CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Stuff and Nonsense
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Stuff and Nonsense For off-topic chatter. Keep it PG-13; no sex, politics or religion!

Old 08-20-2010, 09:17 AM   #1291
Jason R O'Dell

Profile:
Re: Heard in the Office Today

Heard at rugby practice yesterday:

"Man I worked hard over the offseason. I did P90X all summer."

I would laugh but the guy is 10x the player I am in terms of talent and conditioning. Guess it worked for him, or it did nothing and just served to keep him in the already awesome shape he was in.

Meanwhile I've been CF'n all summer and I was sucking wind all practice. That's what gets me sometimes. I'm busting my a$$ in the gym and still struggling and then I have guys on my team that never touch a gym or a workout and they go out and play 80 minutes and are awesome.
Old 08-20-2010, 07:07 PM   #1292
Craig Rogers

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim Thornton View Post
@Nicole and Todd:

He could wear his jump suit and Tenny-runners . . .! Great idea!! The mall is perfect!
Should probably wear the Shape Ups instead of Tenny runners.
Old 08-22-2010, 06:07 PM   #1293
James A Stevens

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason R O'Dell View Post
Heard at rugby practice yesterday:

I would laugh but the guy is 10x the player I am in terms of talent and conditioning. Guess it worked for him, or it did nothing and just served to keep him in the already awesome shape he was in.

Meanwhile I've been CF'n all summer and I was sucking wind all practice. That's what gets me sometimes. I'm busting my a$$ in the gym and still struggling and then I have guys on my team that never touch a gym or a workout and they go out and play 80 minutes and are awesome.
Sometimes genetics is just plain mean spirited.

I have pretty much the same problem, but my one saving grace is I can out hike just about anyone, (natural infantryman), once I start putting one foot in front of the other I can keep going for 4 hours straight without a break.
Old 08-22-2010, 06:31 PM   #1294
Yahya Kohgadai

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by James A Stevens View Post
Sometimes genetics is just plain mean spirited.

I have pretty much the same problem, but my one saving grace is I can out hike just about anyone, (natural infantryman), once I start putting one foot in front of the other I can keep going for 4 hours straight without a break.
The one thing I'm good at, at my box is any kind of overhead static hold. When the wod calls for holding a barbell overhead or holding an HSPU for as long as possible, I'm always on top... I don' tknow what this means exactly but it's good to be the best at at least ONE thing lol.
Old 08-22-2010, 06:34 PM   #1295
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason R O'Dell View Post

I would laugh but the guy is 10x the player I am in terms of talent and conditioning.
Frankly, I think it would be awfully smug and inappropriate of you to laugh at the guy, regardless of where you stand relative to him in terms of talent and conditioning.

P90X is hard work. It may not be Crossfit, but it has done lots of good for lots of folks.

- Mark
Old 08-22-2010, 06:39 PM   #1296
Brent Eno

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark E. Wallace View Post
Frankly, I think it would be awfully smug and inappropriate of you to laugh at the guy, regardless of where you stand relative to him in terms of talent and conditioning.

P90X is hard work. It may not be Crossfit, but it has done lots of good for lots of folks.

- Mark
Yup. If it helped him out and he liked it, then good for him. That elitist attitude needs to die(not taking a shot at you, Jason, but that is just one of my biggest issues with CF.)

Last edited by Brent Eno : 08-22-2010 at 06:42 PM.
Old 08-23-2010, 05:34 AM   #1297
Jason R O'Dell

Profile:

The reason is that I've heard it's a program to make you look good but it doesn't really improve conditioning. As a matter of fact this guy looks the same as he did last season, so it probably just allowed him to continue looking like he did. As far as his conditioning, it's always been awesome, so again I guess it didn't really do a lot for him. I guess it kept him where he's at which is fine by me.
Old 08-23-2010, 06:45 AM   #1298
Brian Bedell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark E. Wallace View Post

- Mark
I don't honestly believe that Jason would in reality laugh at him. I think this was more of an experession.

I don't think rugby coaches are recommending P90x to their players.

Whatever works for you, works. My gf has been looking at p90x, I just bite my tongue and thank the good lord that she is going to get off her *** and do something.
Old 08-23-2010, 10:05 AM   #1299
Jason R O'Dell

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Bedell View Post
I don't honestly believe that Jason would in reality laugh at him. I think this was more of an experession.

I don't think rugby coaches are recommending P90x to their players.

Whatever works for you, works. My gf has been looking at p90x, I just bite my tongue and thank the good lord that she is going to get off her *** and do something.
Yeah if I did laugh I'd probably end up breaking my knee again when he jukes me out of my shoes during a drill.
Old 08-23-2010, 10:55 AM   #1300
Andrew D White

Profile:

If he was in awesome condition and then did P90x and didn't lose anything, it can't be a bad program. It kept him in awesome condition.

Lots of hunters I know are using it to get in shape for western elk and sheep hunts where they'd otherwise be sucking wind (elevation change or not) going up and down the rockies. It's working for a lot of them, but a lot also start out as bubbas with big guts and poor eating habits.

I used to suck wind pretty hard in rugby too, but that's because running bores me.
I discovered intervals and would sprint until I puked. Then my wind began to improve.