CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 08-15-2006, 11:13 AM   #1
Marc Kriss

Profile:
Sorry if this topic has come up before - actually, I was just reading the "Teaching O-Lifts" thread, which is similar, but my issue is just a tad different and a bit more specific.

Basically, I am having problems with my Clean form. I have been working (1 week) on the Burgener Warmup, but feel as though my timing is off when I go to execute the clean. I think I am deadlifting, shruging, pulling properly, but I have real problems getting under the bar at the right time in the full squat position. Should I be looking at working on progressive exercises or trying to perfect this one. Any other tips/comments would help.

also, i have no clue on the snatch, and dont know of any O-lift coaches around. should i just work on the warmup and OHS, and wait on the snatch?

thanks-
Old 08-15-2006, 11:53 AM   #2
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:
The Burgerner Warmup is for the snatch.
:uhoh:

The pull-under starts the millisecond after the knees, hips, and ankles have finished extending. Not one millisecond before.
Old 08-15-2006, 12:26 PM   #3
Josh Brehm

Profile:
I may be totally wrong in this, but the way I see as the best way to learn the clean and jerk and the snatch are to break them up into seperate movements. For the clean, learn the deadlift and front squat, then the clean high pull, then the power clean, then the full squat clean. That's what I'm doing to learn the two lifts and it's working well for me. Also, look up a bunch of legit oly vids, either on here or on other good sites and analyze exactly how they lift, and compare it to yourself.
Old 08-15-2006, 02:42 PM   #4
Rene Renteria

Profile:
Thinking "stomp" after the jump is what has helped me here. Here are two previous threads related to this:

http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/22/20554.html

http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/22/21450.html

But also see here for some issues with thinking "stomp":
http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/22/15743.html

Best,
Rene'

(Message edited by rrenteri on August 15, 2006)

(Message edited by rrenteri on August 15, 2006)
Old 08-15-2006, 02:52 PM   #5
Rene Renteria

Profile:
PS--This is interesting as well, from Coach Glassman:

http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/22/1027.html
Old 08-16-2006, 06:36 AM   #6
Marc Kriss

Profile:
Josh- Exactly what I was getting at. I think I need a good progression to work up towards the full squat clean. I think I am deadlifting good, shrugging, and high pulling good. Maybe I need to add what you term the "clean high pull," which would essentially be the deadlift and high pull in one explosive movement. I think after that, though, I really need to concentrate on getting under that bar in the squat position. Timing seems to be my issue.
Old 08-16-2006, 06:49 AM   #7
Marc Kriss

Profile:
Renee- Thanks for these. My issues with timing are well noted here by Mike B. himself:

"""what one wants is a viscious extension like when jumping but one moves their feet out to a wider (landing position) when receiving the bar. i teach loud feet because it seems to get the athlete to move quickly under the bar. the change of direction from a full extension to a receiving position takes coordiantion and timing...and quickness...that stomp/land wants to be agressive and is due to the quickness in changing directions from the full extension."""

i think thats a big issue for me right there. The stomp may help.

Also, I think Lincoln put it perfectly:

"""Front squats, lots of them. A squat clean is not much more than an explosive deadlift right into the bottom position of a front squat."""

Got some stuff to work on. GREAT STUFF. Thanks to all---
Old 08-16-2006, 06:57 AM   #8
Chris Forbis

Profile:
To get better at getting under the bar... start from the high hang. Shoulders shrugged, triple extension. Then drop under the bar. There is no pull involved. Obviously start light.
Old 08-16-2006, 07:15 AM   #9
Marc Kriss

Profile:
Chris - No pull involved in this drill, or no pull involved in the Clean? Oh crap, please say drill.
Old 08-16-2006, 09:08 AM   #10
Ross Hunt

Profile:
A squat clean is not much more than an explosive deadlift right into the bottom position of a front squat.

I'm sure that this statement made sense in the context in which Lincoln mentioned it, but it seems like, taken by itself, this could cause all SORTS of problems.

For instance, if somebody told me this, when I didn't know any better, I might well end up pulling with my back off the floor or finishing the second pull with a big back extension and trying to swing the weight into the bottom position. [Rather than pulling the shins back off the floor and standing up for the second pull] Bad medicine...