CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout Logs
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout Logs Post your logs here!

Old 10-20-2011, 11:57 AM   #291
Zane Jones

Profile:
Re: PaleoZone vs Morbid Obesity: An Odyssey

Is bodyweight trend a rolling average?

Luke, have you ever read anything over at weightology.net (WFS)?

I found it a while ago and subscribe to it. Seems like a good place to learn and get some clarifying on different nutritional plans, diets, fads, etc... Just wondering if you read it and what your thoughts were, if you did.
Old 10-20-2011, 12:39 PM   #292
Luke Seubert

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zane Jones View Post
Generally speaking? Yes, my bodyweight trend calculation is a rolling average.

More specifically, it is an exponential moving average with 10% smoothing. Even though it sounds fancy and complex and all mathematical, it is a very easy calculation to make - you can actually do it in your head with ease. It is an old trick from the financial industry, often used to analyze stock price data.

If you want to find out more about it, check out this free-to-download book, The Hacker's Diet by John Walker (WFS), and refer to: "Chapter 11 - Pencil and Paper"

Quote:

I found it a while ago and subscribe to it. Seems like a good place to learn and get some clarifying on different nutritional plans, diets, fads, etc... Just wondering if you read it and what your thoughts were, if you did.
No, I haven't. Thanks for the tip. I'll browse around the site and see if I turn up anything interesting.

Thanks for mentioning this, as it reminded me of something I need to do. I have been meaning to post my modified diet regimen, which has changed since I first began. I'll do that soon.
Old 10-20-2011, 12:47 PM   #293
Luke Seubert

Profile:

Quote:
It is a rolling average. More specifically, it is an exponential moving average with 10% smoothing. While it sounds complicated, it is actually an easy calculation to do in your head. It is an old trick from the financial industry, usually used to analyze stock prices.

You can find out more about from the free-to-download book, The Hacker's Diet by John Walker (WFS), by reading the first few pages of "Chapter 11 - Pencil and Paper".

Quote:

No, I haven't. When I get the time, I peruse the website and see if I pick up anything of interest.
Old 10-20-2011, 01:25 PM   #294
Luke Seubert

Profile:

WOD - Tabata Kettlebell Hell Day

Date: October 20, 2011

Conditions
  • Temperature: 60 F
  • Humidity: 56%
  • Heat Index: 60 F

Comments
Now that's a little bit more like it! With my sweatpants and underwear fixed so they don't fall down when I jog, I readily beat my old PR by 33 seconds on the 0.9 Mostly Hilly Miles Walk/Jog. Heart rate remained the same, which means same work done faster for the same effort. I'll buy that for a dollar!

For the kettlebell swings, I used a 20 pound weight, but with 10 cycles this time. I was much more consistent this time, with 11 swings per cycle in almost every turn, except early on when I managed a few cycles of 12 swings. My heart rate firewalled at 176 on the last cycle, and I was huffing quite hard and sweating. Good workout, even though it is a brief one.

Warmup - 0.9 Mostly Hilly Miles (Old PR - 13:55 @ 149 BPM on 09/09/11, 3.88 MPH)
  • Time: 13:22 - New PR! - 3.99 MPH
  • Heart Rate: 149 BPM

Tabata Kettlebell Swings
20 seconds on, 10 seconds off. Repeat 10 times. 5 minutes per round.
  • Kettlebell Weight: 20 pounds
  • Swing: Two-handed Russian
  • Tabata Rounds Completed: 1 round, 10 cycles
  • Swings Per Cycle: 11, 12, 12, 12, 11, 11, 11, 11, 11, 11
  • Rest Interval Between Rounds: n/a
Old 10-20-2011, 01:39 PM   #295
Arturo Garcia

Profile:

You have it all planed out huh? Hope it goes like you expect it, or better.

Box jumps are indeed a brutal conditioning tool. I used to do tabata box jumps for conditioning a while back, after a strength workout. It really elevates your heart rate. It left my whole body "itching" in a way that a strength workout never would.

When I did them wearing Vibrams I'd get quite a decent calf workout as well. It was hard to do all 8 intervals unbroken. Such a simple move, but so effective. Keep it up.
Old 10-20-2011, 02:25 PM   #296
Luke Seubert

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arturo Garcia View Post
You have it all planed out huh? Hope it goes like you expect it, or better.
My predictions on the dates when I will hit various benchmarks should be fairly close. In the past, I predicted two benchmarks 4 to 6 weeks out, and nailed one of them on the very day, while the other came in a day late. So I am pretty good at medium range forecasting.

