CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 09-22-2005, 06:34 PM   #1
Ori Filhart

Profile:  
I was introduced to CrossFit a few weeks ago by a family friend who is a personal trainer and follows CrossFit. I've been reading other peoples “getting started” questions and I've read almost all of the FAQ (a few times), however, I still have many unanswered questions of my own.
I'm 19 years old 5'6" and weigh about 119lbs.
I run about 3 miles, 1-3 times a week (with skipping a few weeks here and there). Other than running I don’t do much exercise. I want to start doing the WOD, but I don’t really have any equipment. The only thing I have is a 4 foot straight bar and a few weights and I bought a pull up bar yesterday. What other equipment is necessary?
To give you an idea of where I am physically, as I already mentioned I run a few times a week for about 3 miles. This morning I gave the pull up bar a shot and did about 5 or 6 sets of 5(that was with taking a few minute breaks in between each set). I also did what I think was shin to chin rows. I did 3 or 4 sets of between 20 and 30 reps (that was with about 15 pounds on the bar). I don’t know if anyone will be able to advise me on where to being with the information I gave, but all suggestions are welcome and greatly appreciated.
Another question I have is about the diet. Being 5'5" and weighing only 119 lbs. should I watch what I eat, and eliminate all sugar as I read somewhere on the site? I don’t want to take a chance in losing any weight; I’m way too thin and need to build my muscles.
Thanks, Ori
Old 09-22-2005, 07:55 PM   #2
Grady McDonald

Profile:
Recommend you scan the achives for WO's you can do w/ your gear. Start out w/ 5 pullups, 10 pushups, 15 squats, every minute, on the minute for 10 minutes and see what that does to you. Drive the heels, big chest, straight back, full extension on the squat, be able to wiggle your toes at all times, strive to go quads slightly below parallel to the deck.
Start your subscription to the journal. Get the back issues of fundamental movements (Squat, deadlift, clean, Presses, kipping pullups) Lynn has an index on her page.
Diet.....yes, you should. Get Journal #21 on the zone, great place to start. Fat is where its at. Depending on your goals, maybe some extra blocks of meat would do you some good. You'll get rid of those "irish pennants" hanging from your shoulders soon enough.
Go into this full gusto, be consistant but listen to your body, know your limitations. Slow build up in intensity is crucial to success 4, 8, 12, 24 weeks from now. Success is at your fingertips, it's all on you how far you want to take it. Logging on and showing up is a great start.
Execute.....
Old 09-22-2005, 08:04 PM   #3
Scott McAndrews

Profile:

Ori,
The great thing about Crossfit is that doing it doesn't require a ton of equipment and one can supplement exercises to fill in the gaps created by a lack of equipment. Continue checking out the message board for posts on modifying workouts and supplementing various exercises to increase your understanding. What you already have, a straight bar, some weights, and a pull-up bar will get you a long way. Use the exercise section of this site and your friend who is a personal trainer for information regarding how to perform exercises.

As a person who took a long time to finally start doing the WOD's, I believe the best way to get going on Crossfit is to just start doing the WOD's even if you need to modify them. For example, with tommorow's WOD, if you don't have a box for jumping, you could do any type of jumping like vertical jumps or broad jumps. For the Handstand Push-ups you could substitute an overhead press using your barbell. Throw in the Burpees and pull-ups and you've got a modified WOD.

As for diet, mine is horrible so I am not a great person to be giving advice, but following the points from "World Class Fitness in 100 Words" that you mentioned will definately help you put on muscle. That's the key to gaining weight, make sure it's muscle not fat. Learning about the Zone will help even more.

I hope that helps. There are a ton of way more experienced and knowledgable people out there who I'm sure will also chime in to help you out.

Cheers, Scott
Old 09-25-2005, 08:25 AM   #4
Craig Van De Walker

Profile:
Ori,
IMO - Eat! Eat protien! Eat good fats!

Do Crossfit, maybe even eventually suplement with additional weight training when somewhat comfortable with WOD volume.

Eggs are your friend, cheap, easy to prepare boil a couple dozen at a time and take them with you to supplement your meals. Also nuts, seeds, avocado, up your fats and protien. Reade Dan John's pages on weight gain [friends of crossfit section]

Your BMI is ~20 if I did my calculations correctly, pretty thin if you ask me, but it is a personal preference. Your comment though, suggests you want to build muscle. As a runner you actually may not be all that lean even though you are thin. If all you have been doing is running your upper body may actually be a bit flabby and weak (or may not).

