CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 03-09-2011, 04:25 PM   #1
Nancy Cohen

Profile:
Help w/ Clients Weight Loss

Love to have your opinions....

client:
Female
Age 45
5'5"
140 lbs
Goal is to lose about 15 lbs

Daily caloric intake is 1200-1300 calories.

She eats good, clean food. But, an average day is: breakfast is only 200 calories, and then lunch maybe 300 calories, then a 200 calorie snack later in the day, then her dinner is 600 calories.

Training 2 times/week with me, and then does light to moderate exercise on her own the rest of the week. Making great improvements on cardio and strength. Been with me for 5 weeks. Prior, she was a couch potato.

She has lost 1.5" of fat around her waist, but not really anywhere else.

I'm beginning to wonder if she isn't eating enough, and her body is holding onto the fat. Also, wondering if her calorie distribution through the day is also causing her body to hold onto the fat.

Opinions? I hesitate to tell her to eat more. 1200-1300 calories seems really low to me, but then, I'm super active. Maybe that's a good amount for someone her weight to be on to create a calorie deficit?? Wondering.....

Keep in mind, she is NOT crossfitting, so she is not burning the kind of calories that you all do!
Old 03-09-2011, 04:32 PM   #2
Jeremiah Sites

Profile:
Re: Help w/ Clients Weight Loss

More food and possibly more training. What kind of food is she eating ?
Old 03-09-2011, 04:44 PM   #3
Rebecca Roth

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy Cohen View Post
Love to have your opinions....

client:
Female
Age 45
5'5"
140 lbs
Goal is to lose about 15 lbs

Daily caloric intake is 1200-1300 calories.

She eats good, clean food. But, an average day is: breakfast is only 200 calories, and then lunch maybe 300 calories, then a 200 calorie snack later in the day, then her dinner is 600 calories.

Training 2 times/week with me, and then does light to moderate exercise on her own the rest of the week. Making great improvements on cardio and strength. Been with me for 5 weeks. Prior, she was a couch potato.

She has lost 1.5" of fat around her waist, but not really anywhere else.

I'm beginning to wonder if she isn't eating enough, and her body is holding onto the fat. Also, wondering if her calorie distribution through the day is also causing her body to hold onto the fat.

Opinions? I hesitate to tell her to eat more. 1200-1300 calories seems really low to me, but then, I'm super active. Maybe that's a good amount for someone her weight to be on to create a calorie deficit?? Wondering.....

Keep in mind, she is NOT crossfitting, so she is not burning the kind of calories that you all do!
Bolding added for emphasis.

1) She has only been with you 5 weeks, 1.5" of fat loss in a month is not a failure/disappointment. Remember you can't spot reduce or selectively lose fat, so it may not come off they way you or she wants it to, and the fact that she is losing fat slower than she wants is still fat loss.

2) She isn't crossfitting, for her activity level and body size/composition, 1200-1400 calories is totally reasonable. If you were doing regular corssfit workouts then yea, you might jump to 1600-1800 calories for weight loss and be totally reasonable as well, but since she isn't, don't worry about it. That said, unless you are pre-packaging her food, people who are overweight tend to be pre-disposed to poor skills in estimating how much they eat. It may be simple underestimation OR outright intentional cheating, but it is also possible that her reported food intake varies drastically from actual food intake.

Either way, encourage her on the progress she has had, and keep her pointed in the right direction, the results will come eventually.
Old 03-09-2011, 04:45 PM   #4
Nancy Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremiah Sites View Post
More food and possibly more training. What kind of food is she eating ?
I agree that more training would get her more results. She can only afford to pay me for twice a week. And, since she's a real beginner, she doesn't really know how to do higher intensity workouts on her own. So, she goes for power walks a couple times a week, and she goes rollerblading once a week. And I have her doing push ups and planks and stuff, for homework.

We've talked a lot about nutrition, and she actually eats pretty darn clean, which I'm really happy about. Yesterday her food log included eggs, blueberries, salad, asparagus, turkey, olive oil, nuts, orange juice, chicken, pork, more veggies. Great stuff!! Just not a lot of it!

Today, we talked about the calories, and she was very hesitant to increase calories. And I don't want to push the subject until I have some feedback as to whether or not it even seems like she's in the right ballpark or not.
Old 03-09-2011, 04:54 PM   #5
Nancy Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebecca Roth View Post
Bolding added for emphasis.

1) She has only been with you 5 weeks, 1.5" of fat loss in a month is not a failure/disappointment. Remember you can't spot reduce or selectively lose fat, so it may not come off they way you or she wants it to, and the fact that she is losing fat slower than she wants is still fat loss.