However, two of the predictions I made are longer than 4 to 6 weeks, and holiday feasting is in there as well. So those predictions might not be so accurate. I'm not too worried about it though - I just keep chugging along.

In fact, right now I am chugging along really well. I need about another week and a half's worth of data to confirm it though. If my metrics between now and October 29 confirm what I have been seeing, I'll write it up. It is pretty good news if it all bears out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arturo Garcia View Post
Box jumps are indeed a brutal conditioning tool. I used to do tabata box jumps for conditioning a while back, after a strength workout. It really elevates your heart rate. It left my whole body "itching" in a way that a strength workout never would.

When I did them wearing Vibrams I'd get quite a decent calf workout as well. It was hard to do all 8 intervals unbroken. Such a simple move, but so effective. Keep it up.
Yeah, box jumps are tough - a pure power move. I decided to add them to my Bodyweight Strength Training cycle because I needed another big leg movement to go along with air squats, to slip in between upper body movements. Since I will someday do Starting Strength which features power cleans, I thought box jumps would be a good way to build up that kind of strength and power in my legs.

I know that at a measley 8", my jumping box isn't very high. But I did increase it from 4" to 6" to 8" pretty quickly. I'll bump it up to 10" once I get my number of reps increased a bit more. Bear in mind that I am doing these shallow jumps while packing an extra 100 pounds plus or minus around my belly - so it is a stressful exercise. When I first set up my training circuit, I tried a few box jumps at 10", but my knees really barked, so I cut the height way back, and decided to build up to it gradually.

But, here's something weird - box jumps aren't my toughest exercise in that workout routine. The exercise that comes just before, pullups, which are more like bodyweight rows the way I do them, jacks up my heart rate more than anything else I do. Maybe part of that is because I have no choice but to do them non-stop, lest I fall backwards if my grip slips or weakens.

P.S. Sorry about the double post answer to Zane, I thought the first one didn't go through. I was juggling way too many tabs and got lost in mess
Old 10-21-2011, 05:41 AM   #297
Luke Seubert

Profile:

Updated Diet Regimen
For over two months now, I have been following an updated diet regimen. The same basic principles apply, I have merely tweaked them to make the diet easier to follow, with a few changes. For example, I still consume very low Glycemic Index vegetables, as found in my old post, Integrating the Paleo and Zone Diets With Very Low Glycemic Index Fruits and Vegetables (WFS). My most frequently eaten vegetables include: Leafy Greens, Asparagus, Broccoli, Brussels Sprouts, Cabbage, Carrots, Cauliflower, Garlic, Leeks, Lemons, Mushrooms, Onions, Scallions, Summer Squash, Turnips, and Zucchini.

However, I also consume high carb Paleo foods now, like sweet potatoes, especially as part of pre and post workout meals. These days my workouts are shorter but of higher intensity, so I find that I need to eat a healthy blast of carbs as part of my workout nutrition. Consuming a goodly amount of carbs, protein and fat is especially important immediately after a workout. So this is something new.

I also eat a wider variety of meats now. For example, I have widened the varieties of pork I eat from just Pork Tenderloin to quite a few other lean cuts including: Pork Top Loin Chops, Pork Sirloin Chops, Pork Top Loin Roast, Pork Sirloin Roast, Boneless Extra Lean Ham, Pork Loin Center Chops, Pork Loin Center Roast, and Canadian Bacon.

Likewise, I broadened my selection of beef to include the all of the lean beef cuts, which are: Eye Round Roast, Eye Round Steak, Sirloin Tip Side Steak, Top Round Roast, Top Round Steak, Bottom Round Roast, Bottom Round Steak, Top Sirloin Steak, Brisket, Flat Half, 95% Lean Ground Beef, Round Tip Roast, Round Tip Steak, Round Steak, Shank Cross Cuts, Chuck Shoulder Pot Roast, Sirloin Tip Center Roast, Sirloin Tip Center Steak, Chuck Shoulder Steak, Bottom Round (Western Griller) Steak , Top Loin (Strip) Steak, Shoulder Petite Tender, Shoulder Petite Medallions, Flank Steak, Shoulder Center (Ranch) Steak, Tri-Tip Roast, Tri-Tip Steak, Tenderloin Roast, Tenderloin Steak, and T-Bone Steak.

