CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 08-02-2012, 01:30 PM   #1
Dan Mandini

Profile:
Training outside of the box

I have had my level one for about 8 months now and people want me to start training them at my regular job. For example, a couple of women at work used to go to a track during lunch to workout and now want me to give them workouts and tips on nutrition. Is there anything I need to have or be aware of when be a "personal trainer" outside the confines of my CrossFit gym?
Old 08-02-2012, 02:17 PM   #2
Mikko Aaltonen

Profile:
Re: Training outside of the box

No worries as long as you play by the rules They are printed, at least on my copy, on the last pages of L1 Trainers reading material
Old 08-03-2012, 01:55 PM   #3
Dan Mandini

Profile:

Wouldn't I need insurance? I don't think that's a crossfit covered thing. I think that is my biggest concern.
Old 08-04-2012, 12:20 PM   #4
Mikko Aaltonen

Profile:

I don't know about the insurance policies, as they are very different over there vs. Finland. We got our business covered, and at some level you should too. Some US affiliate owner will be able to inform you on that.
Old 08-05-2012, 09:44 AM   #5
Steve Loeding

Profile:

ask your company if they will cover you while you train these people on company time and property. Get it in writing. Or see if they will cover the insurance cost for you. Have a thought out presentation before you ask. If not, get your own insurance. It may cost a little but not as much as a lawsuit.
Old 08-12-2012, 05:41 AM   #6
Steve Rakow

Profile:

As an affiliate owner, I'd offer the following advice:
1. Make sure the affiliate where you currently train knows what you're up to. Keeps you honest in their eyes, especially if you intend to open up your own affiliate.
2. Why not approach your company about affiliation? Explain to them the benefits of CF, that you'll be the affiliate "owner", run the website, and coach the classes. They just pay the affiliation fee and buy the equipment that they allow you to use. Everything will then be on the up and up and you give credit where credit is due - CrossFit.
3. Insurance - regardless of whether the company covers you, get your own personal trainer insurance if you're not going to affiliate.
4. Don't violate your L1 trainer agreement with respect to what you're allowed to do with your L1 certificate, advertising, etc.

Regards,
Steve
Old 08-14-2012, 06:47 AM   #7
Dan Mandini

Profile:

Great stuff. Thanks. I know my company won't want to affiliate or buy equipment or buy much of anything. What this really came down to was someone knowing that I train and asked "hey what can I do to get in shape?" Before I knew it, a couple people were asking and rather them going on their own and doing bro-squats and such, I'd teach them to do it right. What kind of personal trainer insurance is there out there? I'm completely in the dark when it comes to that.