CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 08-31-2006, 12:14 PM   #1
Arden Cogar Jr.

Profile:
Hello All,
I tried to post this once, but I screwed up. My wife and I have decided to build a nice home gym. We are buying a 30x60 loft pole barn and we're turning 20x30 of it into a two car garage and the other 40x30 of it into a training area. The entire upstairs we are going to turn into a living area - studio apartment sorta thingy. It will be heated by an outside wood furnace (training wood will finally be used). Everything upstairs and down stairs will be drywalled, insulated, etc. Not pretty, but functional.

About half of the 40x30 area will house our lumberjack sports stands and implements. The other half will be our home gym.

Here's what I have thus far
1. 700lbs of oly weights
2. oly bench
3. squat stands
4. vertical leg press
5. varying size swiss balls
6. varying size medicine balls
7. Atlas Stones weighing 70, 100, 150, 215, 245 and 275 (should be making the three bigger ones very shortly).

Here's what I'm contemplating on getting as I'm finally in a position to make this place what I've always wanted.

1. Power rack
2. 300lbs of bumper plates
3. reverse hyper/glute ham
4. kettle bells 15 to 90

Also going to add these things sincet he ceilings will be 14' high.

1.A rock climibing wall
2.a basketball hoop.

Given that the barn, the furnace, the concrete pad, the insulating, the drywalling, etc. will be pretty pricy, I'm on a limited budget, about $3 to $4k. The stuff I've listed about has me at about $3k.

Is there anything else I should put in there? Or budget for? Just thinking out loud and I'm open to suggestions. It's 40 minutes for us to get to the nearest gym and none that we go to have bumper plates and lifting stones is not an option.

Thanks in advance,
Arden
Old 08-31-2006, 12:48 PM   #2
Ben Kaminski

Profile:
No Rings? At $130 or less they wouldn't add much to your budget but could add a lot to your training. I notice the rower is absent too, but that's a more specialized and expensive piece of equipment.
Old 08-31-2006, 12:53 PM   #3
Arden Cogar Jr.

Profile:
Great advice. The gym we train at has a set and they're adjustable so we use them for pullups, pushups and dips. My phat azz hasn't quiet mastered the muscle up.

All the best,
Arden
Old 08-31-2006, 02:30 PM   #4
Eugene R. Allen

Profile:
This is right up my alley. I have a 1,500 square foot gym that I have outfitted in very much the same way as you are planning...sans the basketball hoop and those huge friggen stones that I would have no use for since there is very little I can do with something that weighs 275 pounds. I have a rock climbing wall and if you have not yet figured out how to build it I can fill you in on that. Also I have thousands of holds of varying types I can sell to you very cheap. I bought out a climbing gym of their holds and got a great deal, but to get the deal I had to buy all their holds. I didn't need all that I have so I have plenty left over.

First, you need stall mats. About $40 each for 4 x 6 mats that you can get from place that sells horse stuff. Perfect for dropping kettlebells and bumper plates. Don't skimp here, you will be very happy to have this perfect training surface everywhere you plan to hoist weights overhead.

A power rack takes up a lot of room and is not easily portable. Have you considered some Vulcan Racks and Pillar's of Power from Ironmind? There are some posts here as to the pros and cons. Check them out before you get your rack.

Bumper plates and kettlebell for sure. Dragon Door is the best but most expensive. You can find posts about KB's here too.

Get a good glute ham device rather than one of those 45 degree back extension machines. They can set you back $500 to over a grand but that's a really valuable machine.

How about a Concept 2 rowing machine? You can get a used C model for $400 to $600 and a new one is under $900 to your door step.

Reserve a wall for white board. Go to the hardware store and get sheets of 4 x 8 white board and screw it right into the wall. I just augmented my smaller boards with a couple big sheets but haven't taken a picture of it yet. I'll do that latter on tonight and post that for you to seen. White boards are a must have.

You need slam balls. You can only get a basketball up to about 22 pounds with playground sand, to get it heavier you need metal shavings. I haven't found a source for that yet, I used what was in my D-max balls after I broke a couple. Pierre Auge has a post on how to make you own.

Oh wait, I scrolled up and see you have squat stands already. Do you have a specific want or need for the power rack?

Assuming I don't have a senior moment and forget, I'll send you some pics of my climbing wall, the new white board set up and some other stuff you might find useful to see.
Old 08-31-2006, 05:24 PM   #5
Tim Triche, Jr.

Profile:
re: heavyass slam balls:

Reclaimed lead shot is $20 for 50 lbs. on eBay. There's one seller in particular who specializes in this. I will probably buy more since I have used up all of my first order, but think "heavy sand". Metal shavings are horrible, I get them in my fingers, crook of my elbow, etc. from my bench grinder when I grind down stuff to weld. If you ever bust a ball full of small shavings in your garage, you will dread the thought of walking barefoot in it ever again. I'd suggest shot.

The other plus to small grain shot is that you can load it similarly to sand -- small choke funnel or a very large bore syringe will work OK, and you'll get a very heavy ball if you mix it with the sand.

re: GHD notes:

I'm pretty sure that GHRs are responsible for putting 45lbs on my deadlift so it's tough to argue with buying a "real" one if you can afford it. Someone was selling a Sport Strength GHD ($1200 unit, made by Fred Hatfield's company) not too long ago on eBay for $75 -- occasionally you see unbelievable deals like those crop up...