I still consume turkey and chicken, as well as shrimp and sardines. I make a point of eating some calf liver each week too. Once in a while, I'll get some fish of some kind. One of the nice advantages of eating a wider variety of meats is that it is much easier to find something on sale each week at the grocery stores. This has helped to lower my food budget, while still eating healthy.

I still consume fish oil, along with extra virgin olive oil, and walnuts, almonds and occasionally, avocadoes. Once in a while, I'll add some coconut oil, and if I want a little extra flavor, a wee bit of toasted sesame oil. Toasted sesame oil is not the healthiest oil in the world, but it has absolutely wonderful flavor.

Putting It All Together
Because I was consuming too few calories at 2,000 calories per day, I increased my caloric intake to 2,500 to 3,000 calories per day. On rest days, I consume fewer calories, unless I feel really hungry; while I consume 3,000 calories pretty consistently on workout days.

I reduced the number of meals I eat, from 6 down to 4 or 5. My meal plans are basically set up for 500 calories. 5 meals at 500 calories yields 2,500 calories per day. Add some extra EVO, sweet potato, and some sardines, and I have the extra 500 calories needed for workout days. If I eat only 4 meals in a day, I'll usually double up one of them to 1,000 calories to keep up the caloric intake.

Instead of recipe cards, I now have two charts on the side of the refrigerator, next to my meal weighing and prep area - the Meat & Fats Chart and the Vegetable Chart. The first one lists all of my cuts of meats. Each cut of meat is calculated to yield 40 grams of protein. Right next to each cut of meat, is the additional fat required to yield 400 total calories when the meat and fat are combined. The fat might be EVO, coconut oil, avocado, walnuts, or almonds.

For example, on my Meat & Fats chart, there is 127 grams of Beef Top Round Roast listed, which yields 40 grams of protein. Right next to it in the table, is 3.5 tsp of EVO, 91 g of Avocado, 22 g of walnuts, or 26 g of almonds. So when I prepare a meal, I pull a pre-cooked and diced meat from the fridge, weigh it out, and then add whichever fat I choose to go along with my protein. Together, this meat and fat yields 400 calories.

Next, I look to my Vegetable Chart. Each meal already has 120 grams of mixed greens factored in, so all I need to do is to add some more veggies. I am looking for a total of 100 calories worth of veggies here, when combining the greens and vegetables. The chart lists how many grams of vegetable I need to get to 100 calories.

For example, on my Vegetable Chart, 211 grams of Brussels Sprouts combined with 120 grams of mixed greens yields 100 calories worth of veggies, most of which is complex carbohydrate with a bit of protein as well. Each vegetable also has 1/2 the grams listed, to make it easier to combine two different veggies at once. The Brussels Sprouts 1/2 gram count is 106 grams. Combine that with 109 grams of carrots, and the usual 120 grams of greens; and I have 100 calories of well varied veggies. Where possible, I now try to combine two different kinds of vegetables in each meal, along with greens. And I try to mix a colorful variety of veggies over the course of the day, in accordance with this old post, The Colorful Way to Eat a Wide Variety of Fruits and Vegetables (WFS).

Note that both of these charts are put together with a spreadsheet. I can change any of the parameters any time I want, and print out new charts. If I want to cut back on fat while increasing carbohydrates and switch over to 750 calorie meals, a few keystrokes and my charts are fully updated, ready to print and stick on the fridge. This allows me to fine tune my diet when changes are required, and it will make it very easy for me to go on a daily caloric balance diet when I have lost all my excess fat.

When I put together 400 calories worth of meat and fat, along with 100 calories worth of mixed veggies, I get a very healthy 500 calorie meal. Now, this is a rather low carb paleo meal, as not all of the 100 calories of veggies are carbohydrate - some of it is protein. I am definitely on the high protein, high fat side of things. However, because my vegetables have such a low glycemic index and such high nutrient density, I wind up eating a large volume of veggies and getting lots of great nutrients from them. Still, I am running very low on carbs from day to day. So, anytime I feel extra hungry and I want to eat more, I pile on the extra veggies, while holding steady of protein and fat. And of course, pre and post workout meals get an extra blast of carbs from yams and other carb rich veggies like onions and carrots.

Finally, I still have a free meal or two each week. This might be some junk food of some kind like a hamburger, or maybe a Paleo-ish sweet, like 75%+ dark chocolate. Sometimes I'll go several weeks without any free meals, and only eat them when my weight loss rate tips too high for a few days. It varies, and I don't worry about it too much. I certainly don't abuse free meals, and I am getting good results with this new regimen.

