CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 04-29-2010, 07:40 AM   #1
Brad Butler

Profile:
5K training and CFFB

Hi everyone,

Well I just signed up for my first 5k race and was hoping to get some feedback on how to train for it alongside my current program. The 5K is in roughly 10 weeks, so I need to go from little or no distance running currently, to hopefully a decent 5K time by then.

Iím currently doing CFFB 3-4x a week. This program is pretty tough, and has got me right on the edge of getting enough recovery as it is now. Iím obviously concerned about throwing a bunch of running into the mix, as that will probably push me over the edge and not allow me enough recovery.

Since this is my first 5k, Iím not really sure how much training needs to be done. From the programs I read, most say 3-4x a week, but donít mention how to mix that up if Iím already working out. I also have never really distance ran before, so not sure how hard itís going to be on my body. I want to go for a decent 5K time, but donít want to sacrifice my current fitness/strength level doing so.

So I was thinking I can continue doing CFFB 3-4x a week, focusing primarily on the strength side of it but cut the metconís back to 2x a week. I can then start working my running in 2x a week while gradually increasing distance over time. Does this sound solid? I know that everyoneís different; I guess Iím just looking for a place to start.

Oh, one more thing, Iíve been wanting to start barefoot/POSE running, but not sure if this is the time to try and learn a new technique. Iíve been playing around with it, but havenít really covered any distance yet, and already feel my calves getting pretty sore even with the short distances. I want to learn the method properly, so not sure if 10 weeks will be enough time.

Thanks for taking the time to read, any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Old 04-29-2010, 07:47 AM   #2
Nic Kirkland

Profile:
Re: 5K training and CFFB

With 10 weeks you definitely have the time to work on Pose technique, though you'd be cutting it close on going barefoot/VFF's and being in optimal shape.

I do CFFB 5x week with supplemental running. It runs me ragged, but whenever I'm sore/tired I just eat and sleep more and that usually helps. Your plan sounds good though. You may also look at doing straight CrossFit Endurance closer to the race time (3-4 weeks out). Their programming is similar to CFFB, they have an Endurance (running) WOD each day and an "Anaerobic Endurance WOD" each day. Difference in their programming is that they advise only doing the Endurance WOD 2-3x week in addition to your metcon work.

Honestly you can probably do a 5K fine if you've been doing CFFB (or some variation of CF) for a while (more than a month or two) with a minimal amount of extra training. The above advice is if you really want to hit it hard though.
Old 04-29-2010, 08:05 AM   #3
Shane Skowron

Profile:

What's your standard for decent time? Under 24? Under 20?
Old 04-29-2010, 08:18 AM   #4
Brad Butler

Profile:

I don't know, 24:00 seems like a good goal for my first one... Not really sure what's considered good in the 5K world, this is my first one.
Old 04-29-2010, 08:31 AM   #5
Ryan Hoegner

Profile:

I'd just get used to the distance. Run a 5k once week and some interval work. A "5K" can sound sort of inimidating if you are not a runner, but at the end of the day it's only 25 minutes worth of work. A lot of our WOD's are worse
Old 04-29-2010, 08:54 PM   #6
Tim Nakashima

Profile:

I'd suggest running a 5k to see what your time is now and how you feel about it. Then depending on how much you want to improve that time for the race you could try throwing some CFE running WODs in whenever CFFB has a WOD that calls for a bunch of short sprints.

For example, on Friday 4/23, the WOD was to do 10, 20, and 30m sprints, so you could sub in a CFE running WOD, and then maybe an additional one some other day that week if there aren't any more "running" type WODs scheduled.

Tim
Old 04-30-2010, 05:43 AM   #7
Allen Tluczek

Profile:

From my experience, crossfit has been enough training for a 5k for me. My affiliate does a whole lot more running than the main page, though, but usually just in warm ups. I've never been even a remotely good runner, but a few weekends ago I logged a 23:50 5k (PR, but can't remember previous time, I just know I've never hit a 24 before) and two days ago a 6:40 mile (20 sec PR), with no extra running outside of what we do at my affiliate since I joined two months ago. I ran occationally before joining, but never "trained." I am in no way saying specific running training wouldn't help me, because I know it would, but just crossfitting has done enough for me to get a boost in my running.

Also, what Ryan said.

Last edited by Allen Tluczek; 04-30-2010 at 05:45 AM.. Reason: spelling yay
Old 04-30-2010, 08:42 AM   #8
Brad Butler

Profile:

Thanks for the advice everyone! I really don't run any kind of distance now, so I think I'm going to just try to work my way up in the next 10 weeks.

Thanks again!
Old 04-30-2010, 04:22 PM   #9
Matthew Vesey

Profile:

You have plenty of time to build the endurance for sure so no need to worry! I personally do my CFSB training and mainpage wod's while doing a 5km run in the mornings 5 out of 7 days (I personally never have issues with recovery but some do have troubles- if that is the case I would suggest running 2-3 times/week).
5km may sound like a large distance right now but in a short period of time your mindset will change for sure. In 10 weeks time depending on the effort you put forth you should easily be able to run it in under 24 minutes.

In respect to barefoot running, I started right off the bat with the same distances (Bad idea). I lasted the one run and found myself SORE the following few days after. You will want to start slow, but easily in 4-6 weeks time you can get accustomed to it.

I understand everyone is different, so what works for me might not work for other people (which is why I am offering you opinions on my personal experiences). If this was any help to you then mission success!
Have fun while training and you will reach your goals in a shorter time than you think!

-Matt
Age:24, Height: 5'10, Weight: 180, 5km Row: 17:15.3, 500m Row:1:23.6, BS: 440, DL:540, Press: 205:My Log(WFS)
Old 05-02-2010, 03:10 AM   #10
Jordan Wallace

Profile:

I remember my first 5k! I ran one 5k to get a time, then after that i began to do 1x5k a week, 1 pace run and one interval (something like 3x1k with 1-2min rest). I hope this helps.

Jordan