CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 03-06-2008, 08:26 AM   #1
Gene Chun

Profile:
What do you guys think?

I've decided to pull the trigger - I'm starting out on opening up an indoor obstacle course.

What do you guys think? Would you join as a member if your were local or would you at least visit a couple of times?

Please take a look at my blog at http://metcon1.blogspot.com and let me know. I've recently added quite a bit of information including a 3D animation of the proposed course.

I wanted to incorporate a CrossFit gym, however, the competition around here (Ashburn, VA) is absolutely fierce (2 CF gyms very close by, maybe a total of 7 or 8 within a 40 mile radius). So unfortunately, I will not be offering CF classes.

I'm pretty anxious here, hopefully the obstacle idea will take flight.
Old 03-06-2008, 09:12 AM   #2
Jeremy Stecker

Profile:
Re: What do you guys think?

That looks like a lot of fun. I would love to give it a whirl.

One thing I wonder about, is that an obstacle seems like it would be more of a 'sport' type of thing - which is good but it's at the top of the hierarchy of development. Personally, I think that teaching the crossfit principals and having them work on nutrition, metcon, gymnastics, weightlifting and throwing (i.e crossfit)-- all with the goal of improving in their sport and being able to do the obstacle courses faster would be better. (see october 2002 CFJ and Nicole talks about it in last months CFJ)

I also wonder if you're selling yourself a bit short by deciding not to teach crossfit. Theres plenty of people in your town to be able to compete with the other facilities. Same might say that having them there is better than being by yourself in a town without any competition and nobodys heard of crossfit.

Plus, you've got a hook to get them there. Looks like fun!
Old 03-06-2008, 09:29 AM   #3
Jeremy Stecker

Profile:

Just had a look thru your website and watched all the videos. Thats pretty awesome man. You're going to be building quite some beasts in there.

Good luck!
Old 03-06-2008, 09:56 AM   #4
Roger Harrell

Profile:

I would definitely visit periodically. I'm not sure it's something I would visit daily unless there were other activities/training. It's more of something I'd use as a test or just for fun. Great idea though.
Old 03-06-2008, 01:55 PM   #5
Leah Turner

Profile:

Looks cool. Very unique. I would give it a shot at least once. I don't think I would go a lot b/c I'm not naturally good at such things.

I would also agree w/ others though, that you should reconsider offering crossfit perhaps. While I would also be concerned about all the other nearby affiliates, each one has their own personality. And while some ppl find their home at one affiliate, I may really not enjoy that community and like affiliate #2 a lot. Hence, you may get some ppl that have started with crossfit, but want a different community, atmosphere, etc. and you may just be that place for some people. The main obstacle aspect would be the most unique aspect of your crossfit, and your crossfitters would have a similiar personality. I hope I was able to communicate this effectively.....

good luck!
Old 03-07-2008, 08:43 AM   #6
Jeff Chapman

Profile:

Not to be a naysayer, but where in the heck did you get insurance for that thing?
Old 06-23-2008, 01:08 PM   #7
Christopher E Bloom

Profile:

I'm going to disagree on the whole too many CF gyms in one area. In general, people will travel 2 miles out of their way for a service such as a gym. When it comes to a specialty service, people will travel up to 7 miles out of thweir way. This means that another CF Box (as long as it is not actoss the street from another one) will only strengthen existing locations by enabling more people to get there. I'd definately approach other owners and let them know what you are doing so you aren't stabbing them in the back. Also by opening up the lines of communication, you coule get a lot of lessons learned. I see that as long as you don't recruit members away from existing boxes, it will strengthen the community. Also if you welcome current members from other local boxes and are open to their feedback, they will help you improve once you are open. Also, don't be afraid to refer potentila customers to other boxes that may be closer to them. This will encourage other affiliates to do the same.

I have found that this won't work in a globogym type buisness model but the CrossFit community isn't globogym. We are better than that. We are a community, not just an indipendant buisness. If you support the community, the community, the community will support you.

If you need any assistance in the area, let me know. I work up in Dull Loring and do my WoD's at CF Fairfax with Jeff and Maggie.

Regards,
Chris
Old 06-24-2008, 05:46 AM   #8
Camille Lore

Profile:  

Oh yeah! I'll be visiting when I see my family in Winchester, VA!!!
Btw.. wouldn't the parkour community be interested as well?

Last edited by Camille Lore : 06-24-2008 at 05:58 AM.
Old 06-24-2008, 09:05 AM   #9
Robin Marling

Profile:

Did you actually open? I went to the link posted and your blog hasn't been updated since March. I would make the drive on the weekend to play around if you were open/posted your address anywhere.