The Results?
With increased caloric intake and less frequent but more intense exercise, my rate of weight loss has declined. In the early going of my diet regimen, I was dropping 4 to 4 1/2 pounds a week, which gradually declined to 3 to 3 1/2 pounds per week. However, I concluded that this was too fast, as I was losing muscle mass and feeling lethargic. I knew going in that 2,000 calories a week was quite low, but I felt it was important to lose some significant amounts of weight quickly. For morbidly or severely obese people, losing 10% of bodyweight is quite important to improving one's health. So I dropped weight quickly at first, and have since tempered that rate.

These days, I am losing bodyweight at a rate of around 2.5 to 2.8 pounds per week. I am doing well with muscle mass (more on that next week) and I am pleased with my overall progress. I am losing fat at a good clip, I feel energetic and alert, and I am making steady progress with all of my exercises.

Moreover, this regimen is pretty easy to maintain, now that I am in the groove and have aquired the habit. I rarely get hungry, usually just before a scheduled meal anyway. And if I do feel especially hungry and it isn't time to eat, I eat anyway. Eating Paleo is pretty easy once you get past the transition and overcome the refined carbs addiction.

And keeping up with the exercise is pretty easy at 3 workouts per week. Before, I was exercising 5 or 6 times a week, with a 3-On, 1-Off CrossFit schedule. However, that quantity of exercise is too much to sustain running the high daily caloric deficits that I do. So I cut back my exercise schedule, but increased the intensity. All my workouts include heavier MetCon workouts and/or strength training in some form. I continue to set PRs in my workouts or progressing steadily in other ways, while feeling energetic throughout the week. So I believe I have found the right balance between enough but not too much exercise, coupled with a significant daily caloric deficit leading to substantial fat loss.

That said, I am looking forward to the day when I have gotten rid of the fat, and I can go into daily caloric balance or even surplus. Then, I will be able to really exercise hard and fast. That will be a good day. One of my goals is to finish the Filthy Fifty as Rx'd. That would be hard proof of the remarkable changes I had made in my life. Someday....
Old 10-21-2011, 07:35 AM   #298
Meghan Reid

Profile:

Luke,

I know data manipulation and planning is kind of a hobby for you, but I'm curious to know how much time you spend planning your meals like this (or is it more front-loaded like, you spent a couple of hours setting up the spreadsheet but now it takes you minutes a day). Also, how much do you spend on groceries each week?

I'm in awe of your spreadsheet. I would love to see it actually, would you ever consider posting it?

Meghan
Old 10-21-2011, 01:41 PM   #299
Luke Seubert

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meghan Reid View Post
Luke,

I know data manipulation and planning is kind of a hobby for you, but I'm curious to know how much time you spend planning your meals like this (or is it more front-loaded like, you spent a couple of hours setting up the spreadsheet but now it takes you minutes a day). Also, how much do you spend on groceries each week?

I'm in awe of your spreadsheet. I would love to see it actually, would you ever consider posting it?

Meghan
Planning Time? What's That?
Total time I spend meal planning each day? Hmm, I would have to say, quite literally, seconds. The system I have set up now is so fast and automatic, that I spend hardly any time at all in meal planning. Thanks to careful attention to my weekly shopping list, my refrigerator and freezer and cabinets have a wide variety of foods to choose from. When it is time to eat or prepare meals ahead of time, I literally pick my foods on the fly, pull them from storage, check my charts, and start measuring. I make a point of varying my meats, oil, and veggies throughout the day, so I give a little thought to that, but that's it.

When I began, I used recipe cards, which would require a few minutes each day to set up. But even that was too much bother. I really like speed and efficiency, so I put thought and work into organizing things, like my spreadsheet charts. I pick a meat and fat from one chart, veggies from another chart, and throw them together. My meats are pre-cooked and pre-diced, my greens are pre-washed and cut, and many of my vegetables are pre-cut too - the frozen ones. For the fresh veggies, I am pretty fast with a chef's knife and cutting board, though not professional-chef fast. I can zip through veggies while the steamer and sauté pan are heating up. The meats get a quick sauté while the veggies get microwaved or steamed. I can assemble a complete and fairly tasty meal in well under 10 minutes in most cases. Once in a while, foods take longer. Yams take a while to cook, but I just cook them ahead of time. If I need to be out and about, then everything goes into plastic containers with those blue-colored cold packs to keep things fresh. See this post for how I handle the leafy greens: Those Oh So Potent Leafy Greens (WFS).

