CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 04-17-2012, 02:17 PM   #341
Jon Daniel Hoberg

Profile:
Re: Gslp

Please explain more.

Like when they are done in the GSLP.
Old 04-17-2012, 02:48 PM   #342
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

It's discussed multiple times in this thread, on the SV GSLP thread, and in the GSLP book. Short answer is 4-5 sets at ~50% of your max reps spread throughout the day, 4-5 days per week.
Old 04-18-2012, 06:25 AM   #343
Mark Davis

Profile:

So I started this program on Monday and it felt pretty good. I read the entire thread a few weeks ago at SV, and posted a few questions, but haven't got any answers yet. So maybe someone can help me here. So from the thread this is the gist:

Monday
Bench/ or Press (A/B) 2x 5, 1 x 5+
Curl 2x 10-15 (bench days)
Squat 2x 5, 1x 5+
Neck Harness

Wednesday
Bench/ or Press 2x5, 1x 5+
Weighted Chins 2 x 6-8 (press days, and only if you can do at least 6-8 BW chins)
Deadlift 1x 5+ (with or without power cleans as warmups)
Neck Harness

Friday
Squat 2x 5, 1x 5+
Neck Harness

Bodyweight Chins are done every day.
5 lb jumps on Squat and Deadlift
2.5lb jumps on pressing movements and curls (when rep ranges are satisfied)
When reps on last set fall below 5, take 10% off of bar and begin process over (on that lift only)

Do I keep this template exact, only deadlifting 1x a week ? Or could I do a A-B-A one week, and a B-A-B the next and repeat the 2 week cycle? So I would be squating 2x, deadlifting 1x a week the first week, and then squating 1x, deadlifting 2x the second week. Also does one set of deadlifts seem to little? I was think about sticking with the 5,5,5+ set and rep sceme. What would be a good sub for the neck harness? I was thinking shrugs, but doing shrugs 3x a week seems a little overkill. And JP says that body weight chins are done everyday? Does this mean everyday that I am lifting or everyday? And how many do I do and would I do body weight chins in addition to the weighted chins of deadlift day? Sorry for all the questions.
Old 04-18-2012, 06:54 AM   #344
Ben Gabriel

Profile:

Keep the template exact there is no need to deadlift more than once a week. Also all you really need for the deadlift is the one set.
Old 04-18-2012, 07:11 AM   #345
Craig Horstman

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Davis View Post
So I started this program on Monday and it felt pretty good. I read the entire thread a few weeks ago at SV, and posted a few questions, but haven't got any answers yet. So maybe someone can help me here. So from the thread this is the gist:

Monday
Squat 2x 5, 1x 5+
Neck Harness

Wednesday
Weighted Chins 2 x 6-8 (press days, and only if you can do at least 6-8 BW chins)
Neck Harness

Friday
Squat 2x 5, 1x 5+
Neck Harness

When reps on last set fall below 5, take 10% off of bar and begin process over (on that lift only)

Do I keep this template exact, only deadlifting 1x a week ? Or could I do a A-B-A one week, and a B-A-B the next and repeat the 2 week cycle? So I would be squating 2x, deadlifting 1x a week the first week, and then squating 1x, deadlifting 2x the second week. Also does one set of deadlifts seem to little? I was think about sticking with the 5,5,5+ set and rep sceme. What would be a good sub for the neck harness? I was thinking shrugs, but doing shrugs 3x a week seems a little overkill. And JP says that body weight chins are done everyday? Does this mean everyday that I am lifting or everyday? And how many do I do and would I do body weight chins in addition to the weighted chins of deadlift day? Sorry for all the questions.
-squats and deadlift stay the same. you should be squatting 2 times a week and deadlifting 1 day. the bench/curl, press/chin is done in a a,b,a b,a,b format.
-if you're hitting the right weight for dead (max of 10) then one set will be enough
-shrugs can be subs for neck, but i dont know sets/reps since i use a harness
-bodyweight chins and pushups are done daily 5-6 days a week in the fm format. the low volume won't effect your recovery for your weighted chins
-for the number of chins you do a day, take about 50% of your max number and do them a few times a day. for example, start out at 3 sets a day for a week. the next week add another set so you're doing 4 a day. then continue to add sets and reps as they become easy
Old 04-18-2012, 07:31 AM   #346
Craig Horstman

Profile:

and i have a question for eric or any of you who might have run into this problem before. i'm stuck on weighted chins. i got up to 8 and with 35lbs and couldnt get any farther. never can get past 8 on the first or 7 on the second. even tried doing my second set with less weight. still didnt work. today dropped my weigh to 25lbs and got 7 and 5. the only thing i can see is that i haven't been doing fm chins because after a while, they make my shoulders hurt. not muscle soreness, but joint soreness. any ideas on how to fix/get past it?
Old 04-18-2012, 10:09 AM   #347
John Lowry

Profile:

Maybe you could try doing pull ups instead of chins? Obviously the weight would be slightly less when doing chin ups.

Also, I know this isn't part of the program but I added BB Rows some days to compliment the frequency of the bench pressing.
Old 04-18-2012, 10:24 AM   #348
Craig Horstman

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Lowry View Post
Maybe you could try doing pull ups instead of chins? Obviously the weight would be slightly less when doing chin ups.

Also, I know this isn't part of the program but I added BB Rows some days to compliment the frequency of the bench pressing.
what days, sets, and reps for the rows?
Old 04-18-2012, 11:35 AM   #349
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Davis View Post

Monday
Squat 2x 5, 1x 5+
Neck Harness

Wednesday
Neck Harness

Friday
Squat 2x 5, 1x 5+
Neck Harness

There are very good reasons for only deadlifting once per week and for only doing one deadlift work set. I highly recommend doing the program as it's written.

Chins and pushups can be done nearly every day as long as you only do them at about 50% of your max set, for 4-5 sets per day on 4-5 days per week.
Old 04-19-2012, 06:59 AM   #350
Mark Davis

Profile:

So stick to deadlifts just 1 day a week. I also want to try to incorporate BB rows and bodyweight dips in the program. It seems like a lot of benching (pushing) without an equal balance of pulling (BB rows etc). I don't see myself doing the FM pushups or chins. I did my first lifting day with a metcon yesterday: deadlift day + AMRAP in 10 min: 10 1 pood kettle bell swing each hand, 10 24 in. box jumps. So if I was thinking about doing 3 metcoms a week, when would you guys do them? I was thinking Mon., Wed., Sat. and leaving tues, thurs, and sun. for total recovery. Or do you think I should switch one of the rest days for a metcon?