CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 04-23-2012, 08:52 AM   #31
Chris Mason

Profile:
Re: rich froning jr's diet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan Peikon View Post
Chris, what do you think about paleo as a base diet but adding in things like sweet potatoes, white potatoes, and white rice for carbs as well as supplementing with a post workout shake.

i realize/ have experienced that paleo (strict) sucks for performance, but i feel like adding in non-paleo but still unprocessed foods works just as well for performance/ still gets the job done for good body comp/health.
That would certainly work fine in my opinion. The interesting point is then you are not really Paleo anymore, right?
Old 04-23-2012, 09:02 AM   #32
Adam Kryskow

Profile:

Chris Mason- I've read your posts and appreciate the thought you tend to put into things. What do you think is the perfect performance diet? In general terms, obviously as individuals require refinement.
Old 04-23-2012, 09:13 AM   #33
Evan Peikon

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Mason View Post
That would certainly work fine in my opinion. The interesting point is then you are not really Paleo anymore, right?
Good Point. I like to think of it as ''Paleo with Privileges.'' I basically use the paleo idea off avoiding grains, legumes, and dairy (aside from PWO whey), and all processed foods.
But instead of regular paleo which doesn't have enough carbs i supplements with Starches, Roots, and tubers.

Its actually what crossfit football recommends on their nutrition section of their site. I believe they call it the paleo diet for power athletes.

T-nation also recently made an article called ''the simple diet'' where they discuss essentially the same thing. And I've also seen matt lalonde and Robb wolf say the same thing too
Old 04-23-2012, 09:14 AM   #34
Evan Peikon

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Kryskow View Post
Chris Mason- I've read your posts and appreciate the thought you tend to put into things. What do you think is the perfect performance diet? In general terms, obviously as individuals require refinement.
I know that was intended for Chris but see my post right below yours. Its worked very well for myself and people i train with and it might be a good place for you to start/ consider.
Old 04-23-2012, 09:39 AM   #35
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Chris, what do you think about paleo as a base diet but adding in things like sweet potatoes, white potatoes, and white rice for carbs as well as supplementing with a post workout shake.

i realize/ have experienced that paleo (strict) sucks for performance, but i feel like adding in non-paleo but still unprocessed foods works just as well for performance/ still gets the job done for good body comp/health.
At what point do you no longer call it paleo?

No one is arguing that highly processed foods are necessary or even desirable for athletes.

Katherine
Old 04-23-2012, 09:42 AM   #36
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Good Point. I like to think of it as ''Paleo with Privileges.'' I basically use the paleo idea off avoiding grains, legumes, and dairy (aside from PWO whey), and all processed foods.
But instead of regular paleo which doesn't have enough carbs i supplements with Starches, Roots, and tubers.
Paleo man ate all the tubers he could find. The exclusion of tubers from "paleo" diets has always had more to do with the (supposed) evils of starch than with actual research into paleolithic diets.

Katherine
Old 04-23-2012, 10:08 AM   #37
James Orr

Profile:

After the CrossFit Journal published some interviews with John Berardi last summer, I hopped on the waiting list for his Lean Eating program, started in January, and so far it's been an incredible experience. I've read most of the books that are popular in our circle, did my Master's thesis on nutrition and cognitive function last year, and this program has by and large been the most educationally significant experience I've had with nutrition.

Check out this interview he did for the journal. It touches on his thoughts on the paleo approach: http://journal.crossfit.com/2011/06/...hn-berardi.tpl (WFS)

And the full transcript for those without a journal membership: http://www.precisionnutrition.com/berardi-interview (WFS)

Some highlights:

Quote:
As new research comes to light, weíre realizing that the reason we used to think our Paleolithic ancestors only ate meats, fats, and fruits/nuts/seeds they could forage is because thatís all we could find in the fossil records.

However, I have a few good friends who are field archaeologists. Meaning itís their job to actually go out and collect fossil records in Africa, Asia, and the Middle East.

Interestingly, new digs Ė and new scientific techniques Ė are finding that in some ancient cultures, unrefined, wild grains were actually part of their diet. As are a host of tubers and wild potatoes.
Quote:
In the end, Iím not sharing any of this to confuse people. Rather, itís to point out that nutrition plans should always be a starting point for further experimentation. Not rigid, immutable guidelines.

Of course, if youíre new to all this, you need some guidelines to work from. To put you on the right track. But after that, your best bet is to adopt the adventurous attitude of a physiological pioneer. To boldly experiment and tweak until you find what works for you.

Thatís what my whole nutrition philosophy is about. And sometimes, a few unprocessed grains and chickpeas make for a great experiment.
Another great thread from Precision Nutrition that looks at the supposed toxicity and anti-nutrients of grains and legumes: http://www.precisionnutrition.com/me...ad.php?t=34457 (WFS)

Basically, if John Berardi has 1/4 cup of legumes with most meals, I'm going to experiment to see how it works for me.
Old 04-23-2012, 10:31 AM   #38
Dimitri Dziabenko

Profile:

Meh, Berardi in my (short) experience has always seemed more a marketer than anything else. Something new comes along, he capitalizes on it (see his recent IF "experiment").

Most of his stuff goes away after a while and he does something new:
-Whatever happened to Massive Eating?
-Whatever happened to The Don't Diet, Diet?
-Whatever happened to The Seven Habits of Nutrition?
(One of the habits was eat every 2-3 hours)

More:
- Biotest Surge
- Precision Nutrition
- G-flux

I've stopped listening to him a while back.
Old 04-23-2012, 10:45 AM   #39
Evan Peikon

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
At what point do you no longer call it paleo?

No one is arguing that highly processed foods are necessary or even desirable for athletes.

Katherine
Quote:
Paleo man ate all the tubers he could find. The exclusion of tubers from "paleo" diets has always had more to do with the (supposed) evils of starch than with actual research into paleolithic diets.

Katherine
Honestly i don't know how to answer the initial question. My best bet would be to say that the ''paleo diet'' in and of itself is more of an ideology being that all the different paleo gurus pitch slightly different things/ say you can/can't eat this or that.
so more or less what I'm getting at is that a lot of people people are carb-phobics to an extent and are eating in a manner that would be good for sedentary people. But, paleo in and of itself can intact be higher carb, and if one wished to eat a performance based paleo diet they will have to include foods that are not necessarily good for everyone.
Matt Lalonde also says that eating/ not eating something because a caveman did/ didn't is bad science and just plain illogical. (aside)
Old 04-23-2012, 11:06 AM   #40
Adam Fisk

Profile:

Quote:

Katherine
QFT.

Cavemen were most certainly not avoiding tubers and legumes.

If it doesn't go through a factory then it goes on your plate. But with modern societies infrostructure it can be hard to avoid things like milk, nut butters, oils etc.

Also, if everyone could look and perform like Froning with the majority based on their diet, then everyone (that wants to) would be following it.

Find out what works well with your body that gives you the energy and performance you need.