CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 05-24-2005, 09:56 PM   #1
John Elstad

Profile:
I've done three rounds of WODs (9 in all). On my first WOD, I did about 5 pull-ups before I needed assistance. Today, after 100 squats, sit-ups, and push-ups, I couldn't do one. I was hoping that I would at least improve modestly on my first WOD, but today's performance makes me wonder if I'm missing something. I'd appreciate any helpful comments.
Old 05-25-2005, 02:21 AM   #2
Graham Hayes

Profile:
In any case it must be understood that the CrossFit workouts are extremely demanding and will tax the capacities of even the world's best athletes. You would be well advised to take on the WOD carefully, cautiously, and work first towards completing the workouts comfortably and consistently before "throwing" yourself at them 100%. The best results have come for those who've "gone through the motions" of the WOD by reducing recommended loads, reps, and sets while not endeavoring towards impressive times for a month before turning up the heat. We counsel you to establish consistency with the WOD before maximizing intensity. - Getting Started.
Old 05-25-2005, 04:13 AM   #3
Carl Herzog

Profile:
It is common to experience a reduction in, say, pull-up numbers when fatigued from other demanding tasks. This is one of the traits the Crossfit method is aimed at training.

As Dan John says so succinctly, the body is one piece.
Old 05-25-2005, 07:44 AM   #4
Rene Renteria

Profile:
Give your body some time. You've been at it not even two weeks. Be patient, and remember that this is for the long haul (multiple years to decades); the gains will come if you continue to do the WOD. Be more concerned about form, especially early on, and don't worry about not being able to bang out all the reps or lift all the weight.

If you search around on the board, you'll find that people (including myself) modify exercises substantially as we build up to doing WODs as prescribed. Jumping pullups, negatives, and assistance will help keep the metabolic aspect humming while getting you some reps to get stronger at movements.

Have fun,
Rene'
Old 05-25-2005, 09:05 AM   #5
William Hunter

Profile:
I agree with Rene'.

After two weeks, I was sore in so many different areas that I wasn't sure that I could stand in one position for very long, let alone exercise.

You'll hit your stride after a month or two.
Old 05-25-2005, 01:03 PM   #6
Don Stevenson

Profile:
I can do 50+ pushups in one set when i'm fresh but ask me to do them after a hard run or some oly lifting and i'm down to 10 at a time.

You'll get used to the fatigue thing and then when you test your pullups fresh you will see big improvements.

Enjoy!
Old 05-26-2005, 05:22 AM   #7
Kathryn Steen

Profile:
glad someone else noticed the same thing. i had a similar problem to john when i did upside down angie yesterday. i got maybe 10 real pull ups and did the rest jumping. doing it that way, my time was down four minutes from right side up angie, but when i did it right side up i got a total of 40 real pull ups (broken of course) before i had to switch to jumping.
crossfitting since this past thanksgiving, btw, but just recently joined the message board.
Old 05-26-2005, 09:42 AM   #8
Graham Hayes

Profile:
Deja vu?
Old 05-26-2005, 03:49 PM   #9
Kathryn Steen

Profile:
all over again!
Old 05-27-2005, 07:43 AM   #10
John Elstad

Profile:
Thanks, everyone for the sage advice and encouragement. Sorry I haven't been more attentive to this thread; I've been away from the computer for a few days.

John