CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 08-10-2007, 05:18 PM   #1
Tobias W. Neal

Profile:
My wife and I have just started the Zone. We shopped for the week and were ready to go. We took recipes from the book and the site. She needs 3 blocks and I need 5. When we sat down to eat however this took a bit of a comical turn and this is where I am seeking advice. In order for me to meet the requirements of this recipe I had to eat three whole tomatoes. Now, I like a little sauce from time to time but three tomatoes had me choking. My daily snack involved eating 2 whole red peppers like apples. Needless to say I got many a look from the non-zone onlookers. Is this experience common or are we missing something? Any help, insight, wisdom would be welcome.
Old 08-10-2007, 07:55 PM   #2
Corey Duvall

Profile:
Well help, insight and wisdom are three things I cannot offer. However, a sympathetic shoulder I do have. I started into the zone three days ago and have encountered the same "problem"(?). There is a significant amount of vegetables and fruit to eat... I thought I was eating a lot of those to begin with, perhaps not. So while I can't say "it'll get better", or "maybe you should try this" I can say that I'm right there with you.

Cheers
Old 08-10-2007, 08:10 PM   #3
Anna Foteini Hawkins

Profile:
Have you tried coming up with some recipes that involve several veggies in a combination? That has really helped me. I have this great gaspacho (cold vegetable soup) recipe that I designed to be 1 block of carbs per serving. It takes time, but write down the combinations that work well and then you can use it as a reference later.
Old 08-10-2007, 08:12 PM   #4
Anna Foteini Hawkins

Profile:
Oh, and it is easy to add avocados to a veggie medley to take care of your fat blocks as well! The first few days of the zone are the hardest, but it is worth it.
Old 08-11-2007, 07:46 AM   #5
Stephen Solano

Profile:
My wife and I have a Zone problem, she thinks it a pain. It is difficult to follow the Zone when the rest of the family does not. Compromise, now we cook and then assemble. This way I can or eyeball how much to put on my plate.

I ended up cutting the carbs by from 1/2 to 3/4 at the advisement of my CF coach. I discovered I couldn't eat that much without wanting to gag.

Old 08-11-2007, 09:16 AM   #6
Christine Reinhart

Profile:
When you are trying to make up your carb blocks entirely of veggies, the volume can certainly be overwhemling. One suggestion I have is to incorporate some fruit when you can. For example, when I need to make a 3 block meal, there is no way it's going to be all veggies. At lunch, I will sometimes cut up some fruit to put into my salads (dates or other dried fruits work well, as they are very dense, and usually you only need 1 to make a carb block). At dinner, I usually have 2 blocks worth of veggies in my main course, and then have 1 block of fruit for desert...or a 4oz glass of red wine on occassion. :-) Hope this helps. Good luck!
Old 08-11-2007, 09:32 AM   #7
George Mounce

Profile:
Make a salad with veggies and fruits topped off with good fats and protein. You won't believe how good a nectarine sliced into a salad tastes, plus its 2 carb blocks.

Another great option - stir fry!

Tonight I'm going to try a flax meal pizza crust (TONS of good fats, fiber, and protein) with some veggies and skinless, chicken breast meat.

For breakfast I had a flax meal cookie for my 5 fat blocks (homemade secret recipe I'm still tweaking, not ready to share with the world yet), chicken breast with egg whites, tomato and onion all scrambled up. Made a fruit drink with a peach, a kiwi, and 1/2 a cup of frozen blueberries.

Sounds like a ton, but it didn't feel like it for a 5 block meal. I don't count the fat in meat like you are supposed to because I want those extra calories.
Old 08-11-2007, 03:08 PM   #8
Brandon Oto

Profile:
They should warn you about this... I also tried the "simple route" of just having 5 blocks via a whole lot of the same vegetable, and it was suicidal.

Mix it up. Have some of this, some of that; make a sensible-looking meal if possible. Some fruit, maybe. Maybe a bit of starch (as "condiment"). With a broader approach those blocks disappear faster. For instance: not 9 cups of broccoli, but perhaps a cup and a half (one block), a cup and a half of zucchini (one block), a cup of onion (one block), and an apple (two blocks). Not so crazy. This is especially important with low-density veggies like lettuce and, yes, tomatoes, because if you tried to make a whole meal of them you'd literally not be able to finish...
Old 08-12-2007, 06:07 AM   #9
Tobias W. Neal

Profile:
I appreciate all of your comments and suggestions. We are a recipe family. We have tried to eat just straight block foods but we get bored and go eat out. It seems that I just need to try and modify the recipes we do have and give it a go.