CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 01-09-2007, 01:59 PM   #1
Steven Stackpole

Profile:
Can somebody please explain "partial deadlifts" to me.
Because I do deadlifts on a regular basis on my own, for last weeks WOD of D.L.'s, I subbed partials. With the bar a measure 18 inches off the floor, which was below the bottom of my knee I did the RX'ed 5-5-5-5-5.
I'd appreciate someone in the know clueing me into the good and bad points of partials, what they work and why they work. I had never done them before, but have been told that I should be doing them from time to time.
Thanks
Old 01-10-2007, 12:58 AM   #2
Gorm Laursen

Profile:
Partials are only relevant if you have sticking points. I.e can't lock out or can only take it to knee level etc.

I'd be very reluctant to do deadlift partials as you stop the motion when there's pressure on the spine.
Old 01-10-2007, 07:44 AM   #3
Craig Van De Walker

Profile:
Partial reps are a "tool" usually used to strengthen one portion of the ROM and use much heavier weights than you otherwise could. For example rack pulls, half squats, overhead supports etc.

Good points: they allow heavier weights to be used and give you the experience of feeling that much weight. They can also be used just to strengthen a "sticking point" as Gorm mentions.

Bad points: you strengthen one portion of the movement but "not necessarily" the unused ROM

Are they necessary? Not sure

I am in the process of doing just the opposite right now. I am doing all of my DL with heavy dumbbells to strengthen my starting pull and forearms. I have heard more people doing extended range DL than partials ie lifting from 4-6" block/platform for a cycle then going to regular DL.

Old 01-10-2007, 09:47 AM   #4
Dan Ensing

Profile:
Craig brings up a great option with the extended range DL. IMHO they are better than partial DLs because they train a greater ROM and strengthen the pull off the floor.

Dan
Old 01-11-2007, 06:51 AM   #5
Steven Stackpole

Profile:
Gotcha!

Thanks guys
Old 01-11-2007, 09:16 PM   #6
Kurtis Bowler

Profile:
Steven,
I can think of a couple good reasons for you to do some partials.
Partials are great for grip strength as long as you don't use straps.
A lot of the deadlifts done in Strongman contests are partials. So it will give you a good idea what you are capable of.
I'm not sure what Gorm means by stopping the motion when you are loading the spine, but whenever I've done partials I've used a power rack or oversized plates and the motion stopped when the plates hit the floor or the bar hit the rack.
I wouldn't do them in the place of regular deads all the time, but a couple times a month would be a good thing in my opinion.
I don't know if it is true or not, but some claim the heavier weights used will strengthen the tendons and ligaments.
I've used them off and on over the last few years with good results.
Old 01-12-2007, 05:59 AM   #7
Steven Stackpole

Profile:
Kurtis
Thanks.
I've never used straps except for in comps. And even then I have had to get one of the other guys to show me how to put them on.
I've done a couple comps in which the deads were done from 18 inches. I kind of see them as a sort of "overload training" Just what you said, the heavier weights will strengthen the tendons and ligaments.
I would probably only do them once or twice a month max.

You organizing a comp this summer??

Steve
Old 01-12-2007, 01:25 PM   #8
Arden Cogar Jr.

Profile:
Steven,
I concur with Kurtis. Partials would be a must for strongman training. In the limited time I've trained with Pfister and Siders, they both have partials in their regimen. Normally done every other week. With straps. And well beyond what they would pull from the floor.

IMO, these movements overload the muscles and tendons, but the ROM is limited so there's less chance of injury.

I do these types of movements myself, but I don't handle near the weight. I love them. But in limited doses.

The Hummer Deadlift at the Arnold is very much an usual partial dead. Normal height initially. But the bar is really long and it bends. So the bar gets progressively heavier as you move upwards. Awesome lift.

All the best,
Arden
Old 01-12-2007, 01:47 PM   #9
Kurtis Bowler

Profile:
Steven,
We are in the process of picking a date. We should have one in the next week or so.
It was too much fun last time to not do it again.
Are you thinking about a road trip?
Kurtis
Old 01-12-2007, 01:58 PM   #10
Arden Cogar Jr.

Profile:
Oh I forgot to add that partial deads coupled with olympic lifting is by far the fastest way to seriously beef up the upper and middle back. I'm a very experienced lifter and I've made more muscularature progress in that area in the past year than I had in the previous six years combined. I seriously contribute that to partials, power cleans and presses, and snatch movements.

I think everyone should do some partials to tax the system at a different level.

All the best, Arden