CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 04-16-2008, 06:57 AM   #1
Dave Taylor

Profile:
Question about a Knee Problem

Ive got a Soldier who has a "functional tear in his ACL" What the doc says about it is that his ACL is there but isnt really doing anything. He has been in Physical Therapy, and been to the doc a couple of times, but they dont really give him any help. I was wondering if there is a way to help him strengthen it to make it more usable. right now, he is on a profile for no run, jump, march, ect. All they tell him is that there is nothing they can do for it, and the Therapist will only work him out to try and get it ready for more surgery, which the docs dont want to perform. anybody got any ideas??
Thanks
Dave
Old 04-16-2008, 04:45 PM   #2
Steven Low

Profile:
Re: Question about a Knee Problem

Lunges, stairs (not explosive), squats, some stability work, etc. Should be able to do all of those without any ACL.

I'm wondering... why is it that he has one and it's like it's not there? Is the ligament too long from a sprain or something?
Old 04-16-2008, 05:58 PM   #3
Maryanne Scales

Profile:

Dave,

If his injury is old, he should be able to do most things in CrossFit. I tore the ACL in my left knee in 1996. My insurance has denied me surgery, so I have to work around the knee. I have been able to do a lot. Squats and lunges definitely help. I also have found that doing the back extensions faithfully during the warm-up have strengthened my hamstrings (I do these on an exercise ball with my feet anchored) - that is a major bonus with ACL issues.

A few things he should avoid are things that put torque on the knee. For me, I have had problems when I am jumping down or off of things. With box jumps, I have had to step down after jumping up. I also avoid the split jerk - oh, and jumping jacks are a very bad idea. This past weekend, I was a bonehead and attempted squat jumps down wide steps while holding a kettlebell. I jarred my knee, and I now have to sit out for the rest of this week. This is the first time I have had an issue since I started CrossFit back in the Fall. It was my stupidity - I told someone before I tried it that it would be problematic with my knee. I could have done squat jumps in one place and should not have had any trouble.

I generally run on the treadmill so that I don't have to worry about uneven terrain or potholes. I haven't had any other trouble with running - there shouldn't be torque on the knee since it is forward movement. When I originally injured the knee, I was encouraged to walk on it (and swim - but I hate swimming and my knee clicks when I do). Where I lived I had to climb up and down five flights of stairs numerous times a day. I think this really helped my knee tremendously. When I went to see a surgeon about a month after the fact, he didn't believe that I had torn the ligament until he saw an MRI. He couldn't believe that I was walking as well as I was. My biggest obstacle was getting the swelling down and then regaining ROM.

The couple of times I have twisted the knee badly since the original injury, I have had decent swelling and have had to limp for about 1 - 2 weeks. Then, I am slowly able to get back into activities. I feel that my knee is recovering much quicker from this latest spill. I think the strength in my supporting muscles (compliments of CF) are a major factor.

Hope this helps!
Old 04-17-2008, 04:51 AM   #4
Dave Taylor

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
Lunges, stairs (not explosive), squats, some stability work, etc. Should be able to do all of those without any ACL.

I'm wondering... why is it that he has one and it's like it's not there? Is the ligament too long from a sprain or something?
The way he explained it to me is that the ligiment is there but it just doesnt work right