CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 02-11-2012, 04:40 PM   #1
Evan Peikon

Profile:
supplements w/ artificial sweeteners

just a general question: whats everyones take on sports supplements (protein powders, bcaa's etc) with artificial sweeteners in them. i often hear various coaches say how artificial sweeteners/ diet sodas etc should be avoided at all costs, yet they recommend products with the same sweeteners. So i waned to know if they are safe/ have any side effects/ if use of the said bcaa/protein powders should be avoided.
Old 02-11-2012, 08:23 PM   #2
Alan Siebuhr

Profile:
Re: supplements w/ artificial sweeteners

My opinion, though not an educated one, is that as long as your diet is not based on these supplements and you have real food make up 99% of your diet, I see no reason to fear them.
Old 02-11-2012, 08:27 PM   #3
Randy Hill

Profile:

Artificial sweeteners aren't the best things you could be putting in your body, so do some Google research and learn more about their effects. Everybody is going to have an opinion on whether or not they are harmful, as i've seen on other forums. Otherwise, this post will turn in to a debate on whether they cause you to secrete insulin, cause cancer, etc. Which is not your original question.

Then, once you've determined the safety and consequences of artificial sweeteners, decide whether or not the benefits from the supplement outweigh the consequence of the artificial sweeteners...
Old 02-11-2012, 09:12 PM   #4
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

If you are sensitive to them, then make sure to use products that don't use them.

In general they taste like *** and I'd rather get stuff without them. You can hardly find chewing gum without Ace K anymore.
Old 02-12-2012, 07:56 AM   #5
Mark Davis

Profile:

Yeah I agree they are in EVERYTHING. The only one that I will use from time to time is stevia (kind of a natural one). I just look at them as chemicals because that is what they are. Are chemicals generally healthy? Not usually. Like was previously said there is a decent amount of research that indicates that they are not healthy for various reasons. And healthiness aside, they get your taste buds used to this intense sweetness, and then when you eat something that is normally sweet, e.g. cantaloupe, it won't taste as sweet (personal experience). If I really need a protein shake, I have been buying unflavored whey protein isolate and then adding about a tablespoon of unsweetened cocao powder to it.
Old 02-12-2012, 09:34 AM   #6
Evan Peikon

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Davis View Post
Yeah I agree they are in EVERYTHING. The only one that I will use from time to time is stevia (kind of a natural one). I just look at them as chemicals because that is what they are. Are chemicals generally healthy? Not usually. Like was previously said there is a decent amount of research that indicates that they are not healthy for various reasons. And healthiness aside, they get your taste buds used to this intense sweetness, and then when you eat something that is normally sweet, e.g. cantaloupe, it won't taste as sweet (personal experience). If I really need a protein shake, I have been buying unflavored whey protein isolate and then adding about a tablespoon of unsweetened cocao powder to it.
I think that's a big problem with them. They make people crave bad food and then there not satisfied and eat a lot of it. But my diet consit of meat/vegetables only so I don't have to worry about that effect.