CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 03-25-2010, 03:03 PM   #1
Mike Gray

Profile:
6-Week Course in 400m Sprints While Shoulder Heals

Bother.

I separated my shoulder skiing, and about a month into rehab, it looks like I'm going to be stalled a while in terms of normal Crossfit. I can work my lower body and core, but anything involving upper body, rings and bars (pullups included) is going to have to wait for a while. Right now I get to do 20 girl pushups every other day ...

So, I've been thinking that this would be the perfect time to work on my foot speed. I bike past a 400m track ever day, so I could stop off there maybe two or three days per week and work on my 400m. Two or three other days I can do core stuff at my CF box.

I'm 37, 6ft, 175lbs, tiny bones (chicken wrists), pretty lean. Right now, my 400m time is around 70 seconds - PR 68 (last summer). Thing is, I don't sprint it - I just can't keep a sprint that long. My 400m is either a 150m sprint followed by a 250m wheezing gulumph or a 400m quick jog (then I come out around 90-100 seconds).

One other problem: I tend to have a problem with ankle - achilles - shin pain when I sprint a lot or do lots of DUs. Probably goes with the tiny bone structure. So that's something I need to keep an eye on.

So ... can somebody direct me to something like 6 week training program? Some combination of technique, speed and the endurance necessary to hold out past the 150m. I could even take some video and post it for critique. I don't know if this is realistic, but I'd *like* to celebrate having my shoulder back with by running a 60 second 400m.

Oh yeah - gear. Are Nike Frees cool for this? I saw track spikes on sale (like $25), but I've heard they can really stress the lower legs. This evening I tried running in the gymnast shoes (almost like ballet shoes) I wear at my CF box today - seemed all right at the time, but they felt a little bit loose on the track and gave me blisters.
Old 03-25-2010, 04:14 PM   #2
Tony Black

Profile:
Re: 6-Week Course in 400m Sprints While Shoulder Heals

What kinda track is it?

If the tracks suitable and its not too freaky for you, you might wanna try barefoot!

One way of working up to the full 400m at a sprint is to do sessions at 150m or even 100m repeat after a good recovery. Look for say 8-10 reps. Think of it as 7/8 of your flat out speed but definately sprinting....

Then gradually weekly id say increase the distance always keeping the sprinting mode...

100-150-200-250m......

But you will generally find the last 100m is just a massive gut check as your leadened legs and screaming lungs protest at you

Counterintuitively you will probably find relaxing and not trying to force as much will give you more speed overall and espically on the last straight.

That ***** dont get any easier! Like a 500m row if a 400m feels good your doing it wrong!

Obviously work your form too (im sure some1 more articulate then me can help!).

Something to watch out for is that sprinting WILL engage your shoulders to a degree - the gait and potentially the bounce from the track. Something to bear in mind. Remember your training shouldnt hinder your recovery from your exsisting injury...

Good luck m8!
Old 03-25-2010, 04:33 PM   #3
Mike Mallory

Profile:

sprinting will engage your shoulders to a HUGE degree. I've separated my shoulder and I wouldn't have wanted to do any sprinting during the healing phase.

Your arms are what store energy for the next stance......More power transferring through the shoulder down equals more speed.

I would work on longer distances.....like>800m

Nike frees are basically a weak substitute for the vibram five fingers. GO with the real deal!

work into sprinting slowly......It's just like any other power exercise; it takes time to build a strong sprint, as most people can't effectively transfer power through the spine.
Old 03-25-2010, 06:22 PM   #4
Michael Zoda

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Mallory View Post
sprinting will engage your shoulders to a HUGE degree. I've separated my shoulder and I wouldn't have wanted to do any sprinting during the healing phase.

Your arms are what store energy for the next stance......More power transferring through the shoulder down equals more speed.

I would work on longer distances.....like>800m

Nike frees are basically a weak substitute for the vibram five fingers. GO with the real deal!

work into sprinting slowly......It's just like any other power exercise; it takes time to build a strong sprint, as most people can't effectively transfer power through the spine.
I have shoulder issues too. In fact i have been dealing with tendonitis in my shoulder for the past 2 months. Ive always wondered why i haven't been able to shake it. I got rid of all upper body motions from my routine but i never gave up sprinting. Could this be why? Does this still happen if i keep my arm tucked in?

Anyways for the OP

I dont know how much advice you would wanna take from me cuz ive had shoulder issues the past 2 months but.

To stay active i did "Michael" a lot, as well as box jumps, and 1 armed db swings/snatches. (bad arm tucked in)
Old 03-25-2010, 10:18 PM   #5
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Zoda View Post
I have shoulder issues too. In fact i have been dealing with tendonitis in my shoulder for the past 2 months. Ive always wondered why i haven't been able to shake it. I got rid of all upper body motions from my routine but i never gave up sprinting. Could this be why? Does this still happen if i keep my arm tucked in?
In my experience, the shoulder is critical for stabilizing the upper body. In some ways, trying *not* to use your arms is harder, because the shoulders have to work to hold them in place while the rest of your body bounces around. When I broke my collarbone, getting in and out of bed or in and out of a car were among the most painful things I did, solely because of the twist those actions put on the shoulders.