The long and short of my rant is that crossfit will work your whole body and TEND to equalize things, strength, endurance, power output, coordination, body composition, as well as upper vs lower body. If you do the WOD that is chosen for you, it takes your (my) habits of choosing only what you are good at or want to emphasize away and makes you do things that may be uncomfortable. These are usually things you most need to improve on.
Old 09-26-2005, 07:40 PM   #5
Ori Filhart

Profile:  
i dont want to sound ignorant, but what is BMI?
and thank you everyone for answering my questions. i work and go to school full time so its really hard for me to do anything else, i'm trying to figure out a time during my day that i can dedicate to working out, hasnt been much of a success lately, but hopefully really soon i'll be on my way.
Old 09-27-2005, 12:55 AM   #6
Nikki Young

Profile:
Hey Ori!

BMI stands for Body Mass Index, basically used to tell you if your at a healthy weight range for your height. There are two different ways this is done.

If you go to a doctor they may use a BMI chart, this does not provide you with the most accurate results. Be warned that if you have a look at the BMI chart and you have developed muscles, you may find that you fall into the overweight catergory on the Body Mass Index chart - when in fact you have little body fat and are in good health.

I remember looking at that chart when i was around 16, i fell into the clinically obese section! And there was no way i was obese! My mum just told me i had stronger bones! (YAY!) Which is true - bone size varies from people to people and density of the bone itself also plays a role in your overall body weight. Muscle mass also varies in weight depending on how developed they are and even your body organs vary in weight from person to person.

This is NOT the way to go IMO!

The most accurate BMI results come by skin fold tests using skin fold calipers. If you are unsure what this is i will quickly explain. This is usually done in assesment in gyms and with personal trainers and is an essential part for profesional athletes to get there body fat in a good range for ultimate performance.

A skin fold test will be done by pinching your skin/fat with a skin fold caliper, the caliper will then read how much fat you have in that area in mm. These are conducted on your tricep, hip (love handles), stomach (near your belly button) and your scaplua (back). You will then add up all your results to get your body fat %. You will then know how much body fat you have and if it's in a healthy range.

A good body fat percentage for athletes would be; males 5% bf, women 8-10%.
Old 09-27-2005, 03:52 AM   #7
Allen Yeh

Profile:
I realize that ranges vary from who you ask but i'm pretty sure the that this link is about right when it comes to bodyfat http://www.healthchecksystems.com/bodyfat.htm

From what i recall of the little course I took it was along those guidelines.

These figures came from ACE
Classification Women (% fat) Men (% fat)
Essential Fat 10-12% 2-4%
Athletes 14-20% 6-13%
Fitness 21-24% 14-17%
Acceptable 25-31% 18-25%
Obese 32% plus 25% plus

For an article on different ways to test your bodyfat http://www.dummies.com/WileyCDA/Dumm...le/id-488.html
Old 09-27-2005, 03:02 PM   #8
mike ellis

Profile:  
how can find out to properly do the oly lifts and do i need to do any other worouts other than wod
Old 10-01-2005, 06:42 AM   #9
Craig Van De Walker

Profile:
First check out the links on the crossfit main page "Friends of Crossfit".

Read stuff on Dan John's site (also link from main)

Coach Mike Burgener's (SP?) site, also on links page I believe.

Lynn Pitts link read the whole thing! Many short videos as well.

If you have the resources hire a Oly coach for an hour session or go to a clinic, once again Mike B could probably steer you in the right direction.

Nikki, I use BMI as a rough measure only because that is the only thing I could figure out given the information I had on Ori. (I have a very low bodyfat but am out of the healthy range on the high side). I don't trust it either but know when a male is 5'6" and only 119lbs they are not heavy for thier height.
Old 10-01-2005, 09:10 PM   #10
David Birozy

Profile:
Craig - CROSSFIT EMERGENCY; CROSSFIT EMERGENCY!

Add an "e" to Lynne, grovel and appologize, else suffer the unhappy ramifications!

(Yes, seriously!!!)