, 04:56 PM   #49
Jon Gary

Profile:
OK, today was PRICELESSLY aggravating.

There are 2 over-45y.o. puffy-boy-pec-deck body-builder types that work out at the gym. Until today it had luckily been on separate days, but like some freak wonder-twin power they combined to be oh so much more than the mere sum. One is super tan, bleach white hair, a bluetooth wireless phone in his ear (that he actually uses while working out), and wearing a ripped-to-shreads Governator t-shirt (last week I overheard him say he's a pro B.B. now); the other also wears a ripped up t-shirt to show off his inflated chest but has darker hair (remember both over 45, ridiculous).

Blondie, despite having watched me do 3 full rounds of today's WOD decides that its really time for him to stop doing the completely non-functional body-building exercises he's doing so that he can come do a slowwww set of back extensions just as I'm running over to start my set of 12. As he's dismounting I'm already moving in to start to hopefully get some type of courtesy apology (J.C., the whole WOD takes less than 15min, he can't wait) - no such luck. Then, as I'm runnning over for the last rd of 3 he's just standing there in the glut-ham machine. I say, "if you could spare the time, I have 3 reps to do..." and he grudgingly moves away - wow.

Meanwhile across the gym, but still in freak-town, the other guy is "training" a wirey H.S. kid who's getting about as much from this guy's B.B. work-outs as you all would expect. Then all of sudden blondie yells over to the other, "hey where did you get those nice gloves with straps?". They then had some sort of glove pow-wow in the corner and before I could get out of the gm I had to turn around and see another patron attempting some push-ups - arms bent and locked at the 90-degree down position while bobbing the chin and neck up and down, counting reps! unreal.

Jeff and I just laid the flooring for our new Company gym this morning and hopefully the equipment isn't too far behind, it CAN'T be finished soon enough!
Old 08-09-2005, 05:13 AM   #50
Don Stevenson

Profile:
Today I continued my campaign to subvert the unsuspecting members of my gym.

I saw one guy practicing one legged squats, which I had shown him on the weekend and I had another new member that i introduced to a few rounds of three bars of death followed by 4 minutes of tabata squats.

Poor guy almost died but he is coming back for more!

I also ran 3 guys through a couple of rounds of FGB (minus the rower). These were your typical 21 yr old bench and curl rats but they got stuck into FGB and couldn't argue when i told them that perhaps they needed to up the intensity of their workouts for better results.

At the same time the PT manager was training some clients with a mix of half squats, light deadlifts and arnold presses. His favourite combo ever since we attended a 3 hour lecture last week where the presenter told everyone that they should be included in every workout.

After that it was some heavy bench and overhead work for a new client followed by having him do a 600m run, 15 situps, 400m run, 10 situps, 200m run, 5 situps