2) She isn't crossfitting, for her activity level and body size/composition, 1200-1400 calories is totally reasonable. If you were doing regular corssfit workouts then yea, you might jump to 1600-1800 calories for weight loss and be totally reasonable as well, but since she isn't, don't worry about it. That said, unless you are pre-packaging her food, people who are overweight tend to be pre-disposed to poor skills in estimating how much they eat. It may be simple underestimation OR outright intentional cheating, but it is also possible that her reported food intake varies drastically from actual food intake.

Either way, encourage her on the progress she has had, and keep her pointed in the right direction, the results will come eventually.
Thanks for your input, Rebecca. I agree with all your comments. Especially the part about the client perhaps underestimating the amounts of food. That also occurred to me. Plus, I appreciate your input on the amount of calories.

I was really tooting her horn today about the -1.5", and about how much stronger she is! And she totally gets all of that. Every workout, we both comment about the great improvements she's made with strength, cardio, and balance. I'm constantly telling her how awesome she's doing...and she is!

BUT....I also know that she really wants to lose the fat, and is wishing it'd come off faster, so, I'm exploring all possibilities to try to make that happen.

Going to not only ramp up her workouts, but also ramp up the homework I give her. I warned her today, that her homework is going to start including cardio intervals (not her favorite thing!).

Thanks again for your input and encouragement as well.
Old 03-09-2011, 04:57 PM   #6
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Get her to throw away the scale.

Losing 1.5" in 5 weeks is *great* progress. Yay!

But if she's adding muscle -- and as a complete beginner she probably is since she didn't have much to start with -- she may not actually have 15# to lose. Her "fit" weight after body recomposition might easily end up around 130-135. So her weight might not move much at all, especially at first, but if she ends up looking fabulous, who cares?

1200 calories is probably not bad for her size and activity level. If she's happy and has good energy, I wouldn't worry about it.

Katherine
Old 03-09-2011, 05:07 PM   #7
Nancy Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
Get her to throw away the scale.

Losing 1.5" in 5 weeks is *great* progress. Yay!

But if she's adding muscle -- and as a complete beginner she probably is since she didn't have much to start with -- she may not actually have 15# to lose. Her "fit" weight after body recomposition might easily end up around 130-135. So her weight might not move much at all, especially at first, but if she ends up looking fabulous, who cares?

1200 calories is probably not bad for her size and activity level. If she's happy and has good energy, I wouldn't worry about it.

Katherine
Thanks Katherine.

I already told her not to weigh herself, that we don't care what she weighs! So, we're just kind of guessing at about how much weight it'll actually be in the end. Will be interesting to see.

So, sounding like her number of calories is about right after all. OK. I won't mess with that.

5 weeks ago, on her 1-minute push-up assessment, she did 13 push-ups, from her knees, and not all were chest to deck. Today, she did 23, from her knees, all chest to deck!

5 weeks ago, her 2-minute jump rope assessment was 84 total jumps. Today it was 158.

Plus improvements on the other tests as well.

Believe me, I make a big big deal out of her accomplishments every week! She's awesome, and actually listens to what I tell her to do!! Yea!!
Old 03-09-2011, 05:16 PM   #8
Helen M Brennan

Profile:

+1 throw away the scale... sadly we women have conditioned addiction to "weight" as a stand alone indicator of fitness and indeed attractivenes.. with lighter weight often being the goal instead of being a consequence of a healthier lifestyle. My own journey started at 72kg.. watchingwhat i ate and walking and/or elliptical workouts. In aug 2009 i started crossfit weighing 56kg.. i now weigh between 55 -56 kg BUT my body shape has changed and i have dropped two clothing sizes.. So weight is certainly not the story.. better lean muscle percentages are the key..

you client has done very well so far so keep up the encouragement

cheers

Helen
Old 03-09-2011, 05:34 PM   #9
Nancy Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen M Brennan View Post
+1 throw away the scale... sadly we women have conditioned addiction to "weight" as a stand alone indicator of fitness and indeed attractivenes.. with lighter weight often being the goal instead of being a consequence of a healthier lifestyle. My own journey started at 72kg.. watchingwhat i ate and walking and/or elliptical workouts. In aug 2009 i started crossfit weighing 56kg.. i now weigh between 55 -56 kg BUT my body shape has changed and i have dropped two clothing sizes.. So weight is certainly not the story.. better lean muscle percentages are the key..

you client has done very well so far so keep up the encouragement

cheers

Helen
Thanks Helen. That reminds me too...need to take photos of her next week so that we can marvel at the changes as they occur!