CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Stuff and Nonsense
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Stuff and Nonsense For off-topic chatter. Keep it PG-13; no sex, politics or religion!

Old 08-24-2011, 06:28 PM   #41
Eric A. Brown

Profile:
Re: I don't even know what to title this thread...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Applin View Post
Serious to a point. Think about it, you've put a child in a 1.5 ton missile going 70 mph. Would you do such a thing is there wasn't a reasonable belief in your abilities to handle that machine?

The only reasonable argument I see is risk vs reward. What's the reward here aside from a photo op? With cars, bicycles, crossing the street, the reward is doing daily chores vs abandoning the baby or any risk associated with accidents in daily travels.

Still, you have to ask yourself: at what point do we say "NO! you cannot do that with a child, no matter your actual ability". I find this a fairly conservative board, but that's a very liberal opinion being espoused by the group with regards to this. Where's this imaginary line being drawn considering the very act we consider dangerous to a child present in the act could also take out that child's parent and source of support.

IN the end, I think the child in the photo will turn out measurably better in both mental and physical health than the average child in the US. I have faith in the skill of the parent to not allow what would be a dangerous stunt to an unskilled person to turn into a deadly event for an infant. Pausing for breath.

Well, I have never been in a car accident.

I have dropped ****loads of barbells over the last 30 years, including warm-up weights just because something strange happened.

Sometimes you need to drive your child places, and therefore a vehicle is a must. The number of times you need to hold your child strapped to your chest while performing overhead squats is somewhat lower, I think.

In case the above was tl;dr:

Stupid **** remains stupid.
Old 08-24-2011, 08:49 PM   #42
David Cooke, Jr.

Profile:

HQ should have revoked their franchise. CF has no business allowing these folks to be affiliated with CF. Allowing them to continue to use the CF name is the same as endorsing the behavior. Time to disassociate themselves from Apex. Yesterday.
Old 08-24-2011, 09:54 PM   #43
Andrew Bell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Cooke, Jr. View Post
HQ should have revoked their franchise. CF has no business allowing these folks to be affiliated with CF. Allowing them to continue to use the CF name is the same as endorsing the behavior. Time to disassociate themselves from Apex. Yesterday.
While it's been rare that HQ has kicked folks out (yes we can name a few), but there's just about as many that have resigned with time left on the year because of these types of things.
Old 08-25-2011, 08:34 AM   #44
Stu Christensen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Cooke, Jr. View Post
What EVERYONE is missing here is this.........you get your photo posted on a main page by SUBMITTING it to HQ. Hence, there were 3 mistakes here.

1. Apex actually thought taking this picture was a good idea. They posted it on their own blog first!!
2. They thought it was a good enough idea that they submitted it to HQ implying they wanted it posted on mainpage!!
3. HQ actually thought it was cool enough to post on mainpage!!

If you think Apex should have its affiliation removed, what about CFHQ!?! They AGREED with CF Apex that it was a "cool" photo and posted it up on their own affiliates mainpage!?!

IMO, wow. Just wow.
Old 08-25-2011, 08:38 AM   #45
Ash Smith

Profile:

So what about the pregnant handstand in the recent Fast Company article? This was linked on the main page a couple days ago (WFS):

http://images.fastcompany.com/upload...l-pregnant.jpg

Like I said earlier, I think this is equally stupid but I've never seen much commentary apart from encouragement for women doing potentially dangerous CF work when pregnant.
Old 08-25-2011, 09:31 AM   #46
Greg Pellegrini

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Christensen View Post
What EVERYONE is missing here is this.........you get your photo posted on a main page by SUBMITTING it to HQ. Hence, there were 3 mistakes here.

1. Apex actually thought taking this picture was a good idea. They posted it on their own blog first!!
2. They thought it was a good enough idea that they submitted it to HQ implying they wanted it posted on mainpage!!

If you think Apex should have its affiliation removed, what about CFHQ!?! They AGREED with CF Apex that it was a "cool" photo and posted it up on their own affiliates mainpage!?!

