CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 03-03-2008, 07:11 AM   #1
Alex Reynolds

Profile:
Are CrossFitters "Playing" enough?

This last weekend I decided to play a little flag football with some friends. We played for about 2-3 hours, and had a great time.

What I noticed afterwards is that I was sore as all hell, and that some of the guys who were there were really running me all over the field. I knew that physically, I was "more fit" than a lot of the guys, but they play flag football more, and could just move well on the field.

My question about all this is how many crossfitters are prescribing to the "regularly learn and play new sports" philosophy. I really don't think that any type of workout can replace the benefits of intense and competitive sports. The movements in sports are not "planned" in the way a crossfit workout is. You have to react and adjust based on what is going on in the game. My hips and my ankles were aching after the game from all of the switching directions that I had to do.

I have seen crossfitters who can tear through a workout, but couldn't throw a baseball or catch a football if their life depended on it. I guess what I am getting at is- What good is a broad and inclusive fitness program when tested on the field and how many of you out there play other sports and what have your results been?

FYI, I am not saying crossfit has not helped me. I think I had much more gas left at the end of the game than other. I also have haf people I do martial arts with tell me CrossFit has made me much stronger, and I feel like I get more of a jump when I play Basketball, I just wanted to hear others thoughts.
Old 03-03-2008, 07:21 AM   #2
Jake Oleander

Profile:
Re: Are CrossFitters "Playing" enough?

just because you are more athletic, doesnt mean you are a better athlete. if you want to get better at flag football just play it more often and your athleticism will help you progress faster and eventually surpass them as a flag football athlete.
Old 03-03-2008, 07:26 AM   #3
Alex Reynolds

Profile:

I just mentioned the flag football thing to preface the question that I am asking about others experiences with crossfitting and applying it to their recreational sports.

PLEASE!! Everyone do not post a thousand things about "play flag football more"- that is obvious, and I knew it was coming.
Old 03-03-2008, 07:41 AM   #4
Skylar Cook

Profile:

Maybe I'm different, but I've noticed the opposite. Since starting CF, I skate circles around other kids in hockey. I'm bigger, faster, more stable, and hit harder. How often do you get out and play sports? No matter how much we program and specialize CF, it will still be different than any sport. CF alone will not prepare you for the skills and fitness you'll need to play a sport. But I've found that by playing just a few sports, there's a decent amount of crossover: I don't play basketball regularly, but when rec season comes around I can outrun and outsprint nearly anyone on the court. Granted I can't make a shot to save my life, but the conditioning is there.
Old 03-03-2008, 07:45 AM   #5
Alex Reynolds

Profile:

Oh yes, I am not by any means saying that I haven't seen results. My buddies I used to grapple with a lot still tap me out (because I really don't have that good of technique) but have said that they have to use everything they've got to do it.

Also, just the mere fact that I have occasionally been playing sports and am able to hang or go beyond those who play all the time is a testament to CrossFit. Furthermore, the ability to go between basketball, football, martial arts, etc, is something that I don't know if I would have been all that good at pre-crossfit.
Old 03-03-2008, 07:57 AM   #6
Jake Oleander

Profile:

replace flag football with any other(athletic) sport and my statement remains the same.
Old 03-03-2008, 08:01 AM   #7
Brad Thompson

Profile:

Why not get creative and add some skill drills to your workout? I've been considering this myself. My sport is volleyball so an example for me might be modified burpees (yay!) where I add a hit at the end of the move or a number of box jumps followed by passes to the setter...

The difficulty of doing this is that I'm limited by equipment and people.
Old 03-03-2008, 08:03 AM   #8
Grant Scalf

Profile:

Where did you find yourself most sore? That is surprising that you were run all over the field. I would think Crossfit would be money for a sport like flag football.

The sport I play most, soccer, has benefited greatly from CF. I find I can run more efficiently and for longer periods of time. Also, being a small guy, all the core work has really helped me body up with some of the bigger guys out there. I know I go in to 50/50 headers in the midfield with a lot more confidence in my vertical jump and just overall strength.

The other sport I partake in, rock climbing, has improved as well. I mostly boulder which is full of short duration, powerful moves. I have noticed my body has a lot more control through the hips and rest of my core when doing overhanging or roof problems.

I do not get out and try enough new sports though.
Old 03-03-2008, 08:26 AM   #9
David Aguasca

Profile:

first, personal experience: i've had the opposite of grant. crossfit as of yet has not had a significant effect on my climbing; for me it lacks the specific grip work. that has always been my weakpoint. i've never failed to climb something because i got gassed or i couldn't pull anymore, i simply just peel off.

now...some ideas. i really don't think crossfitters play enough. i think so much focus has been put on increasing power, work capacity, and now strength, that the "regularly learn and play new sports" aspect of CF has fallen by the wayside.

that said, there are plenty of crossfitters who use CF for their sport. I've been wanting to implement CF effectively for my sport. next time i'm in my climbing gym, i'm going to put a series of boulder problems into a workout, alternating with burpees or squats...

something like

5 rounds for time:
10 burpees
boulder problem
15 squats

i feel like that's a good use for crossfit for people who need the SPP for their sport, but still lack GPP.
Old 03-03-2008, 08:33 AM   #10
Randy Tarasevich

Profile:

This thread is interesting.