CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 07-14-2005, 04:31 AM   #1
Tom Needham

Profile:
Set of three bells, 1, 1.5 and 2 pood Power Max Kettlebells for $229 - Sports Authority ships for free when the order is over $99 bucks!

http://www.thesportsauthority.com/pr...ductId=1928245

They aren't as slick as the DragonDoor KBs (own a few too) BUT, you'll save about $200 bucks if you were to order from DD.

These KBs have a thicker handle (good for grip)and the finish is rougher. I've been using mine out in the yard and they are quality.
Old 07-14-2005, 07:07 AM   #2
Chris Forbis

Profile:
Wow.

Gill sells them direct for cheaper ($177), but shipping is $114. So with free shipping this works out to a savings of $62.

Thanks for the heads up.
Old 07-14-2005, 08:41 AM   #3
Allen Yeh

Profile:
http://www.everythingtrackandfield.com/detail.aspx_Q_ID_E_4277_A_CategoryID_E_29 2

# 4 kg = $20
# 8 kg = $30
# 12 kg = $40
# 16 kg = $50
# 24 kg = $65
# 32 kg = $80

so that is...195 and i think the shipping is like 10?

i haven't gotten them yet though, so i can't verify how good or bad they are.
Old 07-14-2005, 09:06 AM   #4
dave ojeda

Profile:
Allen,

everythingtrackandfield.com uses UPS so the shipping will be based on zone and weight, ex 2- 16kg & 2 -24kg will run 47.00 to Chicago. SO I would check your shipping to see which one is the best deal.

There KB come from Gill athletic

I hope this helps
Old 07-14-2005, 09:47 AM   #5
Marco Svagna

Profile:  
I have the same set and I'm very happy with them. The attached thread gives a helpful comparison to the DD KBs.

http://www.*********.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=867&sid=772a3b41e495bf6297483c1e 97dca233
Old 07-14-2005, 10:52 AM   #6
Eric Cimrhanzel

Profile:
I haven't used any of these KBs myself, and I keep hearing that the weight is fairly evenly distributed between the handle and the main portion of the 'bell. For you regular lifters, you know why this is bad. For everyone else, several of the lifts are a lot more awkward than the DragonDoor 'bells.

I personally like K2Fitness.net kbs. Yeah, they're expensive, but they're almost identical to DragonDoor at (generally) 3/4 the price. DragonDoor has the highest quality 'bells, though.

Bottom line from what I know: I don't "endorse" one product over the other, but when it comes to kettlebells, you really get what you pay for. If anyone has a different experience, chime in.
Old 07-14-2005, 11:10 AM   #7
bill fox

Profile:

They SUCK.

Yes I am an RKC and a friend of Pavels - I can also assure you I've done more KB snatches then anyone else here.

1) The handle has a straight portion across the top as is readily apparent in the cross link to the thread at ********. Therefore you CAN NOT get the same groove as with a properly formed handle.

2) The weight distibution is wrong, which makes them off for every other drill, snatches, jerks, bent press, TGU etc..

If you buy coaches assertion that KBs are only worth swinging (which I very much disagree with) I guess they're fine but why not just use DBs, which you can get anywhere and are way cheaper.

To save 100- $200 on something your going to have a life time - it's up to you. If you get the Gill/ETF you probably will think they're only good for swinging...a self fufilling prophecy kind of deal.
Old 07-14-2005, 11:26 AM   #8
Eric Cimrhanzel

Profile:
Bill,

What is your opinion on the K2Fitness.net 'bells? Or have you used them?

I have one DD 1pood and a friend of mine has a K2 Fitness 1pood. I used both of them for just about every lift I could think of (which is a LOT, as I'm sure you know), either one after the other or both at the same time, and I could barely tell the difference between the two.
Old 07-14-2005, 11:44 AM   #9
bill fox

Profile:

I haven't used them. My understanding is that they are almost identical. I believe the fact they actually refer to RKC training on their site is a good sign.

This raises the point that I think people should buy DD because it's DD that did all the heavy lifting introducing them, doing the DVDs, books, getting in magazines, running certifications. Chances are if a personal trainers client has heard of KBs it's because of something that Pavel or an RKC did somewhere. I think it's worth supporting that. I try to keep that seperate from the points about quality and utility.

To save what I'd spend on one dinner out on something that will last virtually forever...
Old 07-14-2005, 12:43 PM   #10
Eric Cimrhanzel

Profile:
Bill,

I completely understand your point. Everything I've bought on kettlebell training has come from either DragonDoor itself or from one of the SRKCs, and I encourage anyone who wants to start training with them do them same. Pavel, Mahler, Cotter, Maxwell, SSG Morrison, every RKC I've met: All great instructors, from what I've seen and heard, and all of the SRKCs have excellent DVD and in-person instruction.

However, some people just want a cheaper option for their 'bells. *shrugs* Especially us broke college guys. :happy: