CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 03-31-2006, 12:33 PM   #1
Joshua M. Ossen

Profile:  
Is there a way I can run as well as crossfit. I'm in the Army and they love to run, it's one of those things we do. How can I run an average of 4 miles a day and xfit without losing the muscle mass associated with running. I know diet is the key, just a point in the right direction would help
Old 03-31-2006, 03:49 PM   #2
Johan Nederhof

Profile:
Joshua
Scale the WOD's as needed. I think recuparation is essential. The diet should be as clean as possible. On this site the Zone diet and Paleo diet are the recomended way's. As I am just starting to use those diets I', not a good source yet, but I am sure somebody more knowledgable will some.
Have fun, happy healthy training, Johan
Old 03-31-2006, 07:34 PM   #3
David Wood

Profile:

Joshua:

Welcome to CrossFit, and thank you for your service in the Army. I'm honestly not sure there's all that much "muscle mass associated with running" . . . in my experience, lots of running tends to "eat" the muscle mass you need for more explosive strength.

That said, Johan's advice is excellent. I'd start out slowly on the WOD's (especially so if you're going to keep up the running). See if you can substitute a bit more sprinting (6 x 400, anyone?) with minimal rest in between each effort for the long runs.

Around here, the phrase "but what about cardio?" is sort of an inside joke. A lot of the WODs don't *look* like they would be much on cardio, but if you go at them hard, they will leave you gasping. Today's was a good example of this kind of "met-con" (metabolic conditioning) workout. Try it at reduced load for the thrusters (maybe only 25 lbs?) if you haven't done them before and report back on whether you need any more cardio after that.

And again, welcome, and thank you for serving!
Old 04-01-2006, 01:03 AM   #4
Joshua M. Ossen

Profile:  
Would increasing my protein intake make up for the muscle mass loss associated with extensive running? I enjoy the WODs and want to be able to complete them and do more, but I don't want to break myself down to nothing trying reach the level of fitness I desire.
Old 04-01-2006, 06:05 AM   #5
David Wood

Profile:

Paging Dr. Smith . . . Garrett Smith to the white courtesy phone, please.

Josh: Garrett Smith and Robb Wolf are our two best (most knowledgeable) "authorities" on nutrition here; anything they say overrides what I'm going to suggest.

I think more protein wouldn't hurt (depending on how much you're getting now, of course). More than 1 gram / day / pound of bodyweight is overkill, though. (Some people claim more than 0.7 pounds is wasted).

I don't think it will be enough to make up for the catabolic effects of too much running.

CrossFit generally supports the Zone diet as the currently best overall approach to nutrition. There are hundreds of references to it on the site, lots to learn there. Of course, I don't know how much control of your food choices you currently have (the Army may be deciding that for you), so you may have limited capacity to that right now.

In general, I would urge you to

a) eat clean . . . no junk food (you know what I mean by junk food),
b) reduce or completely eliminate your consumption of cheap carbohydrates . . . white bread, rice, mashed potatoes, snack chips, all that sort of stuff. If you're going to have grain products, try to make them the whole grain kind (or just skip them)
c) what to eat? as much as you can of anything that can be described as "meat, leaves, and berries" (meat, veggies, and fruit).

Best of luck,
Dave
Old 04-01-2006, 08:18 AM   #6
Garrett Smith

Profile:
My first question would be, is this running mandatory, something you're doing because others are doing it, military fitness dogma, or because you want to?

If you don't *have* to run that much, doing interval sprints and/or hill sprints will allow you to increase your running-specific fitness while performing much less volume (less catabolism, more anabolism with HIIT exercising in general).

Do the Zone diet and get the proper amount of protein and fat, for sure.

If you learn the POSE method of running (see www.posetech.com), you can make running a lot less damaging and catabolic on your system.

Sorry for the quick answer, I'm pretty busy today...
Old 04-05-2006, 11:26 AM   #7
Justin Algera

Profile:
I enjoy running, so I do it, but Im not a marathoner by any stretch (the most I would compete in is a 10k). I try to add some interval work on almost a daily basis, just because I enjoy it and have fun doing it. But also, when Im having a crappy day or stressed out, Ill strap on the ipod and go for a run/jog to clear all the "junk" out. Crossfit has improved my running exponentionally since starting at the beginning of the year.