CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 06-12-2007, 09:36 AM   #21
Sean Mason

Profile:
Quick question, How many of us tall guys (6'+) can do a palanche? I'm 6'2" (188cm) and working on my tuck palanche.
Old 06-12-2007, 02:30 PM   #22
Garrett Smith

Profile:
I can do a tuck planche for >10 seconds, I haven't been working on that in a long time though.

I'm thinking, along Roger's suggestion, to do the following:

Include handstands and ring supports in the warmup, along with press-to-headstand repetitions (posterior chain warmup)

Rotate strength skills, likely:
Back lever
Front lever
Planche
Make one skill the focus of the workout, doing a small bit of the other two (or maybe only one). These are supersetted with a weighted lower-body focused exercise (BS, FS, DL, OHS, SN, C&J, or one-arm/leg versions of those).
Old 06-12-2007, 04:05 PM   #23
Roger Harrell

Profile:
A 6' 2" guy doing a proper legs together planche is a rare thing even among gymnasts. Something to work toward, but you're talking a small brotherhood for sure.

Old 06-12-2007, 05:53 PM   #24
George Mounce

Profile:
I love the WODs and I will continue to do them. I think I will create a program with handstands, planche, and lever progression right after my warmup, then go to the WOD. For lower body, I will have the pistol to work on (I can get about 3/4 of the way down right now, darn my long legs!).

During July I am going to be out of the US, and probably will only have access to bodyweight type equipment/exercises, so I was planning on creating a training plan based on taking all the bodyweight WODs from a random time frame (say Sep 06-Jan 07). I would create a 30-day WOD schedule and work in the planche/lever/handstand training with it and see what type of progression I get.

I am in no way discounting the use of weights for help in progression, it is just I won't have access to them, so leverage and bodyweight is what I get to use. My guess is I will probably end up losing weight, but retaining a good deal of strength and endurance (kind of like how right now we don't dead lift for a week, yet I can still do 2x BW dead lift).

I think I will rotate primary strength skills as suggested from now on, as each helps the others.

Thanks for all the great ideas so far!
Old 06-12-2007, 05:56 PM   #25
Ian Holmes

Profile:
I would say try GTG with these movements. Do at least three minutes of static progressions five times a day. I can't ensure anything... but I imagine that fifteen minutes of actual work will pay off in big ways. The reality is that while many people spend time training towards something, the actual time spent working on these skills is not that huge. Like anything in circus or on rings... it is time spent doing it. I am unsure about Roger and Steven, but my training schedule usually puts me between 4-6hrs on actual training days.
Old 06-12-2007, 06:20 PM   #26
Andy Rogers

Profile:
My pistols and L-sits are coming along great. Full ROM on pistols... both legs. They're not rally a problem actually. I And a lot of people that I've talked to about L-sits have trouble/pain in their quads when doing them. I have tree trunk legs (part of my planche problem, I guess) and I just have tightness moving toward fatigue across my chest with L-sits. So... I'm working on maintenance and improvement on those skills somewhat haphazardly.

Like I mentioned above, I'm retraining myself on handstand skills. I'm not getting my trunk entirely straight and I've got too much weight resting on the heels of my hands so I have some technique work ahead of me there. Some bad habits to unlearn.

Most of my training and attention right now is working toward improving my planche and lever skills. My lever is MUCH stronger than my planche so I'm concentraing on balance and strength issues first with both of those skills.
Old 06-13-2007, 12:01 AM   #27
Mirza Besic

Profile:
Quote:

"Mirza: Not much triceps strength is required for a planche as you should feel it all in your chest, shoulders and biceps. Triceps strength is only required if you're working towards a planche pushup... If you're feeling it in your triceps, you should lock your arms out; then you'll feel how hard the exercise really is, hah.

Super heavy weighted dips help cause they hit the anterior delt and chest pretty heavily. The triceps strength from that won't really help at all. "

Steven:

I started feeling it ALOT more in my tricep once I started training my Planch with reverse grip which felt more natural although considerably more difficult. However; it's also much more difficult to keep your arms locked out this way as well.

I'll have to have a re-examination of my form.

Andy, unfortunately to say, but you got the weight at the wrong end of your body... leverage vise. Since you can't really make your legs smaller except for loosing fat, you have to add more weight to the top to balance it out, this of course has to be matched with a LOT more strenght overall. You have lots of work ahead if you really want a planch, but honestly... you should work for the straddle planch first. That in itself is an astonishing feat.

My friend, who used to box, can easily hold the stradle planch. He's 5'8 and 198 pounds all muscle.