CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 07-17-2005, 03:44 PM   #1
Brad Smith

Profile:
I just discovered this site this weekend and am EXCITED to get started!!! :rofl: I'm already wanting to completely revamp my workouts, as soon as I learn more about what I need to do.

A little history about me just so you'll know where I am "on the path." I'm 51 y/o :sad: and changed my life in 2000. I had been on blood pressure meds for about 11 years (possibly not needed but that's another story) and my doctor wanted to put me on cholesterol lowering drugs. I said, "wait, can't I do something to prevent this???" Gee, what a novel concept! To make a long story short, I dropped 40 lbs in a short period of time, avoided the new drugs and got off the BP meds in 2001... and haven't gone back! I think over-seeing "mildly obese" on my chart was a big motivator, too, because I didn't perceive myself that way. I'd played basketball all my life recreationally but had quit in '99 because my knees were a problem (later learned that squats actually HELPED that!).

I've been trying to educate myself on fitness and nutrition ever since and feel that my diet is in pretty good shape. As a great side benefit, my wife saw my results and didn't want to be "left behind" so she's now a fitness-phile as well. It makes it a lot easier to have both of us with the same goals. I know nutrition is the base of the pyramid and my meals are basically:
breakfast - oatmeal + blueberries, protein shake
meals eaten thru the day - chicken breast or wild salmon (grilled over the weekend), apple or prunes, almonds or peanuts, bag of veggies
dinner - more chicken or grass-fed beef + veggies

Anyway, I've been spending a lot of time in the weight room and doing HIIT on the recumbent bike or on the track as my general w/o format. Lately, I've just been hitting the weight room M/Th racquetball on Wednesdays, and more "cardio" type stuff on T/F/Sa. I also have a local hill I like to climb that really gets my heart pumping. Still my strength endurance and aerobic capacity suck which is why I have fewer days with the weights.

I only do a handful of basic exercises/lifts. My routine is DL, squats, upper body pull (such as pullups or chins) and upper body push (pushups, bench, dips, shoulder press) each time. I alternate between high reps and low reps on each lift each time as my form of periodization. By the way, I could never do pullups growing up and now do them regularly and love 'em! Now, I want to climb my first rope and do handstand push ups!:biggrin:

So, I'm sorry for the long post but I wanted to get all that out there so, if people wanted to provide advice, they'd kind of know where I stand currently. Oh, 6'3", 205 lbs and 15% BF, as measured by a PhD kinesiologist (fwiw) last month.

I'm really excited to be a part of this community and I will try to be more succinct in the future!
Old 07-17-2005, 04:26 PM   #2
Jeremy Bloniasz

Profile:
Welcome aboard, I hope I'm in as good of shape when I'm your age. Again, Welcome.

Jeremy
Old 07-17-2005, 04:31 PM   #3
Brad Smith

Profile:
You talking to me or Jack? :wink:
Old 07-17-2005, 07:35 PM   #4
Pat Janes

Profile:

Welcome to CF, Brad.

You've done a great job so far; and you'll go even further with CF and the WOD, I promise you that.

I was doing a mixture of weight training and HIIT before I started the WOD and considered myself pretty fit. I was, compared to the general population, but the WOD well and truly kicked my A$$. Still does, sometimes, but in a good way... :happy:

You're diet looks great, too.
Old 07-18-2005, 02:29 AM   #5
Dan Silver

Profile:

Welcome. There's still time to save yourself a bunch of frustration by turning back.

Keep that in mind.

-D.
Old 07-18-2005, 07:12 AM   #6
Brad Smith

Profile:
Frustration? I'm always looking for "exercise opportunities!" :wink:

I know I'll suck at this for a while - right now I've got a pulled muscle in my back from LAST MONDAY'S pullups so I doubt I'll do well with Fran (?) today - but I'm excited about all the new possibilities.
Old 07-18-2005, 07:45 AM   #7
Jeff Martin

Profile:
Brad,
Welcome. By the way, that was Dan being encouraging. Must have caught him on a good day.
Old 07-18-2005, 08:14 AM   #8
David Wood

Profile:

Brad, let me add my welcome. Also, don't apologize for a "lengthy" post; no post is too long if it has something to say.
Old 07-18-2005, 10:37 AM   #9
Graham Tidey

Profile:
"Welcome aboard, I hope I'm in as good of shape when I'm your age. Again, Welcome"

You can see from Jeremy's profile pic that he still has a long way to go before he's your age, Brad.

But boy can he cranck out a decent FGB score.
Old 07-18-2005, 10:57 AM   #10
Jeremy Bloniasz

Profile:
Thats my don't mess with me face. Now, you got a problem buddy?:wink:

Jeremy