CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 07-07-2012, 04:47 PM   #501
Chad Smith

Profile:
Re: Gslp

A bit off topic but I was wondering....are squats and deadlifts two of the most beneficial exercises for building strength? Now that I'm back home from training with the Army I don't have free access to a gym anymore so I'm looking into joining one down the street from where I live. We have workout equipment at home but our floors are tile so I can't deadlift and all we have for squats is a Smith Machine which I refuse to use since it's really bad for your knees. My dad told me just using machines (like the leg extension and preacher curl, we also have some dumbells) will still get me strong but I still want to do GSLP as I feel it will be more beneficial to me.
Old 07-07-2012, 05:10 PM   #502
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Yes, squats and deadlifts are two of the best exercises for getting strong. No, there is no comparison between doing squats and deadlifts vs. doing leg extensions and preacher curls. Machines inherently suck when it comes to building real strength. Smith machines are also terrible but it has nothing to do with them being bad for their knees...it's because they keep you from having to work to stabilize the bar on your own.

You don't need to join a CF gym to do a program like GSLP--you can get it done anywhere that has a squat rack and a bench. However, based on some of the questions you just posted, I'd venture a guess that you'd benefit quite a bit from finding a coach who can teach you to squat, deadlift, bench, press, and power clean correctly.
Old 07-07-2012, 05:47 PM   #503
Chad Smith

Profile:

Thanks for the quick answer.

I'm already a member of a Crossfit gym, I've been going since March and I really like it, I just feel that gaining a more solid base level of strength would be very beneficial to me in the long run (especially since I'd like to compete one day) I can't go to my CF box and do my own thing so I have to look into joining a local globo gym as well.
Old 07-07-2012, 08:17 PM   #504
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Ask your coaches if they're ok with you following your own strength program rather than doing the normal group classes. Explain to them your reasons for wanting to get stronger and they should be willing to work with you.
Old 07-08-2012, 08:01 AM   #505
Tim Donahey

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan Forbes View Post
There's millions of plugins mentioned in the book.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
Neck work isn't necessary at all, and you only need to replace it with something if that something else fits your goals. But yeah, something like heavy farmers walks makes for a good finisher, and heavy DB rows for sets of 20-30 will do good things for your grip while also helping to improve your upper back shelf for squats.
Thanks for the replies! I have bought the e-book, but haven't read it yet.

Less than a year ago I had a 180# Press, 400# Squat, and 500# Dead. In September I tore my labrum after dislocating my left shoulder and - between the injury and the post-surgery rehab - I did no lifting for about 7 months.

About seven weeks ago I began a *mostly* normal strength routine again (with some machines), based on 3x5 progressive resistance. Once I reset on that I'd like to start incorporating GSLP.

The following is off topic, so feel free to skip.

Actually, I'm not going to post this here after all... so as not to hijack, but if you're interested to see what I've been doing you can follow the link.

Here's what I've been doing the last 7 weeks. Done 2-3x/week it looks something like: (SFW) http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=76492
Old 07-08-2012, 08:48 AM   #506
Joe Bernard

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Donahey View Post
Thanks for the replies! I have bought the e-book, but haven't read it yet.

Less than a year ago I had a 180# Press, 400# Squat, and 500# Dead. In September I tore my labrum after dislocating my left shoulder and - between the injury and the post-surgery rehab - I did no lifting for about 7 months.

About seven weeks ago I began a *mostly* normal strength routine again (with some machines), based on 3x5 progressive resistance. Once I reset on that I'd like to start incorporating GSLP.

The following is off topic, so feel free to skip.

Actually, I'm not going to post this here after all... so as not to hijack, but if you're interested to see what I've been doing you can follow the link.

Here's what I've been doing the last 7 weeks. Done 2-3x/week it looks something like: (SFW) http://board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=76492
Why are you doing chest press with a machine? Wouldn't doing dumbbell bench press with light weights be more beneficial since machines have a set movement path and do not allow people to use their natural ROM? I'm rehabbing a strained pec and my PT recommended light dumbbell work and slowly up the weight, saying that machines are not good for this and that using dumbbells allows the stabilizer muscles to fire better. Just curious...
Old 07-08-2012, 12:19 PM   #507
Tim Donahey

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Bernard View Post
Why are you doing chest press with a machine? Wouldn't doing dumbbell bench press with light weights be more beneficial since machines have a set movement path and do not allow people to use their natural ROM? I'm rehabbing a strained pec and my PT recommended light dumbbell work and slowly up the weight, saying that machines are not good for this and that using dumbbells allows the stabilizer muscles to fire better. Just curious...
Actually, its *because* it forces me through a ROM that I have difficulty attaining without the set movement. It stretches me out. I'm going to reset and switch to a barbell soon.
Old 07-08-2012, 07:31 PM   #508
Chad Smith

Profile:

Quote:
Ask your coaches if they're ok with you following your own strength program rather than doing the normal group classes. Explain to them your reasons for wanting to get stronger and they should be willing to work with you.
I already tried that and I was told that was impossible due to the coach's schedule.
Old 07-08-2012, 10:32 PM   #509
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Then I would suggest taking a break from your CF gym so you can go somewhere you can do a program that fits your current goals. You don't need any fancy equipment for GSLP, just a squat rack and a bench...you can probably get a membership at a gym with those things for $20-30 a month, which is probably less than 25% of what you're paying at a CF gym. Then go back to the CF gym when you're ready to start doing CF again.
Old 07-09-2012, 06:49 AM   #510
Andrew Bell

Profile:

Quote:
Then I would suggest taking a break from your CF gym so you can go somewhere you can do a program that fits your current goals. You don't need any fancy equipment for GSLP, just a squat rack and a bench...you can probably get a membership at a gym with those things for $20-30 a month, which is probably less than 25% of what you're paying at a CF gym. Then go back to the CF gym when you're ready to start doing CF again.
I agree with this. My 24Hour membership is all I need to do this program. I bought a neck harness not too long ago so I can do those at home (I don't like taking equipment to gyms).