CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 04-26-2007, 09:50 AM   #1
Howard Wilcox

Profile:
I was having a little pain in what seemed like the shoulder where it touches the bicep. A PT went through some tests and it seems like the subscapularis is tweaked. What a strange injury. I'm not sure how it started but I recall feeling pain when I did OHS with 95lbs w/o warming up at all. Stupid. Now pressing movements are painful.

Anyone have any experience with this and/or know how long to expect it to take to heal?

Thanks...

howard
Old 04-27-2007, 01:31 AM   #2
Christian Lemburg

Profile:
I had a subscapularis problem about a year ago when I did too many MUs.

You can massage the subscapularis yourself by sitting on a chair, inserting the other side hand into your armpit, feeling for the hard lump of muscle at the middle upper back of the pit with your fingers, straightening the fingers and pressing in. You can increase the pressure by pulling on the elbow of the other side arm with the same side arm.

With massage, recovery was about 2 weeks for me.

For details about why and how to massage, see http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/27/14941.html.

Good luck, and fast recovery,

Christian
Old 04-27-2007, 07:27 PM   #3
Nadia Shatila

Profile:
Hi, Howard-

I had a similar problem, mine was a result of too many kipping pull-ups. The pain got so bad it was hard to put my car into drive or to turn the steering wheel. I finally went to the physio and was told I have tendonitis in the sub scap. She did some trigger point work and after about 5 session the pain is almost gone. The pain started in October, I kept doing pull-ups and I didn't go to the physio until February. Very stupid on my part.

Anyway as Christian said massaging the subscapularis is very helpful. After every workout I stick my back up aginst the end of the dip bar and find the lump and hold there. It can be very painful, but it really helps. You can also roll on a tennis ball.

Good Luck and hope you are feeling better soon!
Old 04-27-2007, 08:15 PM   #4
Howard Wilcox

Profile:
Thanks folks,

I'm still not sure the exact cause, but the kipping pullups could be it (especially since I'm still learning them and don't have smooth/efficient technique yet). Especially since I did them cold a couple times.

Of course, this makes me wonder if they shouldn't be part of the CFWU...but I guess that's another question.

howard
Old 04-28-2007, 10:55 AM   #5
Nadia Shatila

Profile:
Howard, I forgot to mention something you pointed out. I also did my kipping pull-ups pretty cold...now I've omitted pull-ups from my version of the CFWU and added in some handstands and Burgener WU to really hit me shoulders before I do any sort of pull-ups.
Old 04-28-2007, 11:12 AM   #6
Chad McBroom

Profile:
You might want to take a look at www.tpmassageball.com. I used this when I had plantar fasciitis and it worked wonders. Also look at www.minimasseuse.com. This is another awesome tool. Both of these massage the area to generate blood flow to the area which promotes the healing process.