CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 02-16-2004, 10:33 AM   #1
Jay Swan

Profile:
Looking for suggestions on hotel workouts where there are no weights or pullup bars available.

I'm thinking if there's a treadmill:

5-7 x (400m + 25 pushups + 25 squats)

Other suggestions? What about no-treadmill options?
Old 02-16-2004, 10:45 AM   #2
Matt Toupalik

Profile:
One no-treadmill option would be burpee intervals using the Tabata method; 20 seconds of burpees followed by 10 seconds of rest, repeated for a total of 8 intervals.That should get your heart racing, and if not, do it again.
If you have access to a flight of stairs, or better yet, several flights of stairs, you could use that.A circuit of burpees, mountain climbers, squats, and grasshoppers would also suffice.
For a more strength-oriented workout, you could do pistols and handstand push-ups.Do ladders and alternate between the two exercises.
For abs, you could do some planks and sit-ups.
There are tons of options available.
Old 02-16-2004, 02:02 PM   #3
Ross Burke

Profile:
I really like rockback squats, which is where you start lying on the ground, bring your knees towards your face, then power yourself forward into a squat and stand up, then go back down and repeat. I like alternating rockback squats with hindu pushups, like 1 squat, 1 pushup, 2 squats, 2 pushups, etc. all the way up to 20 rockback squats and 20 hindu pushups. That is a pretty hard workout. Also good are tabata squats and situps and pushups. I recently tried the eight minutes of hell routine which is something like jumping jacks, shuffling(kinda like shadow boxing), burpees, and squat jumps with each exercise for thirty seconds and the circuit repeated for 4 times. Tabata jump squats are absolutely brutal, as are tabata mountain climbers. You could also use the time to practice anything from L-sits, to one arm pushups, to pistols, to one arm handstands, to neck bridges, etc. If you are a true masochist, like me, you could come up with a list of every single bodyweight exercise you know, including every variation, and do each one for thirty seconds. I have done pretty much all of this and while I don't think any of it is as hard as say tabata thrusters with 95 pounds or barbell squatting 185 pounds for reps in 20 minutes, it comes close if you really push it.
Old 02-17-2004, 09:29 AM   #4
Rick Greevy

Profile:  
you can get some back work with the following: try doing door pullups. just open the bathroom door, hang onto the top edge and pull. just make sure it is a sturdy door. you could also use a towel to do rows by tightly rolling the towel (so it keeps its full length) then put the middle of the towel against the edge of the door just above the door knob. wrap the two ends of the towel behind the corresponding half of the door knob so the free end of the towel comes back towards your body. you can now do one arm or two arm body weight rows. both are in pavel's naked warrior book. i usually take a couple of powerbands with me in my suitcase to add some variety. If your going by car you could throw a kettlebell in the trunk too.
Old 02-17-2004, 05:23 PM   #5
Santo Giacolo

Profile:  
Handstand Pushups
Pistols
One Arm Pushups
Burpees
Jump rope
Core work

These are my favorite "hotel" exercises, along with running. I also head for the pool if there is one available.

Old 02-18-2004, 06:39 AM   #6
Scott McAndrews

Profile:

Modified the directions for parallettes, from the September 2003 issue of the Crossfit Journal, a bit to make a pair that breaks down and will fit into a duffle bag. I'm heading out on a month long trip road trip and plan to bring these and a few other impliments (i.e., Jumprope, ab wheel, kettlebell, running shoes, wrist roller, neck harness) to try to keep working towards crossfitness.
Old 02-24-2004, 11:27 AM   #7
Chris Kantarjiev

Profile:

Single leg bridges seem like a decent hotel-grade approximation to hip extensions: http://www.tinajuanfitness.info/exer...legbridge.html

chris