CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 06-29-2006, 10:10 AM   #1
Henry Adderley

Profile:
Is there a Crossfit community agreement on how much someone should weigh? For instance, if you are a certain height you should be in this weight category? Just pondering.
Old 06-29-2006, 01:23 PM   #2
Ben Kaminski

Profile:
There has been discussion about the ideal weight for a given height. In the discussion, the body types of various athletes were reviewed. Try searching for the posts, they are pretty informative.
Old 06-29-2006, 02:47 PM   #3
Chris Forbis

Profile:
5'9" 185# was stated as the ideal. Extrapolate to your own height at your own risk.

I like to look at certain elite athletes of similar heights to my own and see how much they weigh.
Old 06-29-2006, 03:13 PM   #4
David Stegman

Profile:
I'm sure it can vary a lot. Not to mention genetics playing role.

I'm 6'3" and due to the Zone and Crossfit I'm sitting at 167lbs. Although you would never guess I'm that light. I don't "look" 167.
Old 06-29-2006, 03:50 PM   #5
Kevin Perry

Profile:
whats an ideal weight for an individual 5'3'' - 5' 5''? Im at 135 for 5'4''
Old 07-01-2006, 10:52 AM   #6
Jay Bhatt

Profile:  
Kevin, my completely uneducated guess is that 135 at that height is perfect for a medium to light frame. If you have been lifting alot, or plan to, I think you could probably stand to gain another 10 pounds.

I'm 5'4" and currently weigh 158 (down from 168 on 1/1/06). I have more of a built frame, but still have a bunch of fat to lose, so I think 150 will be a good weight for me.
Old 07-01-2006, 02:21 PM   #7
Nicholas Richard Engen

Profile:
I am 5'6" at 137 and had always thought 165-170 sounded like a good number. Although I guess now I am more concerned with my performance then the number I see on the scale in the morning.
Old 07-02-2006, 06:00 AM   #8
Darrell E. White

Profile:
Henry and Kevin:

IMHO, speaking as a washed-up ex-jock (46yo) and not a doctor, ideal body weight probably has more to do with frame and performance than any established standard. I just finished my first 6 months of CF. Started around 15 or 16% BW fat, 155 lbs., 5'8 1/2". Now 152, around 10% but MUCH stronger, faster, and generally fitter in my every day activities. What's my ideal weight? No idea! I may yet have to up my food intake to keep from losing lean mass now,

I DO know that I perform much less well when I am heavier (I have a very light frame). As a 20 year old college football player I tried to bulk up one year. Went from 150 to 163, essentially all muscle, and saw my 40 time increase by 0.4 seconds. To paraphrase the president of the college in Animal House: "short, chubby, and slow is no way to go through a football career, son."

Consider setting some physical life goals and aim for a lean weight that maximizes your performance. WOD times are my benchmark for now.

D.
Old 07-02-2006, 06:18 AM   #9
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Doc, glad to hear your doing so well. This is all give and take. Larger muscle mass = more power, but less strength to weight ratio, etc. If your doing CF for CF sake, then I think you could set a standard. But, if you have a sport...I think you need to think of the needs of that sport.
Old 07-02-2006, 04:56 PM   #10
Darrell E. White

Profile:
Larry:

Thanks! Pretty easy to get there if you are willing to ask for advice here and willing to listen to that advice! Consistent with that, right now I really don't have a significant sport/activity other than CF, so it is logical for me to measure my performance/size by that metric. There are a ton of threads regarding activities like triathalons, distance running, strongman comp, etc., with thoughts about CF and performance as well as size and strength.

The only thing I compete in right now is golf, and that very infrequently. Can't figure out yet if CF is good or bad for that, but frankly I'm having such a ball doing CF that I'm not sure I care.

BTW, Larry, OK if I email you about excrima/Kali?

D.