CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 01-18-2014, 07:49 PM   #11
Christopher Morris

Profile:
Re: Anyone been into a new Golds gym facility?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Shaw View Post
CrossFit didn't invent interval training, circuit training, Olympic lifting, rowing, sprinting, plyometric training, gymnastics, or any other kind of exercise. So I really don't see a problem with other businesses using this type of training providing they call it something other than CrossFit. Nor do I see a problem with them undercutting CrossFit's pricing structure, as it's an open market and they're free to charge whatever they like. If that means some CrossFit affiliates go bust, well that's bad luck for them, but business is business and that's just how it works.
Herein is the weakness of the CrossFit business model. It's based on freely available information. The monetary value of CrossFit then is in how well it is already established in its niche (a self-made niche for tr most part), and in its community ("I like my coach and his programming, and the friends I workout with). Also, the online presence that CrossFit HQ has built provides something a corner of the big box gym doesn't have.
Old 01-22-2014, 01:31 PM   #12
Aaron Chesser

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel O'Brien View Post
I foresee injuries going up because a bunch of very unqualified trainers are going to try to teach CF methods in "Golds Fit."

As opposed to the very qualifed L1's that CrossFit pumps out on a weekly basis...hahahaha
Old 01-23-2014, 10:41 AM   #13
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Progenex Athlete Ben Alderman got his start at Gold's gym where he was a manager and then started his affiliate (CFGold?) before eventually breaking off. It became a point of why split profits when I'm doing all the work vs go on my own besides dealing with the meatheads. His gym in Natomas is very nice.

One of the first places to CF in a gym in the Sac area was a Gold's that did CF down around Elk Grove. I only remember hearing about it but I think they had a CF instructor running it (not Alderman as it was before him). Most of the Gold's around Sac are gone now.

We also have a CF affiliate operating out of a local climbing gym and charging about half the typical going monthly rate. $70-75/month? I know it's kind of irritating to some of the local owners.

I had to go to a Gold's down in Pasadena in August. What a ****show. OTOH, a CF room would be nice as the bar and deadlift platform I had to SnCJ on was crappy but there was a rower to use.
Old 02-26-2014, 02:25 PM   #14
Greg Geis

Profile:

I'm surprised you don't see more of this. I've always thought the long term outlook for Crossfit will breed more "club" like facilities as opposed to affiliates. It would be a great model for more experienced Crossfitters as $150+/mo/family member year after year is going to breed some creative solutions.

I've always wanted to start something like a Buck's Gym (CF Journal article) with a few of my buddies, the equipment would pay out quickly but the facility is a more difficult proposition for most small groups. It seems like a pretty brilliant business model to take advantage of the lower price discriminating wedge of the supply/demand for Crossfit type training. I don't think that model would be a serious threat to most affiliates for quite some time. You're probably not going to breed nearly the same community/training as in an affiliate in most places. I'm sure it will hack some people off, but it's probably not a bad thing for the evolution of fitness.
Old 02-27-2014, 02:58 PM   #15
Chuck Golden

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Geis View Post
I'm surprised you don't see more of this. I've always thought the long term outlook for Crossfit will breed more "club" like facilities as opposed to affiliates. It would be a great model for more experienced Crossfitters as $150+/mo/family member year after year is going to breed some creative solutions.

I've always wanted to start something like a Buck's Gym (CF Journal article) with a few of my buddies, the equipment would pay out quickly but the facility is a more difficult proposition for most small groups. It seems like a pretty brilliant business model to take advantage of the lower price discriminating wedge of the supply/demand for Crossfit type training. I don't think that model would be a serious threat to most affiliates for quite some time. You're probably not going to breed nearly the same community/training as in an affiliate in most places. I'm sure it will hack some people off, but it's probably not a bad thing for the evolution of fitness.
I agree, I'm in the segment of the population where I've been a member of a box for a couple years but its no longer feesible for me right now, both time and money reasons (three young kids ruin all your plans). But I still "do" CF at a globo-gym and although I can't do everything that I could at a box, it's certainly a lot cheaper and I can walk in the door whenever I want and stay for as short a period a time or as long as I want. If my globo, LA Fitness by the way, had a room set up for CF, I'd gladly pay double what I'm paying now and it would still be half the cost of a box. I do miss the community and competitiveness of working out with a group but cost and convenience keep me at a globo gym right now.