CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 06-25-2005, 05:41 PM   #1
Scott Kustes

Profile:
...that ****ed me off for some reason. Even though it doesn't really affect me, this really irritated me (can we get a "Rants" section?). So my fiance and I were in the peanut butter aisle and I saw "Skippy Natural. No stirring needed ever." So I'm thinking "how natural can it be if there's no stirring needed? gotta be something unnatural about that as natural nut butters seperate." So I look at the ingredients and this "natural" peanut butter is made of roasted peanuts, sugar, palm oil, and salt. How is peanut butter with sugar and oil natural? For some reason, I just found it rather insidious that Skippy would taint the healthier, natural nut butters with their still sugar laden product. Why do food manufacturers have to try to screw everybody else to make a buck?
Old 06-25-2005, 06:51 PM   #2
Kelly Moore

Profile:
I agree with you Scott. Sure seems wrong to me - but I'm sure they would respond by saying that sugar and palm oil are "natural" ingredients.

Like you said, anything to make a buck.
Old 06-25-2005, 07:12 PM   #3
Beth Moscov

Profile:
The word "natural" in label language can be used to mean anything. There are specific definitions for calling something juice and that is why there are fruit "drinks" and specific definitions for organic and other such things but not for "natural". It has been fooling a lot of folks for a long time.
Old 06-26-2005, 02:43 PM   #4
Bill Betts

Profile:

Re Peant Butter

It only takes a small amount of transfatty to stabilize the commercial peanut butter and it may be small enough to pass the requirements for labeling in places like Canada and the US. As well there is a trick they are allowed to use. If you notice that the breakdown of the the fat listed on the container does not add up to the total fat, the difference is transfatty.

peanut butter recipe

1 food processor
3 cups organic peanuts (buy bulk with a freind and save bigtime)
2-3 tbsp organic olive oil (also bulk with freind)

mix to taste in blender add salt if required, keep in fridge.

Tastier, cheaper and better for you than any commercial peanut butter.
Old 06-27-2005, 08:09 AM   #5
Patrick Kennedy

Profile:
Things about the grocery store **** me off:

1. Having all my purchases tracked, or paying extra for everything (by not getting the 'card price').

2. Soy in tuna fish.
Tuna, in water(any brand)

Ingredients:
Tuna, water, vegetable broth(contains soy), salt.

What gives? I just want plain tuna in water.

Try to find a can of tuna fish in water without soy added. Every single brand at Stop and Shop has soy in it.

I won't eat it anymore.
Old 06-27-2005, 09:01 AM   #6
Jason Berger

Profile:

Things that **** me off: when I see commercials for things like Quik chocolate syrup proclaiming that both children and parents love it and it's a great choice for a child's diet because it's fortified with essential vitamins and minerals required for your child to grow up healthy and strong.

I can take a crap and sprinkle a multi-vitamin on it: nutritionally worthless, but fortified. Pay me five dollars a jar and your kid will love it!
Old 06-27-2005, 12:07 PM   #7
Ron Nelson

Profile:
Here's what I don't get: Chips that say 0 trans fats.
If there is either partially hydrogenated or just plain old hydrogenated oil of any type used, are there not trans fatty acids involved?

I think there are, so how do the good folks at Frito Lay tell me my Dorritos have 0 trans fats?

OK, they're not my Dorritos; they're my friend's. I was just watching them for him while he was in the bathroom. Honest. Not mine.
Old 06-28-2005, 05:55 AM   #8
Daniel Overvoll

Profile:
Hey, it's taken me a year to ralize that NUTELLA is not a natural nut butter. I mean, it has NUT in the name! Now you guys have me reading labels and stuff! Gosh, it's like I'm friggin' responsible for my own chioces or something!
Old 06-28-2005, 06:06 AM   #9
Brendan Melville

Profile:
my peanut butter says "Ingredients: PEANUTS..."
Old 06-28-2005, 10:19 AM   #10
Ron Nelson

Profile:
That's funny, my coffee's ingredients list this:
Coffee.

Where's the 100% happiness I derive from drinking it? Can that just be coincidence?