You might want to locate a wall-ball target in an overhead location that's usable for ballistic (medicine-ball-tossing) GHD situps -- truly the king of abdominal movements! That's about my only regret for not having a free-standing GHD, not being able to do ballistic situps on it.

re: rings:

If I had a 14' ceiling like yours, the very first thing to go in would be a set of rings! They are terrific, perhaps the best $60 I ever spent, and that's with just barely enough room for me to do a full muscle-up. You can probably do swings with your ceiling height. (!) I bought mine from www.ringtraining.com -- Tyler says that he is finally catching up with demand, but still, you might want to place your order sooner rather than later. I do suggest sanding the gripping surface with some 32-grit sandpaper to rough it up, though. The way they arrive, I felt was too smooth for secure gripping.

(Message edited by ttriche on August 31, 2006)
Old 08-31-2006, 05:49 PM   #6
Roger Smith

Profile:
Really good idea on the reclaimed lead shot. I can't believe they SHIP 50 pound for $8!!! Crazy cheap...(I'm going to email them about shipping..just can't see how priority for that price?)

Metal slivers SUCK... The stuff is impossible to sweep up. I've had the best luck using a magnet, but it also attaches to all other metal..

(Message edited by rogersmith on August 31, 2006)
Old 08-31-2006, 05:51 PM   #7
David Sailor

Profile:
I've spent the past 6 months building my gym out and started with what I thought was critical first, or affordable, or both.
Started with a d-ball and sandbag, mats, rings from Tyler, Powermax bells from Gill's, thanks Karl!, a timer which counts up and down. Dynamax 20 lb ball, oly bar and bumpers, plyo boxes from Pierre, and finished with a GHD, a cheap one from NY Barbells but pleased with it so far and my favorite item which has developed into a love/hate relationship, the Concept D rower.

I went into this with the approach that Crossfit is the only way for me and set out to acquire a complete gym. I don't have a lot of space; a 12x13 room in the basement and an 8x12 room beside it that has the rower, a treadmill we already owned and storage for the boxes, etc. I don't regret any purchases and won't part with anything. Pick what items make the most sense to you and build around them as time and money permit. David
Old 08-31-2006, 06:04 PM   #8
David Cynamon

Profile:
how about a climbing rope
Old 08-31-2006, 09:11 PM   #9
Eugene R. Allen

Profile:
http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/26/29509.jpg
http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/26/29510.jpg

Here are my boards. Be sure to save a wall for yours. Pacific Fibre for your climbing rope. Pullup bars all over the place of course, you can use plumbing pipe for that.
Old 09-01-2006, 07:12 AM   #10
Arden Cogar Jr.

Profile:
Eugene,
That is awesome advice. Man, you've got an awesome place!!!! I love it. I especially love the white board. I'm definitely going to do that. I'll try to answer your questions and ask some questions about what you've written.

first off, I have no idea how to build a rock clibming wall. I found some places on the net that sell prefabricated walls that you bolt to the studs. Is there an easier and cheaper way? If so, I'm all for it. Because the sheets for the wall were like $500 for 6x6 sheet. I'm all ears on that one.

I completely agree on not skimping on the floor surface for overhead lifting. One of my best friends lives about 20 minutes from NY Barbell and I was going to drive to his place and buy most of the equipment from them to save on shipping. They have 4x8 sheets of rubber matting that's 3/4" thick for $65. I thought I'd get three of these. I've considered getting those rubber mats that you can piece together, but that stuff is pretty expensive. There's some stables nearby, I'll go check out their Stall Mats. If the price is right, I'll save myself some coin.

I realize the power racks take up a lot of room, but I'm not too worried about space. The rack I intend on getting was one from NYB. I wanted to get one of Louie Simmons' racks but it was nearly a grand. I have the squat stands (just like the bench) from when I was younger and I'll probably use them for something. they've been at my parents house for nearly two decades now - unused. I intend on pretty much well using the power rack for everything except the overhead stuff. I come from an old school powerlifting background that recently incorporated oly lifting and odd lifts and crossfit WODs to round myself out from an athletic standpoint.

I'm probably not going to get a rowing machine and instead I'm going to rely upon my sport training to get the extra cardio I need other than the running and walking I alredy do. Crosscut sawing (single or double) is very similar to rowing and more difficult although it focuses primarily on one side of the body. here's some examples
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEzXZ...elated&search=
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tj9m...elated&search=

I'm definitely getting the white board. I and my kids will love it. Do you calender everything? Keep track of things month to month? List PR's on the board? My wife could benefit from this too.

I'm a little ignorant. I've never done slam ball. Where would I get a tutorial on this? What's the concept? I've seen some people do it, and it's very similar to the underhand chop
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WA9hKrM8xFU
That's me competing at the events at one of larger contests.

Ah, the wall ball. I do that and I love it. That's the idea behind using the shot in the basket ball correct? I like that idea. And cheap. how do you seal the ball once you stuff it?

Here's the glute ham I'm considering getting -
http://www.newyorkbarbells.tv/82651.html
It's not the quality of a westside device, but I like that I use it for both glute ham and reverse hyper. I never go heavy on either, so i'm comfortable with the lighter weights.

Tim, I really like the idea about the rings. www.ringtraining.com? I've never looked for them before. I'll get on that.

I also like the idea of a climbing rope. I've never done it before. But I'm willing to give it a go. I'm not a slight fellow at all, but I love this type of training.

thanks to everyone for your imput.

All the best,
Arden