CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 08-10-2015, 05:33 PM   #1
Nada Hassan

Profile:
full body rehabilitation program?

I have been really abusing my body and over training like crazy. I know several people told me before but its just like im addicted to training. I really cant get enough and enjoy doing it but apparently my body didnt feel the same and now I hurt all over. Went to several "therapists" and they all say its just tightness. But no treatment has worked I really think its tendinitis fron the descriptions iv been reading. Both my shoulders and elbows really hurt and right above my left knee all pretty similar pain. I havr finally decided to takr a break from training because I dont want to end up with irreversible injuries that limit my daily activities as well as I want to get back to full training as iv been limited from my injuries.

I dont mind how long it will take even if its for likr 6 months as long as I get better and am at 100% again now finally to my question ; I want afull body rehabilitation program that would fully recover me all over so not just knee rehab or shoulder rehab. Just rehab ib general. Are there programs out there like that as I wasnt able to find much.

Would like to gain full range of motion everywhere as well as strengthen weak muscles like rotator cuff muscles and such and just recover from all injuries and basically be close to 100% as possible.

Sorry for the long rant
Old 08-10-2015, 06:48 PM   #2
Shawn M Wilson

Profile:
Re: full body rehabilitation program?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nada Hassan View Post
I have been really abusing my body and over training like crazy. I know several people told me before but its just like im addicted to training. I really cant get enough and enjoy doing it but apparently my body didnt feel the same and now I hurt all over. Went to several "therapists" and they all say its just tightness. But no treatment has worked I really think its tendinitis fron the descriptions iv been reading. Both my shoulders and elbows really hurt and right above my left knee all pretty similar pain. I havr finally decided to takr a break from training because I dont want to end up with irreversible injuries that limit my daily activities as well as I want to get back to full training as iv been limited from my injuries.

I dont mind how long it will take even if its for likr 6 months as long as I get better and am at 100% again now finally to my question ; I want afull body rehabilitation program that would fully recover me all over so not just knee rehab or shoulder rehab. Just rehab ib general. Are there programs out there like that as I wasnt able to find much.

Would like to gain full range of motion everywhere as well as strengthen weak muscles like rotator cuff muscles and such and just recover from all injuries and basically be close to 100% as possible.

Sorry for the long rant
When you say you have been overtraining what did you actually do?

It will be hard to give any real advice not knowing what was done.

Mobility work (look up mobility WOD ) could be a great source for easy things to do that will help with mobility. Completely laying off everything but that wouldn't be the greatest idea IMHO but without knowing more it's hard to give any real advice.

Some low low weight with 3x15 reps or something can do wonders for helping recover.

IE. Your max bench is 300. Then doing 3x15 with way 115 or 135 would be great for working that full range of motion. Doing ever rep correctly and not putting tons of strain on the shoulder or ligaments.
Old 08-11-2015, 05:25 AM   #3
Miles Roberts

Profile:

Eat, sleep, massage, yoga, swim, netflix, mobility work, eat, and sleep.
Old 08-11-2015, 07:57 AM   #4
Brendan McNamar

Profile:

How bad is it? Can you sleep through the night?

Google over training and see how many of the symptoms you have.

Report back.
Old 08-11-2015, 09:51 AM   #5
Nada Hassan

Profile:

i think its more of what i didnt do :/ i was following the cfne programming as well as doing extre stuff like running and just wanting to train all the time . I wasnt really taking rest days or applying any recovery techniques such as ice baths or contrast showers. I was doing minimal mobility and streching i was pretty careless i have to say. i pushed through injuries and trained through pain :S i was alwayys really tight but i always just pushed myself

as for symptoms
i am fatigued all the time
always sleepy which ties to the above
but cant really sleep(insomnia) 2hich is crazy bec of both the above
i think i get sick alot (normal cold)
muscle sorness that doesnt seem to want to go away
muscle knots
injury prone through the roof(suddenly all my joints hurt and i think its tendinits)

amazingly though my numbers are still progressing pretty well ??

so its pretty bad and im really ashamed i let it go this far but im willing to give it all the time it needs to recover
Old 08-11-2015, 10:52 AM   #6
Philipp Lendner

Profile:

Well, looking through some of your old posts, I have to admit I am not surprised. How did your actual schedule look like?

