CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 06-10-2005, 01:49 PM   #1
Woody Davis

Profile:

My question is about post-exercise nutrition. What is best? I exercise in the morning and normally have a piece of fruit after my workout and then breakfast an hour later. I’m trying to figure out the best thing to do given the following info from Art Devany’s blog:

“Hold all your drinks until after the work out and then consume only water until your next meal (which should be breakfast). After the work out do not drink sports drinks or "gainer" drinks and do not consume any powdered protein supplements or protein bars. The best thing to do after a work out is to take a 40 minute walk. During this walk you will burn fat because you have released growth hormone and your body is using free fatty acids to restore the phosphates and glycogen in your muscles. If you block that process by consuming anything that contains simple carbohydrate (and all the items I mentioned above do) you will shut down this fat burning process.
You want to drain the glycogen from your muscles, which you do through the glycolytic exercises that are part of the Evolutionary Fitness workout. One reason (and it may be the primary reason) people become insulin resistant and diabetic is because they never drain their muscles of glycogen and other energy stores. Muscle is the most insulin sensitive tissue in the body and you must have lots of it and drain it so that it retains its sensitivity and ability to soak up glucose from the blood stream. Replenishing muscle glycogen rapidly requires the ingestion of glucose in large doses. Once you compensate for the drained glycogen by refilling the muscle you lose the insulin sensitivity which the exercise produced. Athletes who supercompensate through carbohydrate loading to increase the glycogen content of their muscles, diminish their insulin sensitivity. One of the main purposes of exercise is to enhance insulin sensitivity.”

I’ve never thought of increasing insulin sensitivity as a goal of your exercise. I’ve always thought of it solely in terms of diet.
Old 06-10-2005, 03:47 PM   #2
Jason Simpkins

Profile:

Woody,

You'll come across many different points of view on post workout recovery nutrition. Just try a number of recipes and see which works best for you.

My current post workout plan is as follows:

40 g of undenatured whey protein
5 g of L-glutamine
1g buffered ascorbic acid powder
1 tbs green foods powder
1/2 cup of blueberries
1 banana
2 cups fresh water

I usually follow this up with a Zone friendly meal 1 hour later.
Old 06-11-2005, 07:38 AM   #3
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Or you cold drink chocolate milk...protein + carbs in a proper ratio. If you still need to shed bodyfat to get under 10% I would shy away from the carbs post workout. Play around with this and see what works best for you.
Old 06-11-2005, 02:05 PM   #4
Woody Davis

Profile:

Considering the large insulin response to regular milk (whole and skim) I don't think chocolate milk would be recommeded at all.

I've always thought you needed to eat soon after exercise to take advantage of your muscles' ability to absorb nutrients, carbs, etc. It appears from Devany's article (*assuming he is correct) that you need to wait a little while to eat. However, he doesn't give any explicit instructions.
Old 06-11-2005, 02:40 PM   #5
Kristian Palaoro

Profile:

Indeed Woody, your body is in a state of frantic nutrient absorption after a good workout. Fat burning occurs most effectively when your body is deprived of a supply of carbohydrates. If you were to workout first thing in the morning before eating anything, you would be receiving most of your supply of energy from the hydrolysis of fatty acids, ie fat burning. I do not pretend to well understand insulin response, so I recommend exploring peer reviewed scientific articles on google scholar, and contacting a physician if you are diabetic. Do not take anyone's word for it if you have a condidtion. The most increased rate of uptake of nutrients post workout is in the form of carbohydrates, referred to as a "carb window" lasting as much as two hours. I would recommend dumping a large egg-white omelet down your throat after a workout, and waiting a while for a large dose of carbs, if you are trying to limit carb uptake.
Old 06-11-2005, 02:43 PM   #6
Kristian Palaoro

Profile:

Oh yeah, one last caveat to carb limiting. The neurons in your brain respond sub-optimally to ketones as a source of energy. This is one of the products of fatty acid hydrolysis. If you have a brain intensive exam or occupation, you might do well not to totally exclude carbs after a workout.
Old 06-11-2005, 05:58 PM   #7
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Woody, run post workout chocolate milk in the search engine and you will see a study i posted.
Old 06-12-2005, 12:51 AM   #8
Neill S. Occhiogrosso

Profile:
I posted this in another thread, but this is what Lyle McDonald had to say about fat burning in a glycogen depleted state:

"All that research says is that you burn a greater proportion of fat this way, which I agree with 100%. The majority of research shows that as far as real world fat loss goes, it doesn’t really matter what you burn. Rather, 24-hour calorie balance is what matters. Because if you burn glucose during exercise, you tend to burn more fat the rest of the day. If you burn fat during exercise, you burn more glucose during the day. The end result is identical."
Old 06-13-2005, 03:31 PM   #9
Kristian Palaoro

Profile:

If you deplete your blood glucose levels enough during exercise, and do not replenish them through carbohydrate ingestion after, you will burn fat the "rest of the day" under low exercise demands, and proteinaceous fiber under higher demand. If you are ingesting carbs after a workout, as soon as this energy source enters your bloodstream, you will cease fat metabolism. Fatty acids are not metabolised in the presence of carbohydrates under mild stress condidtions.
Old 06-13-2005, 07:52 PM   #10
Hone Watson

Profile:
I eat absolutely nothing for an hour - 2 hours.