IMO, wow. Just wow.
Intelligence isn't one of the 10 aspects of Crossfit
Old 08-25-2011, 10:18 AM   #47
David Cooke, Jr.

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Christensen View Post

IMO, wow. Just wow.
Let's not forget the first mistake, which was needlessly endangering a baby's life doing overhead squats. Question: how did he get in position to do that while holding the baby?
And yeah, if the procedure you cited is how the photo got posted, then you have several great points about the value of children at HQ and CF Apex. I can just imagine the conversation of Squat daddy and his kid (if kid lives to be old enough to talk):

Kid: Dad, is that me in that photo?

Dad: Yeah. Don't I look cool?

Kid: Umm...what if you slipped or got tired? You would have killed me.

Dad: No way that would have happened. I'm elite. Well, I was before I hurt my shoulder doing overhead squats. But I never dropped anything back then.

Kid: Except for that time you dropped the kettlebell on my stroller.

Dad: Well, yeah, there was that.

Kid: Is that how I got the wheelchair?

Dad: Let's talk about something else, ok? You're getting me bummed out right before I do my WOD. I really don't need any negativity before I work out.
Old 08-31-2011, 03:58 AM   #48
Dave Traeger

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash Smith View Post
So what about the pregnant handstand in the recent Fast Company article? This was linked on the main page a couple days ago (WFS):

http://images.fastcompany.com/upload...l-pregnant.jpg

Like I said earlier, I think this is equally stupid but I've never seen much commentary apart from encouragement for women doing potentially dangerous CF work when pregnant.
I could say that whilst pregnant they're not endangering another life yet. But that'd probably get too many angry comments from the believers.
Old 09-02-2011, 12:58 AM   #49
Tom McFarlane

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Struan Potter View Post
Yeah, his strength numbers are going remain exactly the same for 2 years.
So as long as his squat is over 315, you think this was OK? Where on the continuum of strength does this become a bad idea?

Totally ridiculous, we should call CPS < 225 < Dangerous, but what the heck, it's a cool pic and we might even get it posted on crossfit.com < 315 < no problem, and if we do happen to slip, kids are resilient.

And despite your rolleyes, there is no reason to think he is significantly stronger now. In 2009 he was a Games Qualifier, since then he has either retired from competing or has not qualified. So it is reasonable to assume that he was in better shape then.

If I posted stats from John Welbourn when he played in the NFL would you automatically assume he was stronger now because it has been a few years?
Old 09-02-2011, 03:42 AM   #50
Struan Potter

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom McFarlane View Post
So as long as his squat is over 315, you think this was OK? Where on the continuum of strength does this become a bad idea?

Totally ridiculous, we should call CPS < 225 < Dangerous, but what the heck, it's a cool pic and we might even get it posted on crossfit.com < 315 < no problem, and if we do happen to slip, kids are resilient.

And despite your rolleyes, there is no reason to think he is significantly stronger now. In 2009 he was a Games Qualifier, since then he has either retired from competing or has not qualified. So it is reasonable to assume that he was in better shape then.

If I posted stats from John Welbourn when he played in the NFL would you automatically assume he was stronger now because it has been a few years?
OK, where to start...

1. Where did I say that this is OK? I cannot fathom why anyone can condone what is done in this picture. I do not condone the picture and never said I did.

2. The reason I made the comment is that I find it very hard to believe that someone who has attended the first powerlifting cert with Louie, and then their strength remains stagnant. I believe there was a video on mainsite earlier this year where he discussed his improvements in strength.

3. He competed on the affiliate cup team in 2010, and finished top 10 in the Mid Atlantic regional this year. Same thing can apply to JC Nessa. He finished top 10 in 2009, yet failed to qualify for the games for the past 2 years. Is he in worse shape now compared to 2009? Or could it just be the level of competition has raised? So in my view, it is not reasonable to say he's in worse shape now compared to 2009.

4. Regarding the John Welbourn comment, do you actually think I'm an idiot?