CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Testimonials
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Testimonials CrossFit's successes / your achievements

Old 01-26-2011, 01:19 PM   #1
Rob A Grant

Profile:
Caught a Car Burgerly suspect. All thanks to CrossFit

This past sunday morning. I was peeking out my backyard towards my sister's mini-horsefarm. She is a horse trainer and she was giving lessons that morning. There is a lot below her ring where her friends and pupils park and store equipment. Now for the past year she has been suffering a lot of vandalism of equipment and tractors, etc. I saw two teenagers (or punks as they will be referred to from now on) hovering and just looking suspicious standing next to one of her friend's cars. I went back inside to grab some binoculars. I looked again it it appeared to me that these punks were using a stick or something to jimmy the door. So, I went back inside again to grab the phone. Back outside. I see there were already inside the car and ransacking it. I called my sister's husband and he said he would talk to the car's owner. Well, I thought if they see them running down the hill they could take off and not be caught. So I went and put on some pants (always a good thing) and some shoes. I drove down there. They were both inside the car as I parked behind it just incase they tried to drive off with it. I confronted them. By this time there were about 5 people watching them ransack the car. The owner was coming down the hill to look at the car. I saw that the sunroof was smashed and the glove box was pried open. The car was completely trashed. Both kids had the audacity to say that they didnt break into the car. Now, I had to have spent over 5 minutes watching them ransack that car. When the owner and I said that we were going to call the sheriff and let them explain how they didnt break into the car. One of the kids bolted. Now this is where my Crossfit training came into play. The kid had a good 150ft lead on me. I had to jump down two four foot embankments over two 3ft wide culverts and then run on very loose gravel. The kid then started running up a road that went uphill. The kid was fast. I was'nt but I was fit. I ran as fast as I could. The kid was cocky, saying things like you can't catch me or your too slow. Every few seconds he would snicker as he turned around to look at me. As we made a left turn up a uphill road we ran into 30 to 40mph wind gusts. It made me feel like I was only walking. I thought to myself that I was just going to pace him and wear him out. After a while when he was looking back at me. He noticed that I wasnt giving up and in fact gaining on him but very slowely. His cockyness soon left him as I was 30ft then 20ft behind him. Every time he looked back he squealed in horror and that only made me run faster. Until, I was about 4 to 5ft behind him. He then ducked into an open garage where he tried to convince some people that I was trying to get him. I explained that he broke into a car and then ran when we said we would call the sheriff. The sheriff came took away both kids in hand cuffs. Some neighbors said that they have felt that someone has been casing their homes. They were wondering if it was one or both of those kids. Anways. Crossfit allowed this 42yr old fart outlast and catch this suspect after a full sprint uphill,a gainst the wind that lasted over 1/4 mile! If that isnt a real world application of Crossfit training nothing is. The deputies were impressed with the chase distance and the obstacle course.

Thanks Crossfit and Crossfit FAST (my gym)
Old 01-26-2011, 02:11 PM   #2
Rob A Grant

Profile:
Re: Caught a Car Burgerly suspect. All thanks to CrossFit

oops, as you can see Crossfit didnt help my spelling much. I meant to type, Burglary and not burgerly.
Old 01-26-2011, 02:17 PM   #3
Lionel Garcia

Profile:
Thumbs up Re: Caught a Car Burgerly suspect. All thanks to CrossFit

Sweet story. One 4 the grandkids someday.
Old 01-26-2011, 02:38 PM   #4
Brian Kellogg

Profile:

Freekin' Awesome!
Old 01-26-2011, 02:58 PM   #5
Colin McLafferty

Profile:

Great job Rob! Talk about functional haha! It's no surprise that other people noticed some bad people lurking around the town too, you were just in a position to do something about it. Great job again.
Old 01-26-2011, 03:46 PM   #6
Shannon Mullens

Profile:

That's just awesome. haha. One of my favorite testimonials ever.
Old 01-26-2011, 03:58 PM   #7
Douglas Menikheim

Profile:

