CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > CrossPit
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CrossPit For discussing MMA, UFC, Pride fighting, and other martial arts

Old 08-18-2010, 11:21 AM   #1
Cody Whittington

Profile:
Explosiveness

I've been training twice a week Muay Thai for 2 months now and I've made considerable progress with technique thanks to patient training partners and instructors.
That said, does anyone have drills and/or lifts that increase hip "explosiveness" in kicks?
Old 08-18-2010, 11:33 AM   #2
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:
Re: Explosiveness

Whats your squat, clean, snatch and deadlift numbers?

If they aren't high, those. If they are high, bilateral work would help.
Old 08-19-2010, 01:54 PM   #3
Aaron Evans

Profile:

To be honest (and there is absolutely no offense intended), after 2 months of MT training (esp only going twice a week), your technique cant be THAT good where you need more explosiveness/power/speed/etc just yet...doing CF, continued training and eventually sparring will get you where you want to be...I've been doing MT/BJJ/CSW for about 4 years and I still feel like I have tons to learn whenever I hit the mat or put gloves on.
Old 08-19-2010, 03:07 PM   #4
Andrew D White

Profile:

You need to have started at age 10 or 12 to have been an explosive 23 year old fighter.
It'll take years, as said above.
Old 08-20-2010, 03:50 AM   #5
Jeffrey Crawford

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Evans View Post
To be honest (and there is absolutely no offense intended), after 2 months of MT training (esp only going twice a week), your technique cant be THAT good where you need more explosiveness/power/speed/etc just yet...doing CF, continued training and eventually sparring will get you where you want to be...I've been doing MT/BJJ/CSW for about 4 years and I still feel like I have tons to learn whenever I hit the mat or put gloves on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew D White View Post
You need to have started at age 10 or 12 to have been an explosive 23 year old fighter.
It'll take years, as said above.
I think depends on his background, if you come over to any martial arts, as a great athlete, and apply that athleticism to newly learned technique, 2 months is more than enough time to start becoming explosive on pads. That being said it will take years to learn when to apply that explosiveness at the proper time in sparring/fighting.
Old 08-26-2010, 10:00 PM   #6
Steven M Hale

Profile:

i had done some training in bjj etc, and went to move onto muay thai, did a few months of training at a local place but after that i traveled to thailand with the gf and spent a few weeks at a training camp. after my first day i realized all the time i wasted at the local gym. hard to beat one on one training. i recommend it 100%. i found at my local place there was to many people there for "fitness" and it was a "good workout", and not enough geared towards improving fighting skills. the flight is the pricey part $1600 ish, another 1600 will pay for food housing and training for a month.
i know i didnt really answer your question, and your gym is probably better, but food for thought.

Steve
Old 08-29-2010, 09:44 AM   #7
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody Whittington View Post
I've been training twice a week Muay Thai for 2 months now and I've made considerable progress with technique thanks to patient training partners and instructors.
That said, does anyone have drills and/or lifts that increase hip "explosiveness" in kicks?
Honestly, your best bet would be to figure out how to get more MT classes in. Striking explosiveness has as much to do with technique as with strength, and as a beginner your technique almost certainly needs more work than just two classes per week.

Katherine
Old 08-29-2010, 10:43 AM   #8
Andrew D White

Profile:

^ yep.

You'll get it if you work at it, but you'll likely be 30 when you do. Not that there's anything wrong with being 30. It's just past the peak for the average serious MT fighter.