CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 04-24-2012, 03:48 PM   #1
Matthew Panos

Profile:
Stuck on Fat

I'm am a avid CrossFitter and want to get a lot better in the way of performace plus Im new to Paleo. I'm not sure If have a handle on the fats but need to make sure. No offence but I would appreciate advice from experienced people.
Fish oil should be 2-4 grams per day
Lineoleic should be avoided
Polys 2-3 tbsp per day unless I need more energy??
Question, are nut butters are good sources of fats (i.e homemade almond butter no additives)?
Can't afford grass fed so other sources of high omega 3/low O6 besides fish oil?

Thank you very much

Matt
Old 04-24-2012, 05:20 PM   #2
Rebecca Roth

Profile:
Re: Stuck on Fat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Panos View Post
Question, are nut butters are good sources of fats (i.e homemade almond butter no additives)?
Matt
You shouldn't be micromanging fats, because the bulk of your calories should be coming from fats. Nut butters (and nuts) shouldn't be a big part of your diet, really not more than a couple handfuls, because they are very high in O6 fats. You want coconut products, avocados, and animal fats primarily. If you don't have money for a ton of grassfed beef, stick with wild caught fish, its fairly easy to get and not too expensive. Grassfed ground beef can be got for not too expensive as well, so I'd get enough red meat for at least one meal a week. Other than that, EGGS and lots of em, they're cheap, full of healthy fats and protein.
Old 04-25-2012, 10:47 AM   #3
Joey Shishineh

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebecca Roth View Post
You shouldn't be micromanging fats, because the bulk of your calories should be coming from fats. Nut butters (and nuts) shouldn't be a big part of your diet, really not more than a couple handfuls, because they are very high in O6 fats. You want coconut products, avocados, and animal fats primarily. If you don't have money for a ton of grassfed beef, stick with wild caught fish, its fairly easy to get and not too expensive. Grassfed ground beef can be got for not too expensive as well, so I'd get enough red meat for at least one meal a week. Other than that, EGGS and lots of em, they're cheap, full of healthy fats and protein.
x2 on coconut milk, eggs, and avocados
+bacon
Old 04-25-2012, 10:59 AM   #4
Dimitri Dziabenko

Profile:

If you eat a moderate fat (25% or so of total intake) diet from healthy sources, consume your fish oil, you should be fine.

If you eat 65% fat, try to keep down the saturated fat (not a terribly useful way to think about it, since there are different types of saturated fat, but whatever). That's about it. The omega 6 will probably not be a problem unless you consume a lot of processed, fatty food. In which case, don't.
Old 04-25-2012, 08:40 PM   #5
Matthew Panos

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Shishineh View Post
x2 on coconut milk, eggs, and avocados
+bacon
I'm trying to stick to the Paleo Solution, and the book says to stay away from bacon, how often do u eat bacon?
Old 04-25-2012, 08:42 PM   #6
Matthew Panos

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebecca Roth View Post
Being new to this I thought I was supposed to stick to lean protein. Please feel free to correct me.
Old 04-25-2012, 08:49 PM   #7
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Fats in wild-caught fish, grassfed beef, and pastured eggs tend to be much better for you than fats from farmed fish or CAFO beef/chickens. Don't worry about lean protein if the fats are from good sources.
Old 04-26-2012, 04:49 AM   #8
Graeme Moore

Profile:

Quote:
I'm trying to stick to the Paleo Solution, and the book says to stay away from bacon, how often do u eat bacon?
I think the issue with bacon is the sodium nitrites used to preserve your typical supermarket bacon. When heated i.e. through cooking, the nitrites have been proven to become severely carcinogenic - think bowel/colon cancer.

Fresh bacon from your local butcher is less likely to be preserved, but you'll need to ask. A good tip is to look for a browny colour in it. Not rancid though, that's a different brown. The 'perfect' pinky red bacon is an indicator that it's been preserved with some funky sh*t.
Old 04-26-2012, 01:05 PM   #9
Joey Shishineh

Profile:

Quote:
Only on the weekends when I have time to cook a good breakfast. Otherwise breakfast consists of hard boiled eggs and sweet potatoes.
Old 04-27-2012, 05:54 AM   #10
Jenni Hartman

Profile:

In the US, both Whole Foods and Trader Joe's have nitrite-free bacon.

I get most of my fats from avocados, eggs, coconut oil, coconut milk. I have a limited budget so I don't eat a ton of red meat. Also do flaxseed oil. Started to limit my nut/nut butter consumption as I was gaining weight. I'm actually losing weight the more "good" fat I eat.