However, I think there is something good about it. You went all the way to this dark place called overtraining, realised what you did and decided to get back out of it. This (the last two steps) is something many people are not capable of. You learned your lesson. Get out of it, and never come back.

As for your recovery, I think Chris Mason did put an article on this board some time ago about overtraining. However, the only one I could find was this one (wfs). Hope he reads this and can tell us where to find it.
Other things I would suggest is doing a lot of MWOD stuff. This can replace some workouts. By the way, it sometimes sucks even more than actual workouts (Fran is nothing compared to a banded Couch Stretch with the front foot on a 20 kg plate)

Something else I can suggest is to follow the program Pavel Tsatsouline described in his book "Super Joints". Get a copy. Do not overdo it at first. I personally do one of those programs every morning for 30 min while watching the Daily MWOD and a news show. I break a sweat, but it will not bother me for the rest of the day.
Old 08-11-2015, 03:34 PM   #7
Luke Sirakos

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason A Smith View Post
You are 18. You are not over trained, I doubt that is possible. When I was that age I could train for hours on end at my sport, play 3 hours of basketball, drink until 3 am and do it all again the next day.

If your numbers are going up, carry on and enjoy this. It won't last forever. A 6 month full body rehab is a waste of time.
If she had tendinitis then she needs to take care of that now before it gets worse. Chronic tendinitis is incredibly difficult to heal and can be a major setback. I'm not saying she does or doesn't have it but it's not something to simply gloss over because she is young.
Old 08-11-2015, 03:40 PM   #8
Jason A Smith

Profile:

You are 18. You are not over trained, I doubt that is possible. When I was that age I could train for hours on end at my sport, play 3 hours of basketball, drink until 3 am and do it all again the next day.

If your numbers are going up, carry on and enjoy this. It won't last forever. A 6 month full body rehab is a waste of time.
Old 08-12-2015, 08:28 AM   #9
Brendan McNamar

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason A Smith View Post

Wrong! You have all the classic symptoms of true over training. Being 18 is what allowed you to go hard enough, long enough to get in this condition. The only other time I have truly seen it was in a 21 year old who was doing 2 a days + long runs. He had the same symptoms.

First you have to get your body out of the over trained condition. Stop all training activities. A little movement is fine. Swimming, walking and yoga. All low impact. Eat clean and balanced meals. Your body needs fuel to repair the damage you have done. Sleep 8 or more hours a night. This may take some time to accomplish. It will also be one of the best signs you are recovering. When you can sleep 8 or more hours without waking up for a week straight then you can begin training again. The aches and pains should go away. Anything that doesn't clear up might be a true injury. Continue to rest the body part in question and seek medical help if it doesn't improve.

I wouldn't be surprised if you could accomplish this in as little as 3 to 6 weeks. Again that 18 year old body that got you in trouble can also fix itself quickly if you give it a chance.

The good news is if you were making gains while over trained you can make even better gains if you give your body the recovery it needs. Training is simply stress and recovery. Have to have both.

CFNE Competitor Program is fine with no extra work, good nutrition, mobility work, sleep and taking the scheduled rest days.
Old 08-12-2015, 12:13 PM   #10
Nada Hassan

Profile:

Thank you all for your input !! I know i screwed up but you learn from making mistakes I guess . Training truly is my drug though
After research and your suggestions I have decided to do the following :

1-take complete rest from high impact training and even any lot impact which causes discomfort and pain
2- start doing yoga and loosening everything up
3- work on rotator cuff exercises
4- take a joint supplement to repair my joints and collagen
5- sleep more often
6- eat at mantainence(was eating at a defect)
7- ice baths and ice packs
8- massage when I could afford it

I'll do this until I feel I'm 100% ready and injury free