CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 01-19-2007, 08:08 PM   #1
Jeff Dale

Profile:
I've seen recent references to John Berardi's website. I began reading some of the articles and
the more I read, the more it started to sound like a Body Building mindset. "Waking up in the middle of the night to down some protein so that your muscles aren't eaten alive while you sleep", etc. This got me to thinking about my IF and how I don't eat until 1-1.5 hrs after I work out. It's given me good results with losing bf and maintaining most of my LBM over the last year of losing weight. I've read up on gene expression and how I am enhancing some hormone outputs by doing this. But now I'm concerned with building strength and LBM.

I'm looking for research/literature regarding what happens while you sleep and if I should be concerned with muscle loss when fasting. I increased my zone/paleo diet to x2 fat last week and plan ou continuing this to see what happens. I've also added Bill Starr's 5x5 squat/deadlift program to help build my strength.

Any pointers on night catabolic state and the validity of it? I would tend to not agree with it since my muscles are at rest. I just want to make sure I'm not hurting my chances of obtaining increased LBM by eating the way I am. I'm also trying to keep bf under 10% while doing this.

Thanks all!
Old 01-19-2007, 08:49 PM   #2
Steve Liberati

Profile:
If your eating correctly during the day (as it sounds like you are), losing muscle mass while you sleep should not be a concern. In fact, just the opposite is true. If your eating a good healthy balanced diet...repair and maintenance genes will activate during the night to fuel your muscle growth (GH levels also increases with a good night's sleep). Sleep and nutrition go hand in hand.

It's funny how paranoid bodybuilders are when it comes to losing/gaining muscle. They fail to take into consideration other health parameters for the sole goal of "staying anabolic" around the clock.
Its the classic case of missing the forest for the trees.

Art DeVaney had a nice piece awhile back on the benefits of altering between the anabolic and catabolic states.

Here's the link:
http://www.arthurdevany.com/2005/07/...ng_anabol.html
(work/family safe)
Old 01-19-2007, 09:12 PM   #3
Mike ODonnell

Profile:
not too mention that research is now showing that if you time your protein correctly...it's more important than downing it 24/7.

I do admit that Berardi does stress PWO window and nutrition...I do believe in nutrient timing being more important than equal meals all day. As you will see with people doing IF and other types of eating..and still maintaining muscle and losing fat.

As for overnight....dont sweat it...your sleep is more important...have some protein at night and the am and you will be fine.
Old 01-19-2007, 09:41 PM   #4
Jeff Dale

Profile:
Thanks Steve! It wasn't ringing true but it's very easy to become confused with all the mis-information that you can stumble upon. The more I research, the more I realize I need to consider the source and who they may be funded by, etc.
Great link, thanks.