Great story!!! Just watch yourself next time, who knows what some kid might do. No need to get into a physical altercation.
Old 01-26-2011, 04:05 PM   #8
Leigh Stepanian

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob A Grant View Post
This past sunday morning. I was peeking out my backyard towards my sister's mini-horsefarm. She is a horse trainer and she was giving lessons that morning. There is a lot below her ring where her friends and pupils park and store equipment. Now for the past year she has been suffering a lot of vandalism of equipment and tractors, etc. I saw two teenagers (or punks as they will be referred to from now on) hovering and just looking suspicious standing next to one of her friend's cars. I went back inside to grab some binoculars. I looked again it it appeared to me that these punks were using a stick or something to jimmy the door. So, I went back inside again to grab the phone. Back outside. I see there were already inside the car and ransacking it. I called my sister's husband and he said he would talk to the car's owner. Well, I thought if they see them running down the hill they could take off and not be caught. So I went and put on some pants (always a good thing) and some shoes. I drove down there. They were both inside the car as I parked behind it just incase they tried to drive off with it. I confronted them. By this time there were about 5 people watching them ransack the car. The owner was coming down the hill to look at the car. I saw that the sunroof was smashed and the glove box was pried open. The car was completely trashed. Both kids had the audacity to say that they didnt break into the car. Now, I had to have spent over 5 minutes watching them ransack that car. When the owner and I said that we were going to call the sheriff and let them explain how they didnt break into the car. One of the kids bolted. Now this is where my Crossfit training came into play. The kid had a good 150ft lead on me. I had to jump down two four foot embankments over two 3ft wide culverts and then run on very loose gravel. The kid then started running up a road that went uphill. The kid was fast. I was'nt but I was fit. I ran as fast as I could. The kid was cocky, saying things like you can't catch me or your too slow. Every few seconds he would snicker as he turned around to look at me. As we made a left turn up a uphill road we ran into 30 to 40mph wind gusts. It made me feel like I was only walking. I thought to myself that I was just going to pace him and wear him out. After a while when he was looking back at me. He noticed that I wasnt giving up and in fact gaining on him but very slowely. His cockyness soon left him as I was 30ft then 20ft behind him. Every time he looked back he squealed in horror and that only made me run faster. Until, I was about 4 to 5ft behind him. He then ducked into an open garage where he tried to convince some people that I was trying to get him. I explained that he broke into a car and then ran when we said we would call the sheriff. The sheriff came took away both kids in hand cuffs. Some neighbors said that they have felt that someone has been casing their homes. They were wondering if it was one or both of those kids. Anways. Crossfit allowed this 42yr old fart outlast and catch this suspect after a full sprint uphill,a gainst the wind that lasted over 1/4 mile! If that isnt a real world application of Crossfit training nothing is. The deputies were impressed with the chase distance and the obstacle course.

Thanks Crossfit and Crossfit FAST (my gym)
loving it! hahaha, get em!
Old 01-26-2011, 05:11 PM   #9
Rob A Grant

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Menikheim View Post
Great story!!! Just watch yourself next time, who knows what some kid might do. No need to get into a physical altercation.
your right, but I'm also 6'9". Just the mere fact that I was able to catch him with my size 17 feet and all of that extra wind resistance I get to enjoy........really was surprising. But, your right, I thouroughly scoped that kid out to make sure he was'nt carrying any sort of weapon. Hard to carry a knife or gun in emo jeans without noticing. I would'nt have gone after him if I thought he was packing.
Old 01-28-2011, 07:49 AM   #10
Dave Hancock

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob A Grant View Post
your right, but I'm also 6'9". Just the mere fact that I was able to catch him with my size 17 feet and all of that extra wind resistance I get to enjoy........really was surprising. But, your right, I thouroughly scoped that kid out to make sure he was'nt carrying any sort of weapon. Hard to carry a knife or gun in emo jeans without noticing. I would'nt have gone after him if I thought he was packing.
Not sure if emo jeans mean those skinny, tight, tight jeans, but if so, I'm surprised he didn't fly away in the breeze.