Katherine
Old 03-25-2010, 10:55 PM   #6
Mike Gray

Profile:

Yeah -

I know that the sprints are working my shoulders, too. But I think I can still get a lot out of it. Also, I am supposed to be moving them some. Regular, smoothly executed balance/swinging motions are part of the therapy.

RE: 800m: For my CF times, it would probably be smart, but I do want to stick to the lower distances. I just love going really fast - I used to be the "fast guy" on flag football teams and such, and if there's something I miss in CF, it's going flat out when I run.

But 10 reps @ 100, then @ 150, etc. sounds like a pretty good idea ...
Old 03-26-2010, 06:03 AM   #7
Tony Black

Profile:

Mike id say access the sprints and if your hurting your exsisting injury DONT do it m8!

Being injured suks and if you dont want to spend more time nursing it better heal properly first!

Slow is smooth and smooth is fast, with injuries m8.

Id also be dubious about box jumps - thats gotta pound the shoulder abit.

I know its hard but be patient.

Metabolic pain can and should be pushed through.

Injury pain, as a rule, should never be pushed through.
Old 03-26-2010, 03:53 PM   #8
Daan Smit

Profile:

Hi Mike,

I fractured my left shoulder (proximal humerus fracture) and injured some muscles almost 5 weeks ago when I supposedly fell on my back/shoulder after I misjudged my speed on a large ramp while skiing (I can't remember, I was unconscious ). Doc said I had to wear my arm in a sling for 4 weeks. I mostly tried to follow the crossfit schedule but one handedly, so I subbed one handed assited pullups for pullups, subbed one handed inclinded pushups for pushups, etc. In the mean time I did isometric exercises 3 to 4 times a day on my left arm to keep it reasonably "fit". I did slow and faster running with my left arm in the sling. Takes a getting used to but it didn't hurt. After two weeks I started doing ROM exercises with my left shoulder. By this time I was only wearing my sling a few hours a day and using my arm to eat etc. After 3 weeks I dropped the sling altogether and did simple exercises like girl pushups and light bench presses. Now after 4,5 weeks I still lack just a little ROM (my deltoid muscle hurts a bit), but other than that my shoulder feels good and I'm doing crossfit as rx'ed again. My right arm is a lot stronger but my left is catching up fast.

I'm no doctor but I think our bodies are very capable of handling injuries and telling us what we can and what we can't do, and this worked fine for me. I was worried that I was pushing my limits and should rather rest but it seems I did fine. I'd just try to follow the crossfit schedule as much as possible and challenge yourself to work around your injury. Good luck and please post up about your progress, I'm interested.
Old 03-26-2010, 04:05 PM   #9
Jamie J. Skibicki

Profile:

I have a slight tear in my rotator cuff (it's healing nicely, thanks for asking) and doing slower runs hurt it (2 miles or so), middle distance hurt it bad (800-400), and I break out in cold sweats from the pain of full on sprints.

Check out the Diesel crew shoulder rehab when the time is right. I've been working my other arm fairly hard and I think thats made rehab go alot quicker. I worked up to 70 and 95 for 3 sets of 5 across for press and bench with my left while the right was injured. I also switched to a higher bar placement for the squats.
Old 03-27-2010, 11:35 AM   #10
Mike Gray

Profile:

Hmm ...

Maybe I should have put this one in the injuries section!

Anyway, here's the injury situation - I'll write in another post about my running work (started today!):

I got my separation almost exactly a month ago. I was back home cf-ing 5 days later.

First three weeks, I just did some mobilization stuff and worked a lot of WODs with various obvious modifications:
- I subbed for one arm a lot. (Lots of dumbbell stuff, one-arm, ring pull ups with my feet propped on a windowsill.)
- I lightened a few things to keep my left side in on the action - e.g., knee push ups instead of normals, & went down in weight to 16# wall-balls. (Tended to favor my left side, though . not so good.)
- I found I could do DLs with very little pain after a good warm up.) Also tried some higher shoulder squats and very light OHSs, but they didn't feel right.

However, after three weeks, two less good things started developing:

One, my right shoulder and arm musculature was getting pretty beat up. (My physio was real positive about CF, but she wasn't too hot about subbing too much to my right arm.)

Two, more seriously, the week before last some pain started flaring up. Not real, real bad, but more than I'd had before. Things were developing in the wrong direction - and stuff I felt nights. Since I had a knee injury drag out for almost a year a while back, I don't want to repeat that!

I talked it all through with my physio and decided to scrap all the weights for a while. OTOH, I had noticed that I didn't have any pain at all doing any of the WODs involving a 400m run. Now, my WOD-speed 400m is typically in the 1:45 area - you know, trying to conserve energy and decide whether the next part of the round will kill me or not - but working on that part of my game seemed like a nice alternative. Physio gave me a green light, and after a few trial runs, here I am. Right now, I honestly don't think I can run fast enough to hurt myself!