CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 10-20-2005, 05:51 AM   #1
Matthew Hoyle

Profile:
I was wondering if there is anyone that still follows the warrior diet. I havn't seen any posts on it since July. I am curious to see benefits people might have got from it, or reasons why they stopped.
Old 10-20-2005, 09:37 AM   #2
John Phipps

Profile:
I am still doing the "Warrior Diet". Here is a link with a short summary of what it is.

http://health.indiatimes.com/articleshow/1246566.cms

I am still doing it because it feels right for me. I don't want the clock on the wall to tell me it's time to eat. I want my hunger to tell me when to eat. I like being a little hungry during the day. I feel more alert and energetic. In the evening when I get home from work I will do the WOD on an empty stomach, then clean up, eat as much as I want for as long as I want and then relax.

My bodyweight is pretty much the same, my energy level is better, my strength and endurance are making slow and steady gains. I am also trying to get more sleep and drink more water. I feel energetic, optimistic, and glad to be alive.
Old 10-20-2005, 03:09 PM   #3
Brendan Melville

Profile:
God if that's not the best promotion for a diet, then I don't know what is.
Old 10-20-2005, 05:52 PM   #4
Sean Harrison

Profile:
I tried it for about 2 weeks. Not knocking it all, just I got lazy and tired of telling my girlfriend and other people that A: " I am not eating breakfast or lunch", and worst B: "I'm eating a huge dinner because maybe you forgot I told you A!!!"
I felt good though. It's been said for many centuries that an empty stomach can help with mental focus.
Old 10-21-2005, 01:56 AM   #5
Travis Mulroy

Profile:
Could someone answer a couple questions for me? The description of the Warrior Diet says to eat a small amount of fruits and veggies, and maybe some protien, throughout the undereating phase. But it also says not to eat carb foods on their own. Does this mean one should not snack on, say, an apple on its own? Also, should one avoid fats, like nuts, during the undereating phase? The diet seems pretty simple, but I am a little confused about the guidelines for the undereating phase. Any clarification would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 10-28-2005, 10:23 AM   #6
Nick Gagnon

Profile:
Apples are just fine when undereating, but I would stay away from the nuts.

I've been on this diet for about 1.5 months now, and I love it. It can get hard though, especially when your family or friends are eating lunch without you, and they give you crap for not eating, or they make fun of your apple, that being the only thing you eat. You just have to be disciplined, without discipline you won't get anywhere with this diet.
Old 10-31-2005, 08:14 PM   #7
Kris Crowley

Profile:
Wow, this is amazing! I've been looking at the whole Warrior Diet today (I checked out the book from the library again).

I had been doing the Zone Diet, and it worked great, but I hated having to look at a clock to say it's time to eat. I'd eat four blocks of brocoli and practically puke due to the overeating.

The past few days, when I've been hungry, I've waited to eat and it feels good.

HERE IS MY SUPER IMPORTANT QUESTION!!!

Chapter three, page sixteen:

The Undereating Principle.

The Undereating Phase is built on the principle of controlled fasting. It lasts for 16-18 hours after your last meal, including time you are asleep. [EMPHASIS MINE]

Well, what if those 16-18 hours after your last meal falls into the time you are asleep? I have no plan of waking up at 2:00 in the morning to eat because I'm in that time frame where I better eat right now.

Help please.
Old 10-31-2005, 08:37 PM   #8
Nick Gagnon

Profile:
I'm not quite sure what you mean by having to wake up at 2'o'clock in the morning, Kris, but the problem seems easy to fix.

I start eating between 6-7 PM, and finish eating when I go to bed at 10 PM. By no means am I eating the whole time, but I don't eat everything in one sitting. Just accustom your body to start and stop eating at the same time every night.
Old 10-31-2005, 08:40 PM   #9
Travis Mulroy

Profile:
Check out the "FAQ - SPECIAL TOPICS" section at "http://www.warriordiet.com/faq.html"; Ori adresses this question explicitly.

He says, basically, that you have about a four hour window at night in which to binge. So, for instance, you could overeat every night from 7pm - 11pm, and undereat the other 20 hours of the day. The exact hours can vary somewhat from day to day. His original formulation of this is needlessly complicated.

I should say that I just ended my five day experiment with this diet. Although I enjoyed the undereating / overeating cycle, I had serious trouble sleeping at night after my binge. I was restless and and heartburn - generally misrable. I have switched to the seemingly more moderate IF. So far, it seems to offer many of the benefits without the unpleasant side-effects of the warrior diet. Just thought I'd let you know, in case you have a similar experience with the warrior diet.
Old 10-31-2005, 10:13 PM   #10
Kris Crowley

Profile:
Nick and Travis,

You were both VERY HELPFUL. I was under the impression that the one time you eat was just a simple meal. I haven't read the overeating phase yet. I guess I should have done that first.

Thanks to both of you.

Kris