The Real Time Hole
Ironically, while it may seem to my readers that I spend huge amounts of time gathering and processing all this data I post in my Workout Log, I really don't. It takes me about a minute or so to get my bodyweight and BFC each day, and maybe five minutes to get my body measurements on Saturdays. And this includes loading the data into my spreadsheet.

What really takes time is writing about all of this stuff. Articles and replies like these, not data collection and analysis, take time. However, it is time well spent. This Workout Log is one of my key motivators and best habits, making it possible for me to stick with the program I have set up for myself. In fact, this Workout Log and the Paleo Diet are the two key differences between this fat loss regimen, and my past failed attempts to finally lose all the excess fat. And I have long since surpassed the best of my past efforts, and still rolling right along, which is why I am highly confident of success this time, despite whatever bumps in the road I may encounter.

Budget
My grocery budget is around $80 to $100 USD per week. It varies as I purchase some items in bulk, like fish oil and extra virgin olive oil, during some weeks but not others. Also, with the coming of winter, vegetable prices have begun to rise as they are now shipped in from distant locales, rather than from local farmers. I believe I can cut that budget further, but it will require that I do more research into local Community Supported Agriculture meat and vegetable sources. I did some of that this year, buying from the local farmer's market. But CSA represents an even better deal if you set up a weekly buying program.

Spreadsheet
Meghan, I would be happy to share my spreadsheet. However, I need to clean it up first. It is a hack job that I quickly threw together for my own personal use. The user interface is bad, and would confuse most people who looked at it for the first time. Also, it is currently done in two separate spreadsheets. I would need to unite those two into one spreadsheet, and make it easier to use, and write up some explanatory text along with references so people could find the required nutritional information to modify it. Finally, it is set up for a purely Paleo diet, which makes it less helpful for vegans, vegetarians, and other non-Paleo dieters. I would need to add some plant sourced proteins and a wider variety of meats. And I should reorganize the veggies and fruits, so that they are grouped by color. And I should calculate 1 serving, 1/2 serving, 1/3 serving, and 1/4 serving quantities for fruits and veggies - so people can more readily mix and match. Oh, and a few other things that I haven't thought of just yet.

In other words, my spreadsheet is a terrible alpha-quality hack job, which does get the job done, but doesn't interface well or usefully with normal humans. I'll clean it up and post it so everyone can use it, but it might take me a while to do so. Rest assured though, that I do take these requests seriously, and I do follow up on them. Ask Arturo. He asked me to work on a couple of research projects, and I did eventually post them. See Informative Articles About Belly Fat and The Results of My Investigation Into Food Combining (Both WFS).
Old 10-22-2011, 05:02 AM   #300
Luke Seubert

Profile:

Saturday Weekly Body Measurements Update
Date: October 22, 2011

Last Week's Total Body Measurement: 913.0 cm
This Week's Total Body Measurement: 911.5 cm
Beginning Date for Body Measurements - May 14, 2011 - Total Body Measurements: 1009.5 cm
Total Centimeters Lost to Date: 98.0

Comments
A small loss of 1.5 cm this week on Total Body Measurements. My limbs held pretty steady, except for a slight loss in my forearms. Chest, waist, and hips were basically the same, with a slight decline in my neck measurement.

This was sort of a ho-hum disappointing week, as I was expecting better results here. However, as I look over past data and the weekly deltas over these many months, I notice that I tend to lose significant amounts of TBM in surges, with periods of little to no loss, or even slight gain in between. Why this happens I do not exactly know. Some of it is measuring error, though that should balance out over time. A fair chunk just seems to be the odd way my body loses fat and weight in surges and plateaus.

Body Measurements for Last Week and This Week
An explanation about "Total Body Measurements" and how I use body measurements to assess fat loss over time may be found in my previous post, "The Humble Tape Measure: Simple But Oh So Useful" (WFS).

Right Thigh: 67.0 cm, 67.0 cm
Right Calf: 49.5 cm, 50.0 cm
Right Ankle: 27.0 cm, 27.0 cm

Left Thigh: 69.0 cm, 69.0 cm
Left Calf: 50.0 cm, 50.0 cm
Left Ankle: 27.0 cm, 27.0 cm

Right Arm: 37.0 cm, 37.0 cm
Right Forearm: 33.0 cm, 32.5 cm
Right Wrist: 20.0 cm, 20.0 cm

Left Arm: 40.0 cm, 40.0 cm
Left Forearm: 33.0 cm, 32.5 cm
Left Wrist: 19.5 cm, 19.5 cm