CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 07-23-2008, 08:27 AM   #1
Kathy Bertram

Profile:
Fighting to open a CF gym in the fattest state in the nation!

Hey my fellow crossfitters! I was so over the top encouraged when i went for my level one back in june. The enthusiasm and reception crossfit has out that way was inspiring. Then i had to come back to gulfport MS. I have been/ or tried to be a personal trainier here for a year. The economy has eaten many of my clients.
I am in the affiliation process and have been busting my tail to get the word out. I almost feel it is my calling to bring about an increased awareness to this part of the country in ruguards to being fit. It's a tough opponent.
Any words of wisdom???
Old 07-24-2008, 12:06 PM   #2
Frank DiMeo

Profile:
Re: Fighting to open a CF gym in the fattest state in the nation!

Kathy, hang in there!
When I first found CrossFit, there were only 4 CF gyms is the world (no joke), that was in 2004. When I affiliated in 2005, I was the first CF gym on the Gulf Coast of Florida and only the 2nd in the whole state, CrossFit East was the first one.
No one had a clue what I was talking about.
Eventually, as my own fitness improved noticeably and I got a client or 2 that also got good results, the word started to get out.
It's taken time to build my business; that's just how it works.
Don't get discouraged!
Now in 2008, I am planning on opening my 2nd CF affiliate in the same city.
CrossFit has a huge name for itself world-wide and you have success stories you can refer too as you build your own.
Aside from helping your clients in the gym, it helps to do some free stuff for your community.
I offered to write a free fitness column for our local newspaper, and they jumped on it. It helped get my name out to the public even though it did not directly make me money.
It helped others & developed trust.
Stay at it, you'll do fine!
Old 07-24-2008, 09:29 PM   #3
Kathy Bertram

Profile:
Talking Re: Fighting to open a CF gym in the fattest state in the nation!

Hey man, I totally appreciate the words of encouragement. We got our application approved yesterday and sent in all the other stuff today!!! This is such a labor of love for me. Just today I had a guy who tried it out for the first time, he had that look in his eyes afterwards that told me he was a believer!!! I live for that!
I think what i love the most about crossfitters is that there is a universal something that makes us want to help eachother out.
Again, i thank you for your kind words and i totally respect how you have come so far with it!

Have a happy one!
kathy
Old 07-25-2008, 03:36 AM   #4
Richard Macaulay

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy Bertram View Post
Hey man, I totally appreciate the words of encouragement. We got our application approved yesterday and sent in all the other stuff today!!! This is such a labor of love for me. Just today I had a guy who tried it out for the first time, he had that look in his eyes afterwards that told me he was a believer!!! I live for that!
I think what i love the most about crossfitters is that there is a universal something that makes us want to help eachother out.
Again, i thank you for your kind words and i totally respect how you have come so far with it!

Have a happy one!
kathy

Kathy, i think what u are doing is awesome. I have so much respect for u!! I found CF a couple months ago, and am CF obsessed now. I am a personal trainer in training (have gym instructor xam this weekend ahhh lol), but if id found this a year ago i just would have done this instead. Anyway i plan to get CF certified as soon as i can, tho i live in scotland and the nearest place that will do it is manchester, and maybe not until october/novemeber.

I am also a rugby player so only do Cf 3-4 times a week, tho after this season im gonna do CF full time.

I am actually heading over to the states to New Orleans at the turn of the year to coach and play rugby, i just found out from someone on this site that new orleans is opening up a CF affiliate, and im so happy. I was wanting to come and train in the CF homeland but was surprised louisiana had no affiliates. I also plan to travel to other parts of the states, so might come and check out ur dundgeon, and have sum fun and work my *** off at the same time.

My dream is to actually move to states in next year or 2 and work there. The fitness industry is a minority thing over here in Scotland (we have 3 Cf affiliates tho). No one i have mentioned CF to has any idea of what im talking about or apparently any interest in giving it a shot. I only found out about it through meeting and talking to an american golfer a couple of months ago (god bless him haha).

Id love to be over working in america, i love the people, the language, the hole place, and id love to be in a place were people love fitness and helping to improve the lives of others as much as i do.

That is what Cf is all about.

That is what i want to be apart of?!

Ricky
Old 07-25-2008, 04:42 AM   #5
Richard Macaulay

Profile:

Sorry i also meant to ask (as i am trying to gather info on the subject), are u a full time CF trainer?

If so, what did u do b4 (if u dont mind me asking)?

Ricky
Old 07-25-2008, 07:06 AM   #6
Kathy Bertram

Profile:

Hey Ricky,
Your dedication to CF is awsome. That's what's so great about it. Once you get the CF bug it's impossible to shake! I am trying to be a full-time CF trainer, got my level one in june. Before that i was just a regular personal trainer... got so bored with it.
I have a bodybuilding background. I thought i was in great shape till i did my first WOD and decided i pretty much sucked! Have given up the BB and am now sold out to the "total" fitness approach to life. (that and i got tiard of dieting down for shows)
When you come to the states you should come by and i will be sure to give you a great thrashing! Tell ya what, you come live here and i will go live where you are... I'd be happy to do so!
Thanks for writing! Thanks for the support!
Old 07-25-2008, 07:18 AM   #7
Richard Macaulay

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy Bertram View Post
Hey Ricky,
Your dedication to CF is awsome. That's what's so great about it. Once you get the CF bug it's impossible to shake! I am trying to be a full-time CF trainer, got my level one in june. Before that i was just a regular personal trainer... got so bored with it.
I have a bodybuilding background. I thought i was in great shape till i did my first WOD and decided i pretty much sucked! Have given up the BB and am now sold out to the "total" fitness approach to life. (that and i got tiard of dieting down for shows)
When you come to the states you should come by and i will be sure to give you a great thrashing! Tell ya what, you come live here and i will go live where you are... I'd be happy to do so!
Thanks for writing! Thanks for the support!

Its my pleasure, i really want to help people get the best out of themselves, while improving their health, and lives in general. and i have so much respect for others who try to do the same.

I know what u mean, i am having to study certain things at the moment, and im kinda struggling. I mean how can i try and convince someone to join a gym and spend their time on resistance machines all the time when thats not what i do, and i dont think thats how they will reach their fitness goals. Its a puzzler. Its like me believeing high protein diet is the way to get big, and then instructing my client who wants to get big that high carbs are the way to go (bad example but u c what i mean)....All i want to tell them is start Crossfitting lol.
Its not big at all over here. Fitness in general is bad over here. Thats another reason i want to get over to u guys and work i a place wer i feel il be working with people who want to be the best they can.

My dream has been to be a personal trainer, and that hasnt changed. Its the same dream, now tho i want to be a CF personal trainer!!

Haha ok, im gonna be hitting CF new orleans for coupe months, so il come by and teach u guys how tough the scots are.lol.

Have u got a web site yet?

Ricky

Oh if u wanted to see wer i live, go to google and type in North Berwick.

Last edited by Richard Macaulay; 07-25-2008 at